Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Australia says Michael Cheika will see out his contract

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby Australia says Michael Cheika will see out his contract

August 28, 2018 10:37am
    by Vince Rugari

UNDER fire Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has the full support of the Rugby Australia board and will see out his contract, according to CEO Raelene Castle.

But at the same time, Castle said the governing body “can’t just ignore” the team’s below par performances across the first two Bledisloe Cup Tests.

Castle is set to meet with Cheika later on Tuesday to discuss Australia’s form and what more needs to be done to bridge the ever growing gap between the Wallabies and All Blacks.

Castle name checked defence as a problem area, potentially putting assistant coach Nathan Grey in the gun after the Wallabies leaked 78 points in their Bledisloe Cup defeats in Sydney and Auckland.

But Castle said there was no prospect Cheika would be sacked before the end of his current deal, which runs out after the 2019 World Cup.

"He’s contracted through to World Cup. He’s got a plan, we’re across that plan, we’re comfortable with it,” Castle told reporters in Brisbane on Tuesday.

“But clearly, you can’t just ignore the performances, they’re not acceptable.

“So it’s about what can we do to support him as an organisation to make sure he’s got what he needs to make sure the Wallabies are successful as we lead into that World Cup.

“Certainly from our perspective, the board and myself, our support’s behind Michael Cheika.”

Castle said Rugby Australia would explore if Cheika and his coaching staff needed “extra support” to improve their on field prospects.

But after fulltime assistant coaches were introduced for the first time this year and a trial match arranged to blow out any pre-Rugby Championship cobwebs, it’s hard to imagine what more could be done.

“There’s different parts of the game we haven’t performed, particularly around our defence, and that would be something that we’ll be having a conversation about,” Castle said.

“I don’t think it’s about changing what we’ve got, it’s about what can we bring. We’ve got a wide rugby community that’s had significant success on the world stage.

“What can we use in those experts that are proud Australians that want to help the Wallabies to make sure that we can continue to be successful?”

“It’s hard, because we all want to beat New Zealand. That’s the reality. They’re the benchmark, they have been for such a long period of time,” Castle said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...be9-1535425701

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Blah blah blah. And by the way ARU, your “wide rugby community” is a lot less wide for you now that you’ve shunned WA into your rear view mirror.

Sorry Raelene but your words are empty and meaningless.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    "Michael Cheika has the full support of the Rugby Australia board"

Ah, the dreaded vote of confidence!

"He’s contracted through to World Cup. He’s got a plan, we’re across that plan, we’re comfortable with it” Castle told reporters in Brisbane on Tuesday.

Castle's a Kiwi, right. John Mitchell has tried destroying South African rugby, and there's rumours of him joining Eddie Jones as England's defence coach, so that'd be another Tier 1 nation down the pan. The plan's working!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Unbelievable.... ( it’s hard to imagine what more could be done ) How about the RA board resigning in its entirety....that would be a start. How about making Rugby in Australia about ALL Australia....Raelene that might help ....The Corporate claptrap doesn’t cut it . WTF

vCash
    Reading between the lines this story is essentially

"We can't afford to pay out Michael Cheika, he nailed our tits to the table when he had the opportunity now, the only way we could even consider getting him out before the end of his contract is to reduce the vast amount of money that's going to Clyne's network of mates in Melbourne.

So he stays!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

Zackly what I was thinking. Cheika'd have to be worried now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Yes I was wondering if that statement of 'support' was about to come out - that really seals his fate.
    And.....“So it’s about what can we do to support him as an organisation to make sure he’s got what he needs to make sure the Wallabies are successful as we lead into that World Cup." what- is it everyone else's fault not Cheik's that they're losing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    what- is it everyone else's fault not Cheik's that they're losing?
    Close, I reckon they can afford to "keep" the others "accountable"

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    He is fine this the RA we are talking about here.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Champion
    vCash
    The wollys will beat SAF in Brisbane next weekend and everyone will be giving him praise.:: just you wait and see !

Odds on favourite with the TWF bookie (has to be)

vCash
    See out his contract is the same as paying out his contract. Screwed if you do or screwed if you don't.

They will sack Nathan Grey and have some team selection oversight.

Chieka is bullet proof...….one way or the other.

Start paying coaches and players based upon results.

We are now stuck and I do mean stuck with Hooper for 5 long years...…..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

It would be unusual for RA to look inwardly at a problem.
    Although I wouldn't miss Cheika's protestations from the coaches box, if they did decide on a change.

vCash
    Eales defends Cheika saying (paraphrased) "it was new Zealand, nobody could have beat them" and "I'm sure the other games.... Anybody can beat anybody"

What about Ireland? Is it because they're higher than us in the rankings?

England? Same?

I suppose once Georgia is higher than us on the rankings, it still won't be Cheikas fault that they lose.

He also mentioned that poor super rugby form was the cause, lokk for a call to shrink again #watchoutbrumbies

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Castle name checked defence as a problem area, potentially putting assistant coach Nathan Grey in the gun after the Wallabies leaked 78 points in their Bledisloe Cup defeats in Sydney and Auckland.

Does the CEO usually get into that kind of coaching detail? Can't imagine Cheika will take well to being told how to coach by Raelene.

Saying that Nathan Grey Waratah defence use to leak a lot of points and he was rewarded with the Wallabies defence coaching gig. Can't be too much a surprise the trend continues. Definitely needs to get the boot.

vCash
    Grey is way overdue for the chop ... but Castle saying Chiek's is ok but results are unacceptable ?
    Are Coaches rated on results ... or does he need Gaffney to come as consultant ?!

Need a poll on who could replace him ... given budget and constraints of having to select Hooper & Pocock and a quota of Tah's.

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast