Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

Champion
    vCash
    I think there will be a flood of coach and players signings announced to Western Force and other GRR teams like HK and Singapore shortly, as soon as the teams are announced. That will be interesting times.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Alan Jones today - You have to go back a long way to find a match as critical to the future of Australian rugby as the Test match is this weekend.

And to think that it is in the outreaches of Italy.

As a former coach, I have avoided directing my comments to the consequences of the current coaching performance.

But the statistics can no longer be ignored.

As a metaphor of the mess, it is impossible to believe that a captain, in a Test match, would twice decline to kick for goal from penalties in front of the posts, unless these were coaching instructions.

Not only do you get the points when you kick for goal, but you get the ball back.

This is madness on steroids.

But the statistics bear witness to a frightening malaise.

We had 57 per cent of the ball in Cardiff.

We lost.

We had 54 per cent of the ball against the All Blacks in Japan.

We were flogged.

We had 52 per cent of the ball against Argentina in Argentina.

From 31-7 down, we fought back to win.

We had 53 per cent of the ball against the Springboks in Port Elizabeth.

We lost badly.

This is our worst season of Test rugby since 1958.

We have suffered home-soil losses to Ireland for the first time since 1979 and to Argentina for the first time since 1983.

The attack, under assistant coach Stephen Larkham, has produced the worst results per game since 1983.

The game last weekend was almost unwatchable.

The correspondence bears witness to the deep concern.

One writer says: “It was seriously sad.”

Another: “What hopeless tactics from the coaching team.”

Another: “How many times did we kick the ball away for no gain?”

Another: “The Wallaby backs were completely ineffective.”

And so it goes on.

What is worse, if anything could be worse, is that it is now clear that the administration of the game, if there is one, is ready to pounce.

And even more disturbing news is that the players are asking serious questions about how they are being asked to play.

I will come to that in a moment.

The off-field administrative mess is part of the problem.

Make no mistake.

Cameron Clyne, Raelene Castle and the gang may throw Michael Cheika under the bus to save their own skins.

The CEO cunningly made the call before the European tour, claiming the Wallabies had to win all three Tests to get a “pass mark”, or words to that effect.

What those comments mean, I have no idea, other than to suggest that someone was being moved towards the exit door.

But we come back to the original administrative problem.

Raelene Castle knows little about the game.

And since her appointment, neither she nor the board have done anything positive for the game.

But there is a new entry in this equation and that is Cricket Australia.

You might recall that last week I told you that there had been a similar ethics report into Australian rugby delivered in 2015 which has remained secret.

There is no doubt that the legitimate sackings at Cricket Australia, especially in high perform*ance, have given impetus to a move within Rugby Australia administration to go in the same direction.

And on the statistics above, the coach would have to concede that such a move would not be unexpected.

Except … Australian rugby has a high-performance unit.

Cheika came to this job having won major trophies in two hemispheres.

I may be out of step, but I believe he has the right to see out his contract.

If Rugby Australia wants to demonstrate a willingness to take action, then the high-performance unit should be gone yesterday.

The bloke in charge is Ben Whittaker.

On his watch, it is not just the Wallabies that have hit rock bottom.

We are outside the top five in men’s XVs, women’s XVs and the under-20s.

Who knows where the schoolboys are ranked.

So forget challenging Michael Cheika.

Ben Whittaker and Rod Kafer and the rest of these highly paid staff wasting oxygen in the rugby fortress at Moore Park should be gone.

But I err, they may not be there.

I am told there was a whole entourage of these officials last week at Yokohama and I presume they have moved on to Europe.

So embarrassed are they by the status of Australian rugby that I understand Clyne, as chairman, refuses to attend SANZAAR and World Rugby meetings and delegates that responsibility.

It is said Clyne doesn’t like all the travel, but he doesn’t mind travelling first class to attend Test matches and sit in the official box.

Can you believe that only this week, Rugby Australia has sent mail-outs to all former Wallabies asking them to make a donation of $5000 so emerging talent can be retained in our code.

This is the same Rugby Australia that signs off on five-year multimillion-dollar deals to players who may not even make the side in five years’ time, but are carting around begging bowls asking former Wallabies to pick up the tab.

But to the looming crisis at the weekend.

And from my standpoint, it is a coaching crisis.

I don’t want to seem contradictory when I say that Cheika should stay.

Under the administration of the game and as a consequence of a high-performance unit that has not delivered, there is no succession plan.

And those people contemplating throwing Cheika et al under a bus know nothing about coaching.

So where to from here?

This is the dilemma.

If you pick the same players each week and play the same way each week, you will get the same result.

The only reason the result will vary is if the quality of the opposition varies.

The true question to ask is, if you played the All Blacks next week, would the result be different?

It can’t be, unless something different is done on the field. I can’t see that happening, so we must live with what we have got.

What is the saying? Dance with the girl you brought.

I believe there is an urgency for Australian rugby, at Test level, to reinstate the use of the maul as a way of controlling the mountain of ball that we win.

This is not rocket science.

In this way, you are dragging the opposition forwards back to where they belong, in the forwards, and not jamming the defensive backline to such an extent that gifted players like Beale and Folau and Kerevi and Toomua are running into brick walls.

The reality, as I said above, is we have enough possession to win two Test matches.

We are not short of talent.

Just as refusing to kick for goal when you are parked in front of the posts must be a consequence of what the team is being told to do, so too is our failure to score and failure to use the ball effectively a consequence of the way the players are being coached to use the ball.

And when you groan about Australia kicking the ball back to the opposition, it is simply a consequence of the fact that we have run out of ideas.

And all that has led to the administration looking for scapegoats and the players starting to ask questions.

It may be that the coaching staff can’t change their mindset.

That being the case, we are doomed.

But let me end by destroying a few careers.

If you want sweeping change, there are plenty of Australians ready and able.

I repeat, Michael Cheika is smart enough to know that we can’t go on the way we are yet I believe he should stay there until the World Cup.

But given that the useless and totally discredited high-performance unit hasn’t produced any succession plan on the coaching front, I offer the following (all Australians, unlike the bulk of our Super Rugby coaches, who are both new at that level and non-Australian):

Head coach — Scott Johnson, the director of Scottish Rugby;

Defence coach — Matthew Taylor, currently with Scotland;

Attack coach — John Mulvihill, currently head coach at Cardiff;

Forwards coach — Andrew Blades, currently a very successful schoolboys coach in Sydney;

You don’t need any more.

Fresh blood, fresh approach, fresh ideas.

Remember, we are not short of talent.

We are short of successful ways of using the ball in the hands of that talent.

vCash
    Difficult to understand Jones's defense of Cheika in this article.

Why does he think Cheika has the right to see out his contract, but denies that right to the other coaches and the high performance unit? Just because Cheika has won major trophies in two hemispheres? Maybe he did, but he hasn't converted that success to the Wallabies, and has them going backwards with odd selections, odd tactics and odd substitutions, none of which are the fault of Ben Whitaker and Rod Kafer, and if they are the fault of the Wallaby coaches then Cheika should be blamed because he chose them.

Don't get me wrong, the Wallaby coaches and high performance unit should be included in the great clear-out which RA needs to have, but their place in the line-up against the wall comes after Cheika, Clyne, et al.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Soft spot for Randwick?

His continued support of anything said by any Ella is the confirmation

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Soft spot for Randwick?

His continued support of anything said by any Ella is the confirmation
    Could be, but surely he never had much to do with Randwick? He's a Queenslander and coached Manly

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Morgan Tiranui is the same- enjoy his analysis of the game, but he’s a deadset supporter of Cheik back from their Randwick days. Boys clubs! Jeeeshh! I’ve noted as well that Roar are trying now to change the dialogue of Castle’s 3 game pass mark as not meaning. Cheiks got an ultimatum.....BS! Obviously trying to tamp the fires before possible explosion.

vCash
    So embarrassed are they by the status of Australian rugby that I understand Clyne, as chairman, refuses to attend SANZAAR and World Rugby meetings and delegates that responsibility.

It is said Clyne doesn’t like all the travel, but he doesn’t mind travelling first class to attend Test matches and sit in the official box.
    Alison there is your answer to your point the other day in regards to Uncle Cam just being added to the council.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Alan Jones today - You have to go back a long way to find a match as critical to the future of Australian rugby as the Test match is this weekend.

And to think that it is in the outreaches of Italy.

As a former coach, I have avoided directing my comments to the consequences of the current coaching performance.

But the statistics can no longer be ignored.

As a metaphor of the mess, it is impossible to believe that a captain, in a Test match, would twice decline to kick for goal from penalties in front of the posts, unless these were coaching instructions.

Not only do you get the points when you kick for goal, but you get the ball back.

This is madness on steroids.

But the statistics bear witness to a frightening malaise.

We had 57 per cent of the ball in Cardiff.

We lost.

We had 54 per cent of the ball against the All Blacks in Japan.

We were flogged.

We had 52 per cent of the ball against Argentina in Argentina.

From 31-7 down, we fought back to win.

We had 53 per cent of the ball against the Springboks in Port Elizabeth.

We lost badly.

This is our worst season of Test rugby since 1958.

We have suffered home-soil losses to Ireland for the first time since 1979 and to Argentina for the first time since 1983.

The attack, under assistant coach Stephen Larkham, has produced the worst results per game since 1983.

The game last weekend was almost unwatchable.

The correspondence bears witness to the deep concern.

One writer says: “It was seriously sad.”

Another: “What hopeless tactics from the coaching team.”

Another: “How many times did we kick the ball away for no gain?”

Another: “The Wallaby backs were completely ineffective.”

And so it goes on.

What is worse, if anything could be worse, is that it is now clear that the administration of the game, if there is one, is ready to pounce.

And even more disturbing news is that the players are asking serious questions about how they are being asked to play.

I will come to that in a moment.

The off-field administrative mess is part of the problem.

Make no mistake.

Cameron Clyne, Raelene Castle and the gang may throw Michael Cheika under the bus to save their own skins.

The CEO cunningly made the call before the European tour, claiming the Wallabies had to win all three Tests to get a “pass mark”, or words to that effect.

What those comments mean, I have no idea, other than to suggest that someone was being moved towards the exit door.

But we come back to the original administrative problem.

Raelene Castle knows little about the game.

And since her appointment, neither she nor the board have done anything positive for the game.

But there is a new entry in this equation and that is Cricket Australia.

You might recall that last week I told you that there had been a similar ethics report into Australian rugby delivered in 2015 which has remained secret.

There is no doubt that the legitimate sackings at Cricket Australia, especially in high perform*ance, have given impetus to a move within Rugby Australia administration to go in the same direction.

And on the statistics above, the coach would have to concede that such a move would not be unexpected.

Except … Australian rugby has a high-performance unit.

Cheika came to this job having won major trophies in two hemispheres.

I may be out of step, but I believe he has the right to see out his contract.

If Rugby Australia wants to demonstrate a willingness to take action, then the high-performance unit should be gone yesterday.

The bloke in charge is Ben Whittaker.

On his watch, it is not just the Wallabies that have hit rock bottom.

We are outside the top five in men’s XVs, women’s XVs and the under-20s.

Who knows where the schoolboys are ranked.

So forget challenging Michael Cheika.

Ben Whittaker and Rod Kafer and the rest of these highly paid staff wasting oxygen in the rugby fortress at Moore Park should be gone.

But I err, they may not be there.

I am told there was a whole entourage of these officials last week at Yokohama and I presume they have moved on to Europe.

Can you believe that only this week, Rugby Australia has sent mail-outs to all former Wallabies asking them to make a donation of $5000 so emerging talent can be retained in our code.

This is the same Rugby Australia that signs off on five-year multimillion-dollar deals to players who may not even make the side in five years’ time, but are carting around begging bowls asking former Wallabies to pick up the tab.

But to the looming crisis at the weekend.

And from my standpoint, it is a coaching crisis.

I don’t want to seem contradictory when I say that Cheika should stay.

Under the administration of the game and as a consequence of a high-performance unit that has not delivered, there is no succession plan.

And those people contemplating throwing Cheika et al under a bus know nothing about coaching.

So where to from here?

This is the dilemma.

If you pick the same players each week and play the same way each week, you will get the same result.

The only reason the result will vary is if the quality of the opposition varies.

The true question to ask is, if you played the All Blacks next week, would the result be different?

It can’t be, unless something different is done on the field. I can’t see that happening, so we must live with what we have got.

What is the saying? Dance with the girl you brought.

I believe there is an urgency for Australian rugby, at Test level, to reinstate the use of the maul as a way of controlling the mountain of ball that we win.

This is not rocket science.

In this way, you are dragging the opposition forwards back to where they belong, in the forwards, and not jamming the defensive backline to such an extent that gifted players like Beale and Folau and Kerevi and Toomua are running into brick walls.

The reality, as I said above, is we have enough possession to win two Test matches.

We are not short of talent.

Just as refusing to kick for goal when you are parked in front of the posts must be a consequence of what the team is being told to do, so too is our failure to score and failure to use the ball effectively a consequence of the way the players are being coached to use the ball.

And when you groan about Australia kicking the ball back to the opposition, it is simply a consequence of the fact that we have run out of ideas.

And all that has led to the administration looking for scapegoats and the players starting to ask questions.

It may be that the coaching staff can’t change their mindset.

That being the case, we are doomed.

But let me end by destroying a few careers.

If you want sweeping change, there are plenty of Australians ready and able.

I repeat, Michael Cheika is smart enough to know that we can’t go on the way we are yet I believe he should stay there until the World Cup.

But given that the useless and totally discredited high-performance unit hasn’t produced any succession plan on the coaching front, I offer the following (all Australians, unlike the bulk of our Super Rugby coaches, who are both new at that level and non-Australian):

Head coach — Scott Johnson, the director of Scottish Rugby;

Defence coach — Matthew Taylor, currently with Scotland;

Attack coach — John Mulvihill, currently head coach at Cardiff;

Forwards coach — Andrew Blades, currently a very successful schoolboys coach in Sydney;

You don’t need any more.

Fresh blood, fresh approach, fresh ideas.

Remember, we are not short of talent.

We are short of successful ways of using the ball in the hands of that talent.
    Jones, your time has come. Put those boots on mate, you are our new attack coach. Solved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I think it might be the old chestnut of dealing with the symptom, rather than the root cause?

But it does befuddle, Cheika's part of the highest level too

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Morgan Tiranui is the same- enjoy his analysis of the game, but he’s a deadset supporter of Cheik back from their Randwick days. Boys clubs! Jeeeshh! I’ve noted as well that Roar are trying now to change the dialogue of Castle’s 3 game pass mark as not meaning. Cheiks got an ultimatum.....BS! Obviously trying to tamp the fires before possible explosion.
    I think the 3 out 3 was concerning her beloved All Blacks.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Cheika made a host of demands when he had the ARU over a barrel post Link. One was he became sole selector, another he chose assistants. These two alone are enough to qualify ditching him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Cheika made a host of demands when he had the ARU over a barrel post Link. One was he became sole selector, another he chose assistants. These two alone are enough to disqualify him from the job.But lacking the balls to do proper due diligence, they once again took the easy option and got back to riding the gravy train
    Fixed!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    That is exactly how I read it too

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Mercy bow coop

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Time for better decision-making by the Wallabies and the boardroom
    Taniela Tupou scores against Italy in Padua. The Tongan Thor must start against England to add firepower to the Wallabies game. Picture: Getty Images
    Taniela Tupou scores against Italy in Padua. The Tongan Thor must start against England to add firepower to the Wallabies game. Picture: Getty Images
    ALAN JONES
    RADIO BROADCASTER

11 MINUTES AGO NOVEMBER 22, 2018
    NO COMMENTS
    It is a cliche, but a win is a win, and a win last weekend against Italy that the Wallabies needed.

But Australia rode their luck, as Italy were denied two tries in the first 20 minutes and the Wallabies were awarded a remarkable try that was probably not a try.

It is fair to say the French referee was all over the shop and the Italian coach, Conor O’Shea was rightfully critical.

READ NEXT

COMMENT
    Mueller’s time has come
    CAMERON STEWART
    The Wallabies did some good things out wide against Italy’s blitz defence but they had the same old issues at the lineout.

We struggled to win ball at crucial times and that will be costly against England tomorrow night (AEDT), who pride themselves on their set pieces.

What the Wallabies do with their midfield is anyone’s guess.

At scrum time, Italy worked over Bernard Foley to the point of embarrassment.

Further out, Marika Koroibete was defending at 13.

Admittedly, he can tackle. He is a big unit. But he is very raw and he doesn’t contest the ruck. So, opposing attacks get quick ball when he makes a *tackle.

Expect England to target both Foley and Koroibete if they play.

And we are still coughing up possession deep inside the opposition’s 22.

We either don’t have the killer instinct to finish teams off or the skills to make possession translate into points.

Most of the turnovers close to the tryline are coming from our tight five and Adam Coleman is the main culprit.

Then, on another occasion against Italy, we had prime ball from a centrefield scrum and what did we do?

Kick the thing away.

We will have to make better decisions against England, because good teams can cause a lot of attacking damage from centrefield scrums.

This is but one example of the muddled thinking that has crept into our game.

On current form, you would have to say the Wallabies will do well to be competitive at Twickenham.

To the average Australian fan, it doesn’t look as though we even know our best team. The front row keeps changing as we search for a hooker who can simply throw the ball in straight.

Whatever happens up front, Taniela Tupou must now start at tight head. He is a world class *talent.

In the 1980s, the Chicago Bears had a freak player, William Perry, aka “Refrigerator”.

The Fridge was a weapon for coach Mike Ditka in both attack and defence. Our “Tongan Thor” is a special talent.

Still the backrow lacks balance and we desperately need to develop a Kieran Read-type number eight — a physical player who can carry the ball and compete in the lineout.

In the backline — if there is a backline after forwards endlessly handle the ball first and go to the ground every time — in the backline, we seem not sure of our ball-playing combinations in midfield.

Kurtley Beale is lacking confidence.

And who are our back three?

And why on Earth isn’t Tom Banks given a chance?

A real talent, young and able.

To beat England, we will have to compete in the set piece. And if we are to pick Pocock at No 7, then we should have an aerial ball carrier at number eight. Sean *McMahon would be your man, but he is in Japan.

In his absence, Isi Naisarani could do the job once he becomes eligible next year. He can play.

A bigger backrow would help at scrum time and we should put our biggest flanker behind our tighthead.

A bigger body will help in maul defence, because we can expect England to use the driving maul.

In midfield, we will have to pick Matt Toomua and Beale, notwithstanding their limitations, because Foley is too much of a defensive liability.

And then lay on some speed out wide with Koroibete, Banks and Folau as the back three.

The biggest challenge for the Wallaby team is belief.

Their win rate is eroding their confidence, so winning big games is a struggle.

The players need to focus on *effort, execution and how to use possession. The coaches need to keep things simple and be consistent in their selections.

Rugby is a game of combinations and teamwork.

If you are asking players to put their hearts and bodies on the line, you should, at least, as a selector, pick your side in such a way that the bloke knows something about the player on his inside and *outside.

Chopping and changing is not the answer.

Sadly, the public’s response continues to be one of disillusionment.

And there are administrative problems everywhere.

Now we’ve got this World League concept. Who on Earth is going to own this, World Rugby or the individual unions? What is in this for Rugby Australia?

We can’t have a repeat of the SANZAAR shambles, where we were rolled on expanding to 18 teams by irrationally including Japan, Argentina and an extra South African team.

And our reward?

The execution of the Western Force.

Professional sport is no different from business — content is king.

So the big question with World League, an awful name, is who will own the content? Who will own the competition?

Whoever does, that entity will own the broadcast rights and all other commercial revenues, such as sponsorship.

So Rugby Australia must spell out, and now, a full explanation of the ownership model and what is in it for Australian rugby.

If, indeed, RA knows.

The reality is we are being run over in the international administration of the game.

World Rugby barely considers our interests. World Rugby is largely a vehicle for the four Home Unions to promote the interests of UK and European rugby as their priority.

The immovables in World Rugby are the Rugby World Cup, the Six Nations, the Lions Tours and then the November window in their backyard, which is where we have been for the past couple of weeks.

Then come the English and French domestic competitions.

Everything else, such as Australia, are now just tolerated, but considered secondary.

Once we led the world.

That is gone.

We desperately need leadership; we need clarity and honesty. The RA board and the CEO must have full transparency.

What is this World League about and what is in it for us?

In the background is Andrew Forrest, launching Global Rapid Rugby, a brave new world.

Has RA factored in Andrew Forrest? Has World Rugby even heard of it?

Finally, the mess continues.

NSW have appointed a new *defence coach from Wales, Steve Tandy.

Another appointment from Daryl Gibson and Andrew Hore, New Zealanders respectively coach and CEO of NSW.

The job wasn’t advertised.

We have a heap of wonderful Australian defence coaches working around the world yet Andrew Hore appears to have appointed an old mate.

Hore was the CEO of Ospreys — one of the four professional rugby union teams from Wales. Tandy was a coach there.

If this is not a joke, please define what a rugby joke is.

First, Chris Whitaker blows in from the second division in France and now we get a Welsh reject.

Where is the high-performance unit and its so-called succession plan? Or is the succession plan about Ben Whitaker appointing his brother?

Because that’s what it is.

So how do NSW look for 2019?

The CEO is a Kiwi, Andrew Hore.

The head coach is the CEO’s best mate, a New Zealander, Daryl Gibson.

An assistant coach is Chris Whitaker, an Australian, who has spent most of his rugby career out of Australia, but is the brother to RA’s high performance boss, Ben Whitaker, who appointed him.

An assistant coach is another Kiwi and a mate of the CEO, Simon Cron.

Now the new assistant coach is another mate of the CEO, also sacked from Ospreys, and a Welshman, Steve Tandy.

Good to see Australian rugby is in good hands. A bunch of foreign rent-seekers who will head off, when they fail, and give nothing back to the Australian game.

Rod Kafer, Ben Whitaker, the high performance unit, the board of Rugby Australia and the CEO, Raelene Castle, take a bow.

I think we need a Foreign *Investment Review Board of rugby.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast