Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby set for NSW expansion

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Hey Ex, apparently Sydney Subbies rugby is as bad as everyone else in the country. It appears that the way to be a successful rugby competition you need to shed teams like Penrith - wait, that sounds familiar

Just thought you'd like to know!
    I have been waiting for this.

Shute Shield is a very successful competition. It has been a very successful competition for a number of years. Sorry about that.

Shute Shield attracts more spectators than the Waratahs. Has done for the last couple of years.

Shute Shield gets good viewer numbers on TV. Even tho putting this competition on TV is killing them to do it.

Shute Shield gets zero support from ARU or NSWRU or Suburban Rugby Union.

Penrith Emus Rugby Union is a completely different story IMHO.

Personally, I believe that Andrew Forrest's, Matt Hodgson's and F45's investment in Penrith Emus is a mistake. Penrith Emu's is, were and are a complete basket-case of Western Sydney Rugby.

At the start of this season, Penrith Emus Rugby owed its President Jim Hood approx 100 thousand dollars. Jim Hood stood up at the previous years AGM that if he wasnt given the Presidency, he would put the club in to Administration because of the money he was owed.

Penrith Emus Rugby has struggled to field teams for the last 20 years. In Shute Shield each Saturday you are required to have 7 Teams run on the paddock. 4 Senior Teams and 3 Colts teams. For the last 2 or 3 years Penrith Emus have consistantly forfitted 2 or more teams each and every week and had Colts players play multiple games. Even tho Under RA guidelines Colts are not permitted to play more than 70 minutes of Rugby in a Day. (Or something like that).

Whilst the money from F45 gets Penrith Emus back in the Black, financially. It does not change the fact that they find it very difficult to attract players. Of the former players that were with the club. They have all gone to greener pastures and found success. My Club has 13 former Penrith Emu players and of those players the majority of them just won 2 Premierships. I can not speak for these players or their intentions but they appear to be very happy with their current Rugby Club.

Penrith Emus Rugby has never been competitive. They have had seasons where they have had 100's points scored against them week in and week out, any time that they find or develop a player that has skill and talent that player is immediately made an offer by Sydney Uni or Randwick or the other big clubs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I have been waiting for this.

Shute Shield is a very successful competition. It has been a very successful competition for a number of years. Sorry about that.

Shute Shield attracts more spectators than the Waratahs. Has done for the last couple of years.

Shute Shield gets good viewer numbers on TV. Even tho putting this competition on TV is killing them to do it.

Shute Shield gets zero support from ARU or NSWRU or Suburban Rugby Union.

Penrith Emus Rugby Union is a completely different story IMHO.

Personally, I believe that Andrew Forrest's, Matt Hodgson's and F45's investment in Penrith Emus is a mistake. Penrith Emu's is, were and are a complete basket-case of Western Sydney Rugby.

At the start of this season, Penrith Emus Rugby owed its President Jim Hood approx 100 thousand dollars. Jim Hood stood up at the previous years AGM that if he wasnt given the Presidency, he would put the club in to Administration because of the money he was owed.

Penrith Emus Rugby has struggled to field teams for the last 20 years. In Shute Shield each Saturday you are required to have 7 Teams run on the paddock. 4 Senior Teams and 3 Colts teams. For the last 2 or 3 years Penrith Emus have consistantly forfitted 2 or more teams each and every week and had Colts players play multiple games. Even tho Under RA guidelines Colts are not permitted to play more than 70 minutes of Rugby in a Day. (Or something like that).

Whilst the money from F45 gets Penrith Emus back in the Black, financially. It does not change the fact that they find it very difficult to attract players. Of the former players that were with the club. They have all gone to greener pastures and found success. My Club has 13 former Penrith Emu players and of those players the majority of them just won 2 Premierships. I can not speak for these players or their intentions but they appear to be very happy with their current Rugby Club.

Penrith Emus Rugby has never been competitive. They have had seasons where they have had 100's points scored against them week in and week out, any time that they find or develop a player that has skill and talent that player is immediately made an offer by Sydney Uni or Randwick or the other big clubs.
    That is a terrible situation and very unfortunate. Why can't they produce 7 teams? Is the area too small? And how does Parramatta go? Do they manage to produce 7 teams week in, week out?

And on another note I dont think Twiggy had that much investment in the Emu's. He may have mentioned that they were hard done by but the half time interview and media reports point to a new WSR Rugby side for Western Sydney as a whole with a polynesian mix from the Islands

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    That is a terrible situation and very unfortunate. Why can't they produce 7 teams? Is the area too small? And how does Parramatta go? Do they manage to produce 7 teams week in, week out?

And on another note I dont think Twiggy had that much investment in the Emu's. He may have mentioned that they were hard done by but the half time interview and media reports point to a new WSR Rugby side for Western Sydney as a whole with a polynesian mix from the Islands
    In a 30 KM Radius centered on the home ground of the Penrith Emus, there are 6 Rugby Clubs of various grades and division none of whom have problems with putting teams on the paddock. This includes the Club that I am a Committee Member of. In the same area there would also be 20 plus Rugby League Clubs fielding - and paying players.

The problem with the Penrith Emus is one of Club Culture. Or a lack of it. 2 years ago, one of the Penrith Emus Committee members approached one of his own club players and asked him not to speak to a referee like he did on the field that gave cause for the player to be given a yellow card. The Committee Member was knocked to the ground and was repeatedly assulted by up to 10 club players. A week later at an emergency AGM of the Club - the decision of "boys will be boys" and no further action was decided as the best result and 4 Committee members resigned in protest.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    [QUOTE=Exile;459232- the decision of "boys will be boys" and no further action was decided as the best result and 4 Committee members resigned in protest.[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like our leaders in head office must have been involved!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Let's see how Penrith go with professional people helping them rather than Committee men who do their best.

The Shute Shield criteria is rather outdated as players playing the game after school has dwindled across the board not just in Australia. I say a number of clubs are struggling to meet it and having to use players from other grades to fill their teams. Then you have the modern laws of having to field a fully trained front row on the bench to be able to have a competitive match.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hmmm. Interesting.

"World Series Rugby" trademark pending to Sea of Blue Pty Ltd
    "WSR Asia" and "WSR North America" trademark pending to World Series Rugby Pty Ltd

edit: I see Jack Ma of Alibaba fame is retiring "to pursue philanthropy in education".

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by blueandblack; 08-09-18 at 12:44.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting.

"World Series Rugby" trademark pending to Sea of Blue Pty Ltd
    "WSR Asia" and "WSR North America" trademark pending to World Series Rugby Pty Ltd

edit: I see Jack Ma of Alibaba fame is retiring "to pursue philanthropy in education".
    North America? Wow

vCash
    Could just be a long term preparation thing

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    North America? Wow
    I'm not sure if this is reading too much into things. but is this an indication of the NZ team in WSR next year? (Sorry, not sure how to link to the previous thread "Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders buy into new Seattle Seawolves team"...)
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=11993823

That would be an awesome/fantastic surprise!

Champion
    vCash
    1st of April?

vCash
    I'm wondering whats going on with WSR.... have RA gone total obstruction mode (if they hadn't already)? Or are we just going to press on without them(my preference)?
    Getting to near the latest time to sort fixtures etc for next year if WSR going ahead?
    Any info much appreciated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terrycobner View Post
    I'm wondering whats going on with WSR.... have RA gone total obstruction mode (if they hadn't already)? Or are we just going to press on without them(my preference)?
    Getting to near the latest time to sort fixtures etc for next year if WSR going ahead?
    No news.

Western Sydney was the last announcement.

That scumbag Brett Robinson is undoubtedly doing everything in his power to stop World Series Rugby. The guy is just another Clyne puppet being dangled on a string!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terrycobner View Post
    Remember how anxious we all were when Twiggy got involved and we got little info until it was all dotted and crossed. Have faith, I'm sure no news is good news, after all if it was all over and the pin had been pulled, we certainly would know that by now. There are amazing people that got the first part of the equation sorted, give them a chance to sort the rest. WSR is not just one team from WA and one National body to deal with, it's a whole lot bigger than that. How does the old saying go...patience is a virtue.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Remember how anxious we all were when Twiggy got involved and we got little info until it was all dotted and crossed. Have faith, I'm sure no news is good news, after all if it was all over and the pin had been pulled, we certainly would know that by now. There are amazing people that got the first part of the equation sorted, give them a chance to sort the rest. WSR is not just one team from WA and one National body to deal with, it's a whole lot bigger than that. How does the old saying go...patience is a virtue.
    I remind myself that only a week or two ago, the story came out that Twiggy was headhunting a CEO for WSR. You don't a high level CEO to change jobs, unless there is a definite exciting WSR set to be announced.

Robinson, Clyne and their Sydney mates might be able roadblock the WSR in Western Sydney for the moment. But Twiggy and Hodgo did say a month ago that they had 12-15 teams beating at their door to be in WSR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    How does the old saying go...
    Rome wasn't burned in a day?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast