Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Bledisloe Cup 2019

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Albeit, all the other states get federal money poured into their stadia whereas WA has never had any. Let alone the revenue flow...given how much money was being shipped to Victoria by the GST at the time, whose money do you think actually built their stadium? Nice to know that all that money intended to maintain the same standard of essential services was put to good use.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash

Boycott the Bledisloe

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    We are getting a Bledisloe in 2019 because they are refurbishing/rebuilding ANZ Stadium and the Footy Stadium in Sydney.
    The Bledisloe is in Sydney because they have like a 20-year contract with ANZ Stadium.
    Back from several days in Sydney on business, during which time I shared a foaming ale or two with a couple of Likely Lads from Lindfield who are on the periphery of the NSWRU/SRU/NSWSRU.

Some of their thoughts:
    1. The ARU/RA expect the 2019 Bledisloe in Perth will be a near sell-out and plan on it being a financial success.
    2. As per normal, the ARU/RA will distribute a largesse of complimentary hospitality at the Perth Bledisloe to local politicians, government officials and local rugby notables.
    3. The ARU/RA expect that residual anger in the WA Rugby Community against the ARU/RA and the culling of the Western Force should dissipate over the next couple of years.
    4. The 2019 Bledisloe in Perth is a one-off and is happening only because of the stadium rebuilds in Sydney. Melbourne gets a Bledisloe in 2020, for much the same reason (plus of course the bucket-load of money which the Victorian Government threw at the ARU/RA last year). [And not forgetting the $5M which Tourism WA slipped to the ARU/RA for the 2019 Bledisloe].
    5. On the back of the Bledisloe in Perth being a financial success in 2019, the ARU/RA may approach the WA State Government (probably through Tourism WA) about funding future Wallabies tests in Perth.
    6. In the view of the ARU/RA, no further tests between the Springboks and the Wallabies should be "wasted" in Perth [remembering that the last two tests against South Africa played in Perth in 2014 and 2017 had financially underwhelming attendances of 25,700 and 17,500 respectively, while the last two tests against South Africa played in Brisbane in 2015 and 2016 had attendances of 37,600 and 30,300 respectively].
    7. Which means that any Wallabies tests played in Perth after 2019 probably will be against Argentina or against World Rugby tier two teams; e.g. Argentina in an RC test, a July tour test against a team like Georgia, Fiji or Samoa.
    8. The present thinking of the ARU/RA is to have a Wallabies test in Perth only every second or third year, which is expected to increase the local appetite for Wallabies tests. That also would fit in with World Rugby's new global rugby calendar.
    9. The monastic silence emanating from the leadership of the ARU/RA is because the Moore Park bunker is waiting, among other things, for the 2018 numbers to prove them correct vis-à-vis the Western Force. (And the numbers, especially memberships, attendances and game day revenues for SR in 2018, aren't coming out right!)
    10. Her Serene Highness Queen Raelene appears to be enjoying the trappings of office.
    11. Any moves to revitalise rugby union in the Western Suburbs of Sydney and in the PI community in NSW will not happen quickly.

Disclaimer: the above is hearsay.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FingerTips; 28-07-18 at 19:11.

Champion
    vCash
    This makes me not want to go to the test at all. Bunch of w@@kers! Nothing I hear about then makes forgiveness in any way possible EVER!!!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    It makes it a dammed if you do dammed if you don’t. Bastards will say what a overwhelming success and we must look at your state government funding more games here if they sell it out and then take the money and run back to the east coast (to be used most likely on funding more rugby in Melbourne ). Bastards will say see we told you so if they don’t sell out the stadium, Rugby is not supported in WA and not financially viable.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater View Post
    WA in general are too slow to do anything that could improve the states perception.
    it's like all the fun police have been thrown out of the other states and sent here.
    speculate to accumulate is not an action used often in this state.
    as i've said before, we had plans drawn up for a fantastic 30k rectangular stadium in the early 2000's that would have a showpiece for the state.
    while other states have a 'just do it' attitude, we are the 'Wait Awhile' state.
    I think you forget we had the go ahead then the WAFC, true to form arked up about needing a new stadium effectively scuppering it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Rugby is not supported in WA and not financially viable.
    They will say that regardless of the numbers, they say that despite wsr beating all super rugby games for attendance. I actually think the best look for WA rugby would be a blackout. It's very possible, given the number of cuzzy bros here and it would show the sentiment pretty accurately.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    They will say that regardless of the numbers, they say that despite wsr beating all super rugby games for attendance. I actually think the best look for WA rugby would be a blackout. It's very possible, given the number of cuzzy bros here and it would show the sentiment pretty accurately.
    hmmm then maybe the kiwis might kick us a Bledisloe every few years...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Said it before, but IMO WA rugby supporters basically have two choices. They can either accept being in an abusive relationship and learn to enjoy it, or they can have nothing further to do with it. It is not a dichotomy that is going to go away while RA, NSW and Q'ld run the game simply for their benefit.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I think you forget we had the go ahead then the WAFC, true to form arked up about needing a new stadium effectively scuppering it.
    wasn't that about 2011 though, and more about the finishing off of a half-arsed attempt at nib when they concreted the lower levels?
    i think i set up a stadium committee in dum-arse house about 2001 with plans for a rectangular stadium which was much betterer than aami

cider my arse

Apprentice
    vCash
    For those that missed out on tickets or want more tickets I noticed ticketmaster has re-released some of the tickets. Theres some good seats too - on the first floor right on the 22.

I rang ticketmaster because I was up in the grandstands and upgraded to the bottom tiers. They charged me $2 each for the changes and I paid the difference between the tickets. But they will only change your seats if you are upgrading your seats (different price). They won't do it if it's the same price.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollo144 View Post
    For those that missed out on tickets or want more tickets I noticed ticketmaster has re-released some of the tickets. Theres some good seats too - on the first floor right on the 22.

I rang ticketmaster because I was up in the grandstands and upgraded to the bottom tiers. They charged me $2 each for the changes and I paid the difference between the tickets. But they will only change your seats if you are upgrading your seats (different price). They won't do it if it's the same price.
    i'll be in the pub.
    i went to the stadium for the first time for the glory final, what a fantastic stadium.
    but it is useless for any rectangular sport.
    too far away from the pitch, might as well get comfy at home or pub in front of a big screen.
    I've not really enjoyed many rectangular sports on an AFL pitch, nearly always a shit atmosphere as well.
    they should really concentrate on finishing off NIB, but it will probably be left as it is, half arsed.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cider my arse

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    They ought to, but they won't. The last upgrade to NIB pretty much telegraphed that there won't be any more, and there is no real case for increasing it anyway. They don't have the luxury of other people's GST to spend on nice-to-haves, the way the Victorian government did with AAMI.

vCash
    Still haven’t finished paying for the last upgrade to NIB.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    They ought to, but they won't. The last upgrade to NIB pretty much telegraphed that there won't be any more, and there is no real case for increasing it anyway. They don't have the luxury of other people's GST to spend on nice-to-haves, the way the Victorian government did with AAMI.
    Blame the electorate for voting the way it does.

If WA was marginal they'd throw bucket loads of cash at WA.

Townsville was in the most marginal seat in the country after the 2016 election and they got a shiny new stadium out of it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4