Thread: Arks host the Bulls

vCash

Arks host the Bulls

One of the choice match up’s at the start of the season was Arks hosting the Kalamunda Bulls, one of the real local derbies and an expectation of quite the battle. Well, credit to both clubs for playing rugby and getting on with gaining some much needed points on the table.

The Bulls started the game playing downhill with their intentions set out from the off, in pinning Arks inside their 22 by continuous phases of one and two out carriers whom, on taking it into contact very much did so. Physical yes but nothing else and that inertia gave support runners and clearers some simple tasks for clear and quick ball.

All too inevitably Kala went ahead with a couple of a scores in the bottom corner, by stretching the home defence and drawing them into contact. Contact made all the more physical with their consistent and ineffective upper body tackles, a lesson not learnt throughout the game.

When Arks did get some possession, borne out of some rare errors by the Bulls, they fought hard and struggled with any kind of exit plays, a struggle made all the more difficult when there’s no intention of clearing their lines by the boot. This made for some heavy legs on the runners tasked with carrying that scarce possession into the effective and fairly blunt defence. A fairly obvious reason that by the time scrums arrived, the Bulls demolished the home pack on almost every engagement.

An Arks uphill success did arrive in the last play before the break with a midfield break, mainly due to the repeated inside pass now dummied and the field opened up. Avoiding breakdowns and phase play, the home backline made it through the traffic to score one back.

The home side turned around after the break and took the Bulls by the horns so to speak, by maintaining some continuity heading down towards the bottom corner to scramble over in a replica of the opening try.

What then didn’t help was the home side’s captain failing to field two kick off receipts, handing Kala possession without the effort of getting up the hill. Several scrums, penalties taken as scrums and back row required to push no less, were followed by the obvious pick up at the base and the bonus point being reasonably simply collected.

Arks really struggled to compete heading into the last quarter with what little possession in the game being telegraphed, with repeated inside passes being the play. When countering Kala’s now introduced kicking game, the back three insisted on cutting inside every time with no exception. By taking it wider they did stretch the defence and passing interplays were positive but as they cut back, strangely enough they found the defence every time.

A few innovative plays from the Kala first receiver kept everyone on their toes as the home defence were only set to deal with the carries, but with both sides getting tired in the last 15, structure went by the wayside and another midfield break downhill saw the home side score the last points whilst already a BP down.

Both teams appear to have missed a few line out training sessions, but I believe Arks may miss a few more whilst working out how to deal with their scrummaging. Final score 43 – 26.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Senior Player
    vCash
    Thanks Kev. Didn't see any comments about the food - are you feeling ok?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Being a harsh critic, The Arks Burger is a fairly impressive 7/10 for club food. A fresh, soft bun makes it easier to manage and most importantly the burger is tender. No excessive over-bearing cheese and famously for my marking scheme, no lettuce - which I don't consider as food.

Another intriguing observation at Harrisdale at the weekend was a wallabies shirt ! Just the one.

Cheers.

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

Champion
    vCash
    ARKS, Southern Lions and Coastal Cavaliers aught to be congratulated BIG TIME....

We are into round 11 and it just goes to show that all of the negative comments prior to the start of season, all of the doomsday predictions have been proven WRONG. So good to see that over the past many weeks the level of negative comments on TWF relating to Club Rugby has reduced significantly.

Congrats to Bob Hunter, Justin Shakeshaft and the rest of the hard working team at RugbyWA.

So good to see the involvement of the Sea of Blue - Alison and your group - you are sensational.

I really hope the naysayers join the positive move to make club rugby great.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Club rugby is in a real mess just now. All clubs are treading water just to remain afloat. Player numbers down by around 30 percent across the board, the premier standard has been diluted to that of last season's reserve grade, once proud clubs that had no problem fielding 4 or 5 teams 2 years ago are now struggling to put out 3 teams.

Most Saturdays at club games have been reduced to 2 men and a dog spectating with absolutely no atmosphere and with that comes the massive drop in bar sales which is most clubs main source of income and all clubs are feeling huge financial pain.

There is a real feeling of apathy and long time supporters are finding other things to do on a Saturday.

The most talented junior players are either leaving or just can't be bothered playing.

The 18's /20's age group has the grand sum of 10 teams in total with 5 premier clubs unable to field a team in either age group.

Rugby has taken a huge hit in this town and it makes no sense Hansie to pretend otherwise and try to paint a different picture.

This is not whinge or taking a swipe at anybody but merely stating the facts.

The lack of interest of any type regarding metro club rugby on this forum is a reflection of where we are at.

I would love to be able to post a different version of the situation but it is what it is.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Not sure which club games you have been watching but ARKS, Southern Lions, Neddies, Cott and Soaks numbers seem pretty reasonable, weather has been a factor. We have 3 new clubs fielding competitive teams in Prems, Reserves and Thirds. Many Colts are playing up in the grades, all sports - including AFL are trying to work out how to engage with School leavers and Under 21 year olds. Even Sydney has the same problem.

Apathy must be missing from where I have been. Yes, there has been a drop in standard, but blind freddy would have predicted that with the execution of the Force.

I still argue the point that naysayers predicted cricket scores against the new clubs, I am yet to see any?

Naysayers predicted forfeits - I haven't seen any.

Not sure of the actual registered numbers but with 3 clubs bringing in around an extra 60 players each = 180 players, where do you get a 30 per cent drop across the board? Maybe numbers have dropped at some of last year's prem clubs - but I cannot see it "across the board 30%".

How much responsibility should clubs take to retain and grow their own?

Last edited by Hansie; 21-06-18 at 09:44. Reason: grammar

Champion
    vCash
    I watch Wests 16's,manage Wests 18's ,watch Wests 3rd grade, stand between the fields and watch 2's and 4's who are on at the same time and then watch 1st grade and if we are at home also do the scoreboard every week irrespective of the weather so I would have a better idea than most on how club's are travelling and I stand by my original post.

You mentioned 3 clubs bringing in an extra 60 players each =180 players ,those players aren't new to Perth, they played here last year ,just a lot of them played for other clubs.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    So ... if I head up to Doubleview with my dog on Sat will I double the numbers?

Yes of course some clubs are struggling, they do every year given the players struggle to find work, pay fees, get time off from a working pattern that is not Mon-Fri. The level of rugby being played in the Arks Bulls 2XV on Sat wasn't going to get any air time on Kick n Chase, but then again I've given up watching that.

However, the ground at Harrisdale last w/end was packed; bar area during the game was full of earlier teams drinking & watching First grade. All the concrete steps were taken and the mini hill behind the top end was filling up. It was a full club and credit to Arks for Sat, they did a great job as a club. I would suggest the Arks committee were most content with their lot after the day ended.

Having been to Pally, Arks, Lions, UWA, Kalamunda so far this season I would like to agree more with Hansie than Westie, oh dear did I just make that public ... but being more a positive person than not, the change in league structure has been necessary for years so now it means making as much of a success of it as the clubs can. From my trips so far, most really are.

There will always be struggles and some not so unique to WA, like the shift work so many have to take on due to a changing world in all states. WA has it's north and south satellite regions with families battling with the central zone of youngsters wanting to live close to a metropolitan lifestyle.

Still, one thing never changes across our rugby family, in that it's all still kept alive by volunteers, to whom I take my hat off to, including the old bloke at the scoreboard who took two seasons to change tries to 5 points.

I will keep on travelling around the clubs, donating at the bar and canteen as my way of supporting the clubs and making every effort to keep people involved. Infighting has to stop, we can't afford it, Football West still has idiots that believe in the Central zone over and above the north & south in their competition structure ... target them.

Undecided as to where I go this Sat, maybe I might go to Wests?! Not been there this season ...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Westie, so your analysis is on one club...

A couple of things I learnt from my time in my Role at CRAC is that there is a vocal minority of people who just don't like change, blame most of their and their club's misfortune's on other clubs or RugbyWA and the pattern is actually quite informative.

At risk of getting personal abuse, I shall elaborate on my facts - not trashing a person or a club's reputation but rather providing some outside viewpoints.

There are clubs that are and have been very successful both on and off the field that just "get on with it" Let me explain - both on this forum and at the clubrooms of a few clubs who are not so successful, I see the unsubstantiated, rumour insults each and every year on how some clubs poach, buy, infiltrate and collude to destroy other clubs. I am yet to see an equivalent rebuttal or explanation from the attacked club.

Let me be specific on one aspect.

All clubs agree that the Future Force Academy has been very good to grow players such as Dickie, Mees, Rusty, Kane etc. Do you know which club and whom established that academy??

For those that don't know:

Cottesloe Rugby Club members registered the Future Force Foundation, applied for and got ASF accreditation to allow tax deductable donations, Cottesloe Rugby Club members put in the first lot of seed capital and continue to donate considerably, Cottesloe Rugby members established the organisation. I don't remember seeing Future Force expect, require or demand similar from any other club.

Every Club in 2016 and 2017 benefitted. Pally will attest that Mees Erasmus and Onehunga contributed, UWA will attest that Dickie and Rusty, Wests had Kane and Brad and so the list goes on. I have still seen total unmitigated insults thrown at Cott, even a premiergrade club official having a dig during a presentation.... No-one has thanked Cottesloe for this initiative. Interestingly look at where Cott are on the ladder vs the Club the above official represents...

I was in Sydney 3 weeks ago and interestingly, there are a few ex Sandgropers playing both Shute and Subbie Rugby. Y'know the collective opinion???? they said Sydney Clubs spend more time growing their comp than bitchin and fighting each other. They actually ignore the Tahs totally and collectively grow their comp in spite of the Tahs.

It is just so good to see the new clubs in Joondalup, ARKS, Southern Lions and Coastal Cavaliers engage in "making it work" than trying to moan and bitch about other clubs and RugbyWA.

Generally speaking long term success comes from a determined and positive culture. It's not what your competition can do for you, it's what you can do for the competition....Thank you JFK.

For example when a coach comes to his club president and complains about another club poaching his players - perhaps the president should look at what said coach is doing to lose those players and what needs fixing within the club's culture. Generally speaking - yes there will be exceptions - if a player enjoys the club, admires the coach, feels great within the team - he/she would be unlikely to move away.

Westie, your comment You mentioned 3 clubs bringing in an extra 60 players each =180 players ,those players aren't new to Perth, they played here last year ,just a lot of them played for other clubs

Why do you stop your comment on a negative tone? Not every one of the 180 players played here last year - you are factually wrong.

Some did play for other clubs many came out of retirement for either the new club or existing club, many have come from interstate, a lot are also Colts now given the opportunity to play senior rugby.

Why do you focus on a half truth to ply a negative sentiment? Why base your whole analysis on the 13 club competition on your sole experience at one club?

You need to try and be a bit more factual and open. Maybe your glass is half empty.