Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just random WSR fantasies...

vCash

Just random WSR fantasies...

Two or three teams from Japan, one or two from Korea, one each from Hong Kong, Fiji and WA would be how I'd like to see it start off.

Possible two from Korea to create a derby, something based around the existing "Yonsei–Korea/Korea-Yonsei" rivalry to see who finishes higher than each other during the season.

Japan, I'd go for the old Kanto vs Kansai / Giants vs Tigers rivalry for sure and maybe a combined "Kyushu Gangsters" team. If I had to leave a team out from Japan, I'd actually consider dropping Kanto (Tokyo), as the other two have more of a provincial parochialism about them than Tokyo does.

No Kiwis, keep the support base for Perth united behind the Force. Try to go for good home attendances all through the season, rather than just the odd Kiwi visit. Give Perth youngsters the Force as their only option for future support as their local team in their "local" competition. Also, keep a direct comparison of any playing standards between WSR and SANZAAR out of the picture. Any other Australian involvement? Possibly Adelaide, or a disaffected union like Newcastle-Hunter. But I think Western Australia should go it alone.

Still not sure about Singapore at all. But I would look at trading off the old Singapore Lions soccer franchise name and branding; marketing them as the "Lions rugby division" with a Lions chant along with it. Not sure about Malaysia either. Is Taiwan an option instead? Hasn't Thailand actually got a stronger rugby pedigree?

Fiji would be the Drua or something similar. Not sure if Tonga or Samoa can support a side, but maybe jumping the shark and going to Hawaii could be an option. Would love to see Tonga and Samoa in there though, maybe some home games in Apia and Nuku'alofa?

If we have to use World Rugby funds, then maybe Sri Lanka would be a better use of them, they would bring in huge crowds and look great on TV. Problems: the time difference issue with the Pacific; the side could be bolstered if standard is too low; the rivalry between Kandy and Colombo is more of a crowd-puller than the national team is.

Make sure every team in the league has a defined geographic moniker in their name, I can't stress this enough. Tweak the Force brand to include "Western Australia" in the name, or the very least, "Perth, Western Australia" in the official logo. We have a great geographical descriptor in our State's actual name, it would be a waste not to use it.

Fully integrated league with TV presenters from all countries involved in the broadcast. Play up the "one premiership season" aspect of the competition. Every away game on television live and an abridged replay at friendly hours. No home games on live TV. Play up the home stadia and culture of the teams involved, including WA's, to give the international aspect the gravitas it deserves. Try to show as many, if not all of the other matches of the week on FTA. Always have an extended highlights round-up every Monday in prime-time or thereabouts showcasing each match and the players. On-screen graphics are the same for every match/broadcast no matter what country. Digital advertisements on grounds to be localised for each feed, if this is possible to be done.

Alongside the internal Korean and Japanese rivalries, also play up the Japan vs Korea/Hong Kong rivalry. Market the Drua as the "Flying Fijians" the flamboyant skill-merchants from the sunny islands; in a similar vein to the way the West Indies used to be the "Calypso Kings." That may be worth it in the Asian markets. List the local junior clubs and high schools on-screen in the player's stats/info, this'll be great for the Force and Sri Lanka teams especially.

Have "Challenge Trophies" between each of the teams. The team who wins both fixtures between them in a home-and-away season, keeps the Trophy in their cabinet. Teams can make a goal of owning the "Full House" at any point in the season, based on the Trophies won, or retained from the last year. The achievement of winning any of these Challenge Trophies could be used to market matches between teams out of finals' contention. The name and design of each Challenge Trophies would be unique to the two teams involved.

At the same time, I would institute a WSR rip-off of the Ranfurly Shield, a Lord Forrest Plate, if you will; which will operate the same way as the New Zealand original. A premiership shield will be awarded to the table-topper, a championship cup to the grand final winner. The mythical combination of the "Full House," plus Lord Forrest Plate, plus premiership shield, plus grand final champions cup, could be some sort of fabled objective the teams can aim for as having the "ultimate season"

Try to keep the playing field relatively level, focusing on local players first, (that means WA-origin, Japan-first, Korea-first, Pacific Islander heritage if possible) from there, if teams need ring-ins or concessions, look into boosting the league with big names, rather than filling the teams up with foreigners. Bring in players from nations outside of the SANZAAR/Six Nations block, to emphasise the cosmopolitan nature of the competition, while keeping the local aspect the majority. Stick a small flag of the player's nation, similar to the English premiership, on the front of the player's jersey if need be. There is no need to go crazy with having the best players in the world on overblown contracts, if we can get the entertainment value of games right. Schools rugby and women's rugby are great examples of entertaining football without having the best athletes on earth playing it.

If the rules can be tweaked to free up space, then go ahead. (This is just me digressing though.)
    Possibilities could be:
    -encourage more players to head into rucks and mauls, by rewarding the team going forward regardless of whether it's either.
    -get rid of the running mark, forcing more backs to cover the attacking kick, taking them out of the defensive line.
    -six point try, one point conversion. Two point drop-kick. (Maybe. I'm not overly fussed)
    -hockey-style green card warnings, very short spells in the bin for deliberate professional fouls.
    -proper scrum must be straight, steady and still before a straight-fed put-in. Clock stops until scrum is viable.
    -clock stops when ball out of play, time-wasting by team in front added to stoppage time.
    -award a super try for a long-range movement which never goes to ground in a ruck, encouraging players to stay on their feet and start a drive before re-releasing to the backs; discouraging rugby league style hit-up play and getting back to keeping the ball alive. I would consider a competition-wide directive given to franchises to encourage an off-loading game to keep the ball alive also. Let's play rugby again! Not rugby league. As a matter of fact, "RUGBY'S BACK!" could be part of the marketing.

Ah, 'tis but a fantasy waxed lyrical...

Probably none of this is feasible, but it would be a helluva design portfolio...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 03-08-18 at 00:11.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Interesting points there Chibi-especially regarding keeping level playing fields. I don’t think 1 or 2 strong teams dominating the comp is conducive to retaining the interest of the general public/rugby fans that the WSR needs to attract as a larger audience. We’ve seen what’s happened with NZ teams. People just lose interest when ‘their’ team keeps being beaten- how the Sunwolves have stayed popular for so long is a surprise-I guess its to do with Asian culture & loyalty perhaps? I’d rather see a team grow & improve as WSR develops over the years, not an instant star studded team with no solid base, as we’ve seen with SR.

vCash
    Prior to the sin bin being introduced there was a Football style yellow card for a warning. Players didn't care and carried on being cynical. No one got two yellows in a match to see if it turned in to a red card.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The green card in hockey sends the player to the bin for a couple of minutes. Seeing as a rugby game is longer, maybe a five minute spell would be a better punishment? Just enough for a defensive team to be at a disadvantage for a few attacks?

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    They had a five minute sin bin in league players weren't bothered about getting a short spell unless they were playing the Raiders or Broncos.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    I was thinking along the lines of how sevens uses cards more liberally to prevent intentional spoilng. Two greens can result in a yellow, or persistent infringement after a green could be a straight red, the idea being that the ref has already issued a warning.

vCash
    I recall at some stage the WSR was being talked about as not just a single 15 vs 15 game, but a carnival of rugby each weekend, with men's and women's teams, and possibly men's and women's 7s.

The less rugby-prominent countries (eg, Malaysia, China) could get up to speed in the 7s more quickly, plus there's a ready-made international competition for them to aim for; and although some Muslim-dominated countries might shy away from female sides, the Chinese tend to fund them well.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I would like to see the Western Force players have on their Shorts their WA Home club.

And for all match statistics to start with their local (WA) Club.

eg:

Ian Prior (Nedlands) Captain
    Position ScrumHalf
    Caps
    He likes Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain

This is a way for our local Club Rugby to get their names out and for the young kids to indentify with their Rugby SuperStars.

"he plays for the same Club I play for"

I would like to see a thing for kids

The Puddle of Blue

What I wish to propose is a way of establishing a desire to purchase Western Force Membership in the future as well as a way of supporting Junior Rugby now. A small investment now that can see returns in the near future.

By sectioning off Part of the Southern Stand – S117 to S122 - and making all of these tickets available to Rugby playing kids you will establish a small area of the stadium that is full of loud enthusiastic supporters that will want to continue coming to watch Force games for many years to come. This can be called the Puddle – the small sea of Blue.

Tickets: these tickets should be made available to registered junior Rugby players. This way Western Force can show that they are supporting their juniors – perhaps rewarding the teams that won their match the weekend before. I would suggest the age range of junior players be from 12 – 17. That way minimal, if any, adult supervision is required.

Show Bag Each Puddle member should receive a show bag (each week) – a drink, snack, plus posters and stickers, Supporters flag or Thunder Sticks could be an option, and a discount voucher to the Force SuperStore.

Playing group: Where possible the Western Force Team should try and acknowledge the Puddle at every opportunity.

Pre-Match warm up should always be in front of the Puddle.

Reserves warm up during the match: always in front of the Puddle. Waving, Hi-5ing Puddle members at every opportunity.

Try scoring at the southern end of the park – Try scorer should get in front of the Puddle to celebrate with the puddle. For Hi-5s etc

Post Match: Playing group with Sharpie Pens go to the Puddle for Autograph session.
    Wider (non-playing) players group not required on the bench – could sit amongst the Puddle.

Small things make all the difference in the world. by establishing a Facebook page for the Puddle – you can create a mailing list to get the Force news out, create a new membership category for 2020 as a percentage of first year Puddle members are going to want Force membership for Christmas/Birthday gifts.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Jeez those are some good ideas Exile. Get some schools in, on an excursion. They can wear school uniforms on the night and sit in one prominent block and have the ground announcer acknowledge them. Maybe they can be part of the guard of honour when the players run out?

Sheikh, you're right, I remember that. At the very least, maybe each WSR game is two matches, reserves and first team? Always two games for the price of one. Always thought the sevens/fifteens combo was a worthwhile one. Could you have the sevens match at half-time?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 03-08-18 at 00:20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Jeez those are some good ideas Exile. Get some schools in, on an excursion. They can wear school uniforms on the night and sit in one prominent block and have the ground announcer acknowledge them. Maybe they can be part of the guard of honour when the players run out?

Sheikh, you're right, I remember that. At the very, maybe each WSR game is two matches, reserves and first team? Always two games for the price of one. Always thought the sevens/fifteens combo was a worthwhile one. Could you have the sevens match at half-time?
    That's how it used to be done at test matches. When you purchased test tickets through your school you sit in a section in your uniform.

Irish provinces like Munster do this with clubs. Clubs arrange an allocation for their team. Kids get in free, parents and coaches purchase a heavily discounted ticket.

Champion
    vCash
    SPORT
    WESTERN FORCE
    Andrew Forrest’s bankrolled World Series Rugby set for expansion
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian
    Saturday, 4 August 2018 2:00AM
    Nick Taylor
    Western Force in big loss
    1:13 | 7 News Perth

Western Force could battle as many as seven teams for a $1 million purse in an expanded World Series Rugby competition next year.

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest has already caused the biggest shake-up in Australian rugby since it turned professional 23 years ago by bankrolling WSR and the Force.

Initially designed to keep the Force afloat after they were axed from Super Rugby last year, WSR has established a foothold.

Forrest is getting ready to roll out a new five-year plan after the Force finish their seven-exhibition game series. Two of the new sides are believed to come from Japan.

Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now the club’s head of elite performance, has just returned from talks with high-profile Japanese clubs.

One of the leading contenders will be the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights, who the Force play at nib Stadium on August 17.

It is hoped one team will play out of New Zealand and other options include sides based in Fiji, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Now head of elite performance at the Western Force Matt Hodgson with Andrew Forrest when the ARU upheld the decision to cut the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition.
    Now head of elite performance at the Western Force Matt Hodgson with Andrew Forrest when the ARU upheld the decision to cut the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition.Picture: Nic Ellis
    Clubs could be owned by companies, individuals, national unions or current management and will not be tied to a salary cap for their 30-man squads.

Twelve parties have already expressed interest about securing an initial five-year licence and at least two more teams may be added within five years.

The competition would be played between March and June next year over a 14-week home-and-away season.

The top four sides would then go into a three-week sudden- death finals series.

Discussions are also being held with broadcasters throughout the regions where games will be played.

A WSR spokesman said the 2019 competition “remains a work in progress” but announcements could begin within the next few weeks.

The tournament would need a tick of approval from Rugby Australia before being put to international governing body World Rugby for ratification.

However, WSR shapes as a vehicle to grow the game in Asia and the Pacific Islands, regions that could become strongholds for the sport.

World Rugby is likely to take a dim view if RA did not work with WSR, but it is understood the relationship between Forrest and the national body has improved slightly since the initial fallout over the axing of the Force, who finished 15th, 16th and 12th in their final three seasons of Super Rugby.

They didn’t qualify for finals in any of their 12 seasons.

WSR has morphed from Forest’s original plan for a six-team Indo Pacific Rugby Championship and will be run by an independent board with Forrest as chairman. There will be a commission of clubs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    SPORT
    WESTERN FORCE
    Andrew Forrest’s bankrolled World Series Rugby set for expansion
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian
    Saturday, 4 August 2018 2:00AM
    Nick Taylor
    Western Force in big loss
    1:13 | 7 News Perth

Western Force could battle as many as seven teams for a $1 million purse in an expanded World Series Rugby competition next year.

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest has already caused the biggest shake-up in Australian rugby since it turned professional 23 years ago by bankrolling WSR and the Force.

Initially designed to keep the Force afloat after they were axed from Super Rugby last year, WSR has established a foothold.

Forrest is getting ready to roll out a new five-year plan after the Force finish their seven-exhibition game series. Two of the new sides are believed to come from Japan.

Former Force captain Matt Hodgson, now the club’s head of elite performance, has just returned from talks with high-profile Japanese clubs.

One of the leading contenders will be the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights, who the Force play at nib Stadium on August 17.

It is hoped one team will play out of New Zealand and other options include sides based in Fiji, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Now head of elite performance at the Western Force Matt Hodgson with Andrew Forrest when the ARU upheld the decision to cut the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition.
    Now head of elite performance at the Western Force Matt Hodgson with Andrew Forrest when the ARU upheld the decision to cut the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition.Picture: Nic Ellis
    Clubs could be owned by companies, individuals, national unions or current management and will not be tied to a salary cap for their 30-man squads.

Twelve parties have already expressed interest about securing an initial five-year licence and at least two more teams may be added within five years.

The competition would be played between March and June next year over a 14-week home-and-away season.

The top four sides would then go into a three-week sudden- death finals series.

Discussions are also being held with broadcasters throughout the regions where games will be played.

A WSR spokesman said the 2019 competition “remains a work in progress” but announcements could begin within the next few weeks.

The tournament would need a tick of approval from Rugby Australia before being put to international governing body World Rugby for ratification.

However, WSR shapes as a vehicle to grow the game in Asia and the Pacific Islands, regions that could become strongholds for the sport.

World Rugby is likely to take a dim view if RA did not work with WSR, but it is understood the relationship between Forrest and the national body has improved slightly since the initial fallout over the axing of the Force, who finished 15th, 16th and 12th in their final three seasons of Super Rugby.

They didn’t qualify for finals in any of their 12 seasons.

WSR has morphed from Forest’s original plan for a six-team Indo Pacific Rugby Championship and will be run by an independent board with Forrest as chairman. There will be a commission of clubs.
    That was a really good read. So 7 teams now pretty much confirmed which now makes it an 8 team competition over 14 weeks. This is quite amazing since they were talking of add 5 teams to a 6 team tournament only last year and people were casting doubt on that statement.

3 weeks of finals for a top 4? I assume if this isn't a typo then it means week1: SEMI FINAL 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, week 2: LOSER FINAL 3rd place play off, Week 3 winners FINAL .. or something like that. That way they can give out a bronze medal to 3rd place?

And according to the last paragraph its official the new tournament is called WORLD SERIES RUGBY which is the evolutuon to the 6 team Indo Pacific Rugby Championship. So we can officially stop refering to the IPRC from here on in. I really like the name WORLD SERIES RUGBY. Sounds great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    3 weeks of finals for a top 4? I assume if this isn't a typo then it means week1: SEMI FINAL 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, week 2: LOSER FINAL 3rd place play off, Week 3 winners FINAL .. or something like that. That way they can give out a bronze medal to 3rd place?
    Like the old WA community rugby days (and WAFL), I expect it would be:

WEEK 1:
    Game 1 1 v 2 - winner straight into GF
    Game 2 3 v 4 - Loser out

WEEK 2
    Game 3 Loser Game 1 v Winner Game 2

WEEK 3 GF
    Winner Game 1 v Winner Game 3

Player
    vCash
    Is this in the West today or just online?

Champion
    vCash
    I saw it online so not sure if it's in the paper as well..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast