Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: World Series Rugby set for NSW expansion

vCash
    Protectionism still won't work as these players aren't contracted to these clubs. At most we will be looking at five players from these clubs to supplement the WSR side and they will be back to them by the middle of May. Mountain out of a molehill.

Being ostracised won't fly with the IRB as it is approved by them Asia Rugby, Oceania Rugby and the constituent unions bar the RA. The IRB don't see it as a rebel comp so they are happy to deal with Twiggy. These unions and their confederations also hold cards in RWC votes which they will need to host the tournament as I can't see England, Ireland and France voting for them and NZ don't trust them. Ireland and France might be enough as Scotland and Wales not voting for Ireland was the difference which saw Ireland eliminated in the first round. If SA submit a bid again they can't vote.

The RA had the Irish president in the ivory tower swooning him than went to vote for the SA bid recommendation which was horse manure and the French proved that it is about votes at the end of the day. The IRFU and Irish in general have long memories and there is now animosity between them Scotland and Wales.

As for moves afoot in the east that is happening you only have to read between the lines in Michael Thomson's parting statement.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bakkies; 27-09-18 at 12:25.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It would probably all be happening anyway, but WSR really opened the door on it going head-on in Western Sydney. IMO, if they wanted to do something there, they should have underwritten an NRC team and set up a "Future Rams" academy with strict eligibility requirements. Tie that to WSR, and RA obstruction would have meant them directly owning a second kick in the teeth for WS.

vCash
    They would have to go through the NSWRU who took control of the NRC teams in NSW. You only have to see the drivel they submitted to the Senate Committee which showed their true colours.

Another thing is that Gosper knows that entrepreneurs are good for the game just don't keys to people like Andrew Cox who simply don't have the money.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Personally though, I dunno why Twiggy's bothered with the rest of the country- unless of course, the revolution actually is at hand.
    Actually, let me qualify that remark, I do know why Twiggy would be interested in the rest of the country. RA would be playing dirty and have turned themselves into an enemy, rather than a partner, so Twiggy would be taking the fight to them. So yeah, the revolution would be at hand, in that case.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Protectionism still won't work as these players aren't contracted to these clubs. At most we will be looking at five players from these clubs to supplement the WSR side and they will be back to them by the middle of May. Mountain out of a molehill.

Being ostracised won't fly with the IRB as it is approved by them Asia Rugby, Oceania Rugby and the constituent unions bar the RA. The IRB don't see it as a rebel comp so they are happy to deal with Twiggy. These unions and their confederations also hold cards....
    While this might be the way we see it, it's still real to them. What I was relaying, was what these people have said behind closed doors and we can't dismiss it off-hand. I'm not saying they are correct, I'm relaying what's been said and how they think the situation is. They cannot be belligerent with prospective franchisees, these are things that Twiggy and WSR must be weary of when dealing with an ossified, fatigued, apprehensive and already burnt-several-times group of people who are currently still beholden to RA structures.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It would probably all be happening anyway, but WSR really opened the door on it going head-on in Western Sydney. IMO, if they wanted to do something there, they should have underwritten an NRC team and set up a "Future Rams" academy with strict eligibility requirements. Tie that to WSR, and RA obstruction would have meant them directly owning a second kick in the teeth for WS.
    Yeah I suppose that's an indicator of RA not playing ball. If they were, WSR probably would have looked at something like that, something more co-operative. So going head-on is probably an indicator of what RA did in the first place.

Last edited by chibi; 27-09-18 at 14:01.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Yeah I suppose that's an indicator of RA not playing ball. If they were, WSR probably would have looked at something like that, something more co-operative. So going head-on is probably an indicator of what RA did in the first place.

While this might be the way we see it, it's still real to them. What I was relaying, was what these people have said behind closed doors and we can't dismiss it off-hand. I'm not saying they are correct, I'm relaying what's been said and how they think the situation is. And these are things that Twiggy and WSR must be weary of when dealing with an ossified, fatigued, apprehensive and already burnt-several-times group of people who are currently still beholden to RA structures.

The RA are getting in their way of Asian Rugby progress that is utter stupidity. Blocking a competition that everyone else wants and needs is not going to win friends and RWC votes. This isn't like 2003 where Aus and NZ basically got the rights unopposed, then Australia unopposed after NZ didn't comply and didn't have to submit a £125 million bid fee. The RA are too stupid and ignorant to realise this.

Not only this if SA do leave Super Rugby the RA will need Rugby Asia more than ever.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    It is stupid, that's why it'd be awesome if WSR is a success. Could really bring about the change that's needed over here, right across the country.

vCash
    Yep and the IRB are happy with Twiggy. Packer and Ross Turnbull weren't willing to do that and signed key Wallabies, ABs and Boks to a rival competition. Murdoch won out in favour of the unions however it did push the IRB to go fully pro as they knew uncle Rupert had already signed quality Rugby players to join Super League.

Champion
    vCash
    While this might be the way we see it, it's still real to them. What I was relaying, was what these people have said behind closed doors and we can't dismiss it off-hand. I'm not saying they are correct, I'm relaying what's been said and how they think the situation is. They cannot be belligerent with prospective franchisees, these are things that Twiggy and WSR must be weary of when dealing with an ossified, fatigued, apprehensive and already burnt-several-times group of people who are currently still beholden to RA structures.

Two weeks ago we read below from Georgina that WSR was approved subject to conditions, but I am reading between the lines of Chibi comments, that he is hearing from sources in Western Sydney that they are now been cowered into reverse?

13 September 2018 — 4:38pm
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Send via Email
    Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    A $4 million funding boost for rugby in western Sydney is a step closer to reality after Rugby Australia gave a conditional green light to Andrew ''Twiggy'' Forrest's bid to put a World Series Rugby team in the city's west.

High-level talks: Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle.
    High-level talks: Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle.

Photo: AAP
    A high-level meeting between Rugby Australia chief Raelene Castle and her counterparts at NSW Rugby and the Sydney Rugby Union on Monday agreed to move to the next step of discussions with Forrest and his World Series team, who are proposing to fund a team in the region as part of their eight-team vision for the international rebel league.

It is understood correspondence has been sent from RA offices making the development official, but that one of many conditions of further engagement is that Shute Shield players be off limits.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...13-p503md.html

vCash
    Not only Western Sydney, but some people I know who are connected to the game outside of the current Asia/Fiji WSR grouping. WSR has tried to look for interest in other regional and city areas of the Eastern seaboard, plus the Polynesian nations in the Pacific. It seems that these prospective groups have all spoken to one another, and this is the general feeling they have. They don't know who to trust, as nothing concrete and detailed has been presented to them (so they say) and this is probably due to RA's meddling causing WSR to not be able to give them anything concrete and detailed. It's starting to look a bit "SuperLeague Vs ARL," only this time, it's establishment who are not being terribly open, or so it seems.

I have to admit, this is why for the time-being, I'd like to see WA go it alone in this competition; which to me, should be a primarily East Asian thing with Hong Kong and Korea, more than one team from Japan; with WA and Fiji being the outliers from outside East Asia. Let the compact, exciting competition do the business next year; get World Rugby to really push it, then see what eastern Australia and the Polynesians have to offer. In the meantime, the Eastern States can keep their precious club competitions, WA and Fiji get a full WSR and NRC season to play in; and when WSR is successful, we can see what the Sydney and Brisbane clubs can come to offer us instead. Hell, if it's successful, World Rugby itself may be willing to back the Polynesians or the Sri Lankans, or whoever else is starved for a professional rugby set-up who are interested in joining.

Champion
    vCash
    Not only Western Sydney, but some people I know who are connected to the game outside of the current Asia/Fiji WSR grouping. WSR has tried to look for interest in other regional and city areas of the Eastern seaboard, plus the Polynesian nations in the Pacific. It seems that these prospective groups have all spoken to one another, and this is the general feeling they have. They don't know who to trust, as nothing concrete and detailed has been presented to them (so they say) and this is probably due to RA's meddling causing WSR to not be able to give them anything concrete and detailed. It's starting to look a bit "SuperLeague Vs ARL," only this time, it's establishment who are not being terribly open, or so it seems.

I have to admit, this is why for the time-being, I'd like to see WA go it alone in this competition; which to me, should be a primarily East Asian thing with Hong Kong and Korea, more than one team from Japan; with WA and Fiji being the outliers from outside East Asia. Let the compact, exciting competition do the business next year; get World Rugby to really push it, then see what eastern Australia and the Polynesians have to offer. In the meantime, the Eastern States can keep their precious club competitions, WA and Fiji get a full WSR and NRC season to play in; and when WSR is successful, we can see what the Sydney and Brisbane clubs can come to offer us instead. Hell, if it's successful, World Rugby itself may be willing to back the Polynesians or the Sri Lankans, or whoever else is starved for a professional rugby set-up who are interested in joining.
    That is something we have not heard from Twiggy before in his presentations or in media reports. I have heard him hint at a possible NZ side, but never anything about in Australia, outside of Western Sydney.

I guess the other complication is what Sanzaar are planning to do with Super Rugby, which is supposed to be announced in November.

The big thing for both WSR and Super is to win big TV contracts and worldwide coverage for their respective competitions.

vCash
    Indeed, I hope the WSR coverage is something akin to the free-to-air Big Bash coverage which was so successful

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ... I have to admit, this is why for the time-being, I'd like to see WA go it alone in this competition...
    I have to agree. It is probably looking over the horizon, but it feels like losing sight of the job in front of them. Step One should be making sure Step One happens, to prove it is a reality. Step Two should be worrying about Step Two later, otherwise there may be no Step Two.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What's to say step one isn't already stitched together, waiting for something before they announce?

It's one of very few things I can think of that would make it smart to turn the screws up on ra at this point in time.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    According to the Daily Telegraph Darren Coleman, head coach of the NSW country Eagles and Warringah shute sheild team is set to become the coach of the Western Sydney WSR team.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast