Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    His coaching may suit the French players. They are used to mixed messages and strange selections. French players are more suited to running over teams than Australians.

You only to see the Reds performance yesterday when they were running in to spaces not faces.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    According to Raelene the RA are going to announce a profit. ASIC haven't uploaded the annual report so we can't yet see how much money they have sent to the Rebels at the expense of the grassroots and to prop up Cheika's failed vanity project. Pressure needs to be on to the VRU's financial position as the Force and the other Super Rugby sides have announced their financial results.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    According to Raelene the RA are going to announce a profit. ASIC haven't uploaded the annual report so we can't yet see how much money they have sent to the Rebels at the expense of the grassroots and to prop up Cheika's failed vanity project. Pressure needs to be on to the VRU's financial position as the Force and the other Super Rugby sides have announced their financial results.
    Can we get a summary of them, who is in the black and who is in red(excuse the pun)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Can we get a summary of them, who is in the black and who is in red(excuse the pun)?
    Brumbies and Tahs posted small profits. QRU a million dollar loss. The union is losing money hand over fist, the Reds aren’t. Not sure on the Force numbers but they are in the black.

vCash
    As soon as the RA financial statements are made public through the ASIC website, I’ll be poring over them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Wouldnt Force be considered a Private Entity now?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I think so, yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Would minderoo be a charity? Would that make a difference for the force?

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    You wouldn’t know it, but Rugby Australia had an annual general meeting last Monday. It was followed by what could only be described as fatuous comments by the chairman, former banker Cameron Clyne:

“There are many highlights and achievements from 2018, particularly in community rugby and they are the result of the dedicated, passionate people within our state and territory member unions and the volunteers who continue to be the strength of our game in driving forward each year.”

I read that and I thought what the …

I suppose it’s flattering to know that in the light of my last column, he thought he should give an appreciative nod to “the volunteers”.

Clyne would have been better employed reading some of the comments from last week’s column. We have never had such a response — well over 200.

And it is clear that the administration is completely out of step with those in the rugby family who genuinely own the game.

Nomnus wrote: “I grew up in a rugby home, played rugby at school and university, sent my sons to play rugby at the same rugby schools and was, for more than a decade, an enthusiastic Reds member. My sons’ school friends included several boys who grew up to be Wallabies, but no more. My sons and I haven’t attended, or even watched, a full game for two years now. The mishandling of Cooper (Quade) and Genia (Will) did it for me. You’ve articulated the problems perfectly Alan — stupid, pig-headed, wilful blindness from the leather-patch old-boys network.”

In relation to my recommendation to Raelene Castle to forget SANZAAR and the ploughing of money into supporting South African, Argentinian and Japanese rugby with endless costs on airfares, hotels and all the rest, David wrote: “Alan, I find your reference to her comment regarding ‘modelling’ for a trans-Tasman comp particularly interesting/galling. As I understand it, the same ‘modelling’ was used to substantiate SANZAAR ’s obscene decision to increase from 12 to 18 teams, only to retreat when the ‘modelling’ proved erroneous and things stopped working. Anyone can cobble together a spreadsheet to reflect your predetermined views and provide you with the outcome you seek. ‘Modelling’ is the least of RA’s worries when they can’t see the forest for the trees — continually poor results and falling crowd/viewer figures are fine because we still made a profit.”

Just on the profit issue, we shouldn’t be carried away. There was a $14.5 million expenditure reduction because of reduced funding to Super Rugby and player costs. For that, read “axing the Western Force”.

The real figure is the decline in revenue of $30.2 million. Match day revenue declined by 23 per cent; sponsorship by 10 per cent. Is there a rugby slippery slide? There will be if something is not done.

Andrew wrote last week: “I was one of those diehard supporters who also played the game for 25 years. I took my family to the Tahs in Newcastle last Friday — embarrassing. I won’t be watching let alone attending another rugby game … until there is a change in the way the game is administered. And that has to start at the board/CEO level of RA.”

Just on last week’s Super Rugby, credit must be given to Queensland for their 24-12 defeat of the Stormers who, I must confess, are bottom of the South African conference.

Actually, the Stormers dominated in the first half, playing with a lot of width and were unlucky not to be in control of the game on the scoreboard.

But early in the second half, Samu Kerevi exploded, creating two tries that swung the game for the Reds.

But well may we ask, what is going on?

Kerevi is 25 years of age with 23 caps to his name. He’s the in-form centre in Australian rugby, but he is going to quit Australia after the World Cup.

There must be something wrong in both the Queensland and the Wallabies camps when the young man clearly has a mountain of Test rugby ahead of him but is prepared to turn his back on Australia.

Notwithstanding this, he must join Genia and Cooper in the Wallabies run-on side; Genia is running and Cooper is playing so flat, it is beautiful to watch. They are capable of breathing hope into our World Cup chances.

While on Super Rugby, I can’t pretend to offer any generous comment on the hoax that is the Waratahs rotation policy.

All it is doing is disrupting combinations and prejudicing success. It seems to me that every week in NSW, someone throws the jerseys in a pile and comes up with a new backline.

In contrast, the Melbourne Rebels have kept their backline combinations together and they are the dominant Australian Super Rugby team.

Don’t all Super Rugby teams have two bye rounds during their short 15-match season? And won’t most of the Wallabies then get a two-week break before the shortened Rugby Championship takes place? And don’t they then have another four weeks before the World Cup starts — eight weeks off between now and September. And that’s not enough time to be rested.

But back to this AGM. Why can’t we see the minutes of this meeting?

How long did it last? Did the meeting address the real issues of the game: The poor current standing of the Wallabies, ranked number 6 in the world? Why? The poor performance of the Wallabies since the last World Cup in 2015? Why? The poor performance of the Wallabies in the Rugby Championships and the Bledisloe Cups. Why? The number of Australian professional rugby players playing overseas, hence the reduced numbers in the player pool in Australia? Why? The poor performance of the Australian Super Rugby teams and, in particular, against New Zealand teams? Why? The diabolical financial performances of the Queensland, NSW, ACT and Victorian rugby unions? Why?

The reduced attendances at matches and TV audiences and the negative effect this will have on future broadcast rights revenue. Why? The poor performance of the Australian men’s sevens team. Why? The poor performance of the Australian Schooboy teams? Why? The poor performance of the Australian under-20 teams? Why?

The lack of a national coaching academy? Why? The lack of support for grassroots rugby Why? The lack of a proper process for selecting coaching staff to national teams? Why?

The alienation and removal of rugby in Western Australia? Why? The lack of any plan to develop rugby in Western Sydney thereby surrendering, without a fight, to rugby league, soccer and Australian rules? Why? The failure to address the issues arising from an undemocratic Nominations Committee, thereby keeping the rugby gate locked to those on the outside? Why?

And, above all, the failure of NSW and Queensland to use their voting strength to change any or all of the above? Why?

Raelene Castle is paid $815,000 to preside over all of this, admittedly not as much as Bill Pulver was paid to punt the Western Force in his last year in office.

The genial Bill was paid $1.3 million, in salary and bonuses, to throw the Force under the bus before he jumped off the sinking ship at rugby headquarters.

It’s clear that RA’s so-called profit won’t go where it should go, to the grassroots, but will be used to cover future losses.

Clyne actually tells us that, in this World Cup year, “RugbyAU will operate at a loss”.

But won’t World Rugby pay RA a grant of $20 million?

It seems there will be no money at all for clubs to improve facilities and grow the game. That money will go to offset accumulating losses. Is this what Clyne calls the “many highlights and achievements from 2018” which will “galvanise support from millions of Australians and inspire generations of future players”.

Well may we ask what rugby planet is this bloke on?

vCash
    People easily dismiss Alan Jones because of his more unsavoury views (shockjocks gotta shock) but when it comes to rugby I think he is on the right side of history at the moment and should be listened to.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    People easily dismiss Alan Jones because of his more unsavoury views (shockjocks gotta shock) but when it comes to rugby I think he is on the right side of history at the moment and should be listened to.
    He is a former coach, and a very successful one, when it comes to Rugby the guy is incredibly intelligent, regardless of his other views this man earned his respect in Rugby circles, the people he talks about in RAs administrative body have mosy definitely not.

vCash
    Folau stands alone as the rest fall into line with their pay masters

ALAN JONES

12:00AM APRIL 20, 2019 804 COMMENTS
    The rugby family are meant to believe that Israel Folau is fighting for his future. Surely the boot is on the wrong foot. Israel must stay. Enough is enough. The board must go.

Nonetheless, watch the Judas brigade and its mercenary membership line up behind Rugby Australia and spout the party line. Israel speaks from conviction and Christian commitment.

What is the motivation for many of his critics in Rugby administration? Sadly the Wallabies coach, Michael Cheika, has lost his moral compass on this; but then, in this day and age, would he be the next victim if he were to defend Folau’s right to cite the King James Bible?

READ NEXT

Heston’s human element
    JOHN LETHLEAN
    Wallabies captain Michael Hooper is on the payroll for more than $1 million. Why put that at risk by defending Israel’s right to express a biblical truth?

How many people are singing the company tune to keep their gravy train rolling?

To use a biblical analogy, it is sickening to see these blokes taking their pieces of silver to sell out their former teammate and celebrated player. Rod Kafer somewhat fancifully said: “The Wallabies are a better team without Folau.” With that judgment, why would anyone listen to his commentary? No wonder he failed as a coach if that is his evaluation of a prodigious talent.

Phil Waugh was a tough and uncompromising player, dedicated totally to the green-and-gold. But now, sadly, on the board of Rugby Australia, he is singing the board’s tune.

If as some suggest, though I don’t agree, Folau should have kept quiet surely that is precisely what some of his critics should be doing. But if the gravy train terminates at Rugby Australia then I suppose it is asking for too much moral courage to expect some people to get off the train rather than stay on it for the money.

I know Karmichael Hunt. He is a good person and a fine player. He has been silly and he knows that. But he has been given three chances. His obvious decency, to anyone who knows him, was twice damaged by drug-related offences; but he is now on chance number three.

I don’t have a problem with that. I would give anyone a second chance, or a third chance if I knew that what lay in the future was the prospect of a good and reformed person. But is our message to kids that the taking of drugs is OK for the “values of the game”, but having strong religious beliefs and sharing them is wrong.

How odd that Rugby Australia preaches “diversity” and “inclusiveness” when what they really mean is uniformity or exclusion.

It was General George Patton, who commanded the US Seventh Army in the Mediterranean theatre in World War II and the US Third Army in France and Germany following the Allied invasion of Normandy, who said: “If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”

The only person we have not heard from is Scott Johnson. He has been back almost a month and he is silent. Where does he stand on this matter? Does he also think that it is OK for Qantas to sign contracts with nations where homosexuals and women are treated abominably; yet we are prepared to ostracise, demonise, punish and banish an Australian who has done nothing wrong other than state his beliefs. Is Johnson going to fall into line with the rest of the gravy train brigade? He is on big money. He was appointed, as I understand it, to be the boss; but when real leadership is needed, he has become gun-shy.

So keen to fall in line with the Qantas demands and gather up the money, Rugby Australia have completely ballsed up the whole show.

Of course, they have good form in the balls-up business. Remember the chairman Cameron Clyne calling a press conference over the summer then wet the bed when he was asked to explain the coaching restructure.

The bed wetters are now running around squeaking that Qantas may pull their sponsorship because Alan Joyce wants Rugby Australia to sack Folau and, apparently, any of his mates who hold similar views. If Joyce is not applying the weights to Rugby Australia, let him clear the air and say so; but to the rugby follower, a dirty tail seems to be wagging a mongrel dog and the politically correct minority sharpen their knives.

Before proclaiming Folau’s guilt, one would have thought he was entitled to the deliberation of a tribunal. But RA have already said he won’t play for Australia; he won’t be picked for NSW; his contract will be ripped up. Folau is, sensibly, going to contest all this. But this is after the event.

Rugby Australia have already called for punishment, banishment and termination because Folau warned “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists, idolaters, hell awaits you, repent, only Jesus saves … Jesus Christ loves you and has given you time to turn away from your sin and come to him”. This is nothing more than what all Christians are called to do. It is part of the great commission Jesus gave to his disciples.

Matthew 26:18-20: “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you’. ”

We are talking about a young man who is a dedicated Christian expressing a legitimate view based on biblical teaching. Christians around the world are under siege. It appears now that sanctions of the most draconian kind are being imposed on Christians here who dare to proclaim their faith.

Anglican Bishop Michael Stead, who heads the South Sydney diocese, said on Tuesday: “If a rugby player can be sacked for doing nothing more than posting on his social media page what is essentially a summary of the Bible, then it is a signal to the rest of us that we better keep our mouths shut.”

Forcing people to keep their mouths shut because they might express a view contrary to ours has almost become the norm. It is interesting that Joyce is entitled to his view even though, apparently, Folau is not. But surely Joyce cannot appropriate his view to the whole Qantas family, many of whom disagree with him.

And by what Christian teaching do we seek to destroy an individual and his career for articulating a summary from the Bible, which is thousands of years old? Folau, as I have said before, is from a devoutly religious Polynesian family and it is interesting that many who now criticise him have, in the past, demanded tolerance for their viewpoint.

And that is fair enough. A diversity of viewpoints is healthy; but none of that tolerance is extended toward Folau. What is to happen to many of Folau’s fellow players who “liked” what he had to say? Are they to be banished? The drunks, the liars, the thieves, the fornicators and the atheists are not complaining.

Have we reached the point articulated in the Keith Murdoch Oration in Melbourne on Tuesday night by the chief executive of News Corp, Robert Thomson, who declared that a mob mentality has taken hold across much of the west … with “illiberal liberals” on a “seemingly endless, insatiable quest” for indignation and umbrage.

Thomson declared: “We are going through a strange phase in seeking affirmation through victimhood; and one example was the seething secularism that portrays any person of faith, whether an evanescent evangelical or occasional attendee at mass or synagogue or mosque or temple, as a nutter, a fruitcake, touched, a devotee of the deviant.”

Is that, shamefully, the category in which we seek to cast Folau? Billy Vunipola, the England number 8, has voiced his support and he too has been muzzled. There are thousands of other Pacific Island players, all over the world, who hold strong religious beliefs and back Folau.

Most of these players support families back in the islands and will remain silent for fear that if they speak up, they will lose their contracts and they will no longer be able to support their extended families. Be proud Cameron Clyne. What a legacy.

It has been jarring for the average Australian rugby fan to turn on the news and see Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle and NSW Rugby boss Andrew Hore, both Kiwis, talking rubbish and questioning the character of Folau. The difference is, Folau is authentic.

In comparison, Hore and Castle are Kiwi rejects, seemingly able to trade off their nationality because our game is such a basket-case, our board members will listen to anyone wearing an All Blacks tracksuit.

Who the hell hired these people to run NSW and Australian Rugby? Christianity was introduced into the Pacific Islands by missionaries. Most of these Islander people don’t have a lot of material things. But you only have to see their smiles to know they are rich of heart. They could teach our administrators a lot. Israel, keep your head high. There are millions of ordinary Australians in your corner. Not all of them share your beliefs but they recognise your right to express them and they understand you are coming from a place of love. For those of us who have looked at your complete comments, we understand you are genuinely concerned for your fellow man.

These words are not yours. They have been part of the scriptures for 2000 years.

As I have said this week, Folau has shown a rare degree of moral courage. I would want him in my team any day.

Beyond his rugby skills, his example of moral courage is one that should inspire young people. This is not a battle that rugby administrators can win but they think they can. We know that rugby today is in a dark place.

Champion
    vCash
    Yet another rant from a dinosaur from the prehistoric era trying to keep himself relevant who insults those who dare to have a different view, talks a good game and that's about all he does, anyone know what ever happened to the campaign to overthrow the ARU driven by himself and Papworth a few months ago with the alleged backing of community clubs, it died a quick death, does anyone really take him serious these days.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    He’s a very noisy windbag. I don’t think anyone listens to him at all.

vCash
    Rugby progress is all silence these days. Ranging from the Clarion Call to the World League.

The NSWRU and co talked about a Shute Shield under 18s comp, academies in Western Sydney and renaming Parramatta. The first two was to combat Twiggy’s plan and they were going to raise money to finance it. It was all about control but has it really happened?

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast