Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Well done Mr Peever. Perhaps you can tell Mr Clyne, why you took notice of what cricket people were thinking and saying and decided to resign.
    Well let's have a little guess. About a decade back the ACB resigned end mass to move to a more equitable governance structure than the one where SA Vic and NSW delegates had control by gerrymandered numbers. A new structure where each state had one vote plus some independents took over. A great move which might have just allowed Peever to be pressured into jumping himself rather than do the walk of shame.

His poor attempts at corporate jargon about "moving forward" etc, etc.... despite admitting the buck stopped with him probably had the effect of ramping the pressure higher.

How did we OTOH, end up with a system equally as unfair as the one it replaced

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This is the guy who called sandpapergate and year long sacking of the world's best batsman and captain of Australia, plus the vice captain and world top ten batsman, plus the other opening batsnan, with world wide derision and oss of million$.,.... a "hiccup"

RA should chase him to replace Stookie

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

RA should chase him to replace Stookie
    An oldie but true...........careful what you wish for.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Tick tock Clyne....tick tock.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Tick tock Clyne....tick tock.
    Gray, North, Davis... Castle and Hore are outsider puppets.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Gray, North, Davis... Castle and Hore are outsider puppets.
    And Clarke, don’t forget Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And Clarke, don’t forget Clarke
    Don't forget they threw him under the bus.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Oh I think he got there all by himself.

vCash
    The Hansard documents are worth reading again. The Committee called Clarke out for not being credible and throwing each other under the bus. The press should have been on this like a red rash.

There are posts recently saying that Wayne Smith is in support of overhauling the RA. He was awfully quiet when Pulver, de Clyne and Clarke were hanging themselves in front of the Senate. The average joe Rugby supporter wouldn't know this is up there on Hansard and if you have the right tools to listen to the audio.

vCash
    Spectre of long-term deals the gold medal of rugby’s idiocy
    Wallabies players look on as the All Blacks perform the Haka during the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup match.
    ALAN JONES

12:00AM NOVEMBER 9, 20182
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    It would be a bit self-indulgent to believe that anyone in Rugby Australia is taking any notice of what has been said in this column now for some months.

But I’ll tell you something, the readers and rugby loyalists are.

It is not gilding the lily to say that the grassroots people are up in arms.

Last week, Jake wrote “I strongly agree with you, Alan … can anyone convince Clyne to follow the honourable example of cricket? Fat chance, I would say.”

Alana wrote “Jones is forthright but correct. The game’s management structure and team is an embarrassment. It needs a complete review, restructure and refocus. As part of this process, the Board and CEO have to go and be replaced by people with a proven track record in the game. The state-based structure must be replaced with a centralised administration and structure along the lines of the New Zealand model.”

There were endless comments of a similar nature. Even the Fairfax press is now, begrudgingly, conceding that something has to give. Too many journalists seem apologists for an utterly discredited rugby administration.

Now we learn that there has been a review into rugby which has never been revealed. According to the Fairfax press, it “was always intended to be confidential”.

You get the drift. It has been kept a secret. But don’t worry! The conclusions were fed into the ARU’s five-year strategic review!!

The same outfit responsible for the review into cricket conducted the review into rugby — Simon Longstaff of the Ethics Centre.

Rugby supporters, already in a lather over our rapid decline, will be alarmed to know that this review was submitted, apparently, in July 2015. Just like cricket, rugby wanted to keep its review a secret. But just when you think it can’t get any worse in rugby, it does.

Raelene Castle has now been making a lot of noise about signing up players on five-year contracts. I can’t think of a dumber proposal. Are we so well-endowed that we can afford this idiocy? Why wouldn’t the players be lining up to collect bonanza deals? Five-year deals. Nothing could be more ludicrous in Test match rugby.

Common sense would tell you that players in their last season of a current contract play very well because they want to have the contract renewed. That’s human nature. By contrast, players on long-term deals often lose motivation.

Does it matter? The money keeps rolling in. Has anyone asked Sean McMahon why he prefers to play in Japan rather than have a crack at making the Wallabies starting team? If you were Sean McMahon, would you hang around behind Michael Hooper and David Pocock?

Both of these players are on long-term deals. The message to players like Sean McMahon is loud and clear. We don’t need you.

Rugby players will snap your hand off if you offer them a five-year deal. They know the injury stats and most of them want security.

When they learn that a naive, or should that be incompetent, rugby administration wants to lock them up and lock out the big French clubs, the player agents know they can ask any price they want.

What incentive is there for a player if he’s guaranteed a fortune regardless of his form or his fitness? Right now, all the player agents in the country are licking their lips as Rugby Australia throw around multi-year deals as if there’s no tomorrow.

Castle has form in this space. At the Canterbury rugby league club, she was part of the risky strategy of back-ending contracts. Back-ending means a player takes a higher per cent of the overall package at the back end of the contract.

In the NRL, it’s a strategy to get quality players under the salary cap. But the problem is these delayed contracts catch management out. They end up paying too much for players in their decline.

In many ways, with these five-year deals, Castle is doing at Rugby Australia what she did at Canterbury.

There is no way Israel Folau at 34 will be worth the same as he is worth at 29 but he’ll be paid the same pay, apparently more than $1.5 million a season.

These deals are going to bite an increasingly financially impoverished Rugby Australia in the backside.

When Michael Cheika is gone, is there any guarantee Michael Hooper will be selected at seven for the Wallabies? But he is being paid $1.3 million a season for the next five years, if you are to believe the reports, regardless of form, fitness or selection policy.

Just on form and selection, Adam Ashley-Cooper is one of the finest young men ever to wear green and gold. But what are we saying to young Australian talent when Ashley-Cooper is recalled into the Wallaby squad?

My advice is simple. Have faith in our young players. They won’t let you down.

And now to the weekend and Wales. We will have our hands full in Cardiff even though our recent record over Wales is very good.

There is no doubt that Warren Gatland will want to strike a psychological blow in the lead-up to the World Cup. We have Wales and Fiji in our pool next year.

Wales had a big win over Scotland last Saturday. It will be a challenge for the Wallaby attack. It has been patchy, scoring only two tries per match so far this season. But Australia loves playing at Cardiff. Hopefully that will enable us to lift.

But I come back to that rotten lineout, our achilles heel. We are still selecting two “shorties” in the backrow. It worries the hell out of me. And what about discipline?

We have only won one penalty count out of ten so far this season. If we are as ill-disciplined as that against Wales, Leigh Halfpenny will kick us to death.

It is Melbourne Cup week. A youngster won the Melbourne Cup. There’s a lesson there in all sport. Back the youngsters.

They might just surprise you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Spectre of long-term deals the gold medal of rugby’s idiocy
    Wallabies players look on as the All Blacks perform the Haka during the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup match.
    ALAN JONES

12:00AM NOVEMBER 9, 20182
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    It would be a bit self-indulgent to believe that anyone in Rugby Australia is taking any notice of what has been said in this column now for some months.

But I’ll tell you something, the readers and rugby loyalists are.

It is not gilding the lily to say that the grassroots people are up in arms.

Last week, Jake wrote “I strongly agree with you, Alan … can anyone convince Clyne to follow the honourable example of cricket? Fat chance, I would say.”

Alana wrote “Jones is forthright but correct. The game’s management structure and team is an embarrassment. It needs a complete review, restructure and refocus. As part of this process, the Board and CEO have to go and be replaced by people with a proven track record in the game. The state-based structure must be replaced with a centralised administration and structure along the lines of the New Zealand model.”

There were endless comments of a similar nature. Even the Fairfax press is now, begrudgingly, conceding that something has to give. Too many journalists seem apologists for an utterly discredited rugby administration.

Now we learn that there has been a review into rugby which has never been revealed. According to the Fairfax press, it “was always intended to be confidential”.

You get the drift. It has been kept a secret. But don’t worry! The conclusions were fed into the ARU’s five-year strategic review!!

The same outfit responsible for the review into cricket conducted the review into rugby — Simon Longstaff of the Ethics Centre.

Rugby supporters, already in a lather over our rapid decline, will be alarmed to know that this review was submitted, apparently, in July 2015. Just like cricket, rugby wanted to keep its review a secret. But just when you think it can’t get any worse in rugby, it does.

Raelene Castle has now been making a lot of noise about signing up players on five-year contracts. I can’t think of a dumber proposal. Are we so well-endowed that we can afford this idiocy? Why wouldn’t the players be lining up to collect bonanza deals? Five-year deals. Nothing could be more ludicrous in Test match rugby.

Common sense would tell you that players in their last season of a current contract play very well because they want to have the contract renewed. That’s human nature. By contrast, players on long-term deals often lose motivation.

Does it matter? The money keeps rolling in. Has anyone asked Sean McMahon why he prefers to play in Japan rather than have a crack at making the Wallabies starting team? If you were Sean McMahon, would you hang around behind Michael Hooper and David Pocock?

Both of these players are on long-term deals. The message to players like Sean McMahon is loud and clear. We don’t need you.

Rugby players will snap your hand off if you offer them a five-year deal. They know the injury stats and most of them want security.

When they learn that a naive, or should that be incompetent, rugby administration wants to lock them up and lock out the big French clubs, the player agents know they can ask any price they want.

What incentive is there for a player if he’s guaranteed a fortune regardless of his form or his fitness? Right now, all the player agents in the country are licking their lips as Rugby Australia throw around multi-year deals as if there’s no tomorrow.

Castle has form in this space. At the Canterbury rugby league club, she was part of the risky strategy of back-ending contracts. Back-ending means a player takes a higher per cent of the overall package at the back end of the contract.

In the NRL, it’s a strategy to get quality players under the salary cap. But the problem is these delayed contracts catch management out. They end up paying too much for players in their decline.

In many ways, with these five-year deals, Castle is doing at Rugby Australia what she did at Canterbury.

There is no way Israel Folau at 34 will be worth the same as he is worth at 29 but he’ll be paid the same pay, apparently more than $1.5 million a season.

These deals are going to bite an increasingly financially impoverished Rugby Australia in the backside.

When Michael Cheika is gone, is there any guarantee Michael Hooper will be selected at seven for the Wallabies? But he is being paid $1.3 million a season for the next five years, if you are to believe the reports, regardless of form, fitness or selection policy.

Just on form and selection, Adam Ashley-Cooper is one of the finest young men ever to wear green and gold. But what are we saying to young Australian talent when Ashley-Cooper is recalled into the Wallaby squad?

My advice is simple. Have faith in our young players. They won’t let you down.

And now to the weekend and Wales. We will have our hands full in Cardiff even though our recent record over Wales is very good.

There is no doubt that Warren Gatland will want to strike a psychological blow in the lead-up to the World Cup. We have Wales and Fiji in our pool next year.

Wales had a big win over Scotland last Saturday. It will be a challenge for the Wallaby attack. It has been patchy, scoring only two tries per match so far this season. But Australia loves playing at Cardiff. Hopefully that will enable us to lift.

But I come back to that rotten lineout, our achilles heel. We are still selecting two “shorties” in the backrow. It worries the hell out of me. And what about discipline?

We have only won one penalty count out of ten so far this season. If we are as ill-disciplined as that against Wales, Leigh Halfpenny will kick us to death.

It is Melbourne Cup week. A youngster won the Melbourne Cup. There’s a lesson there in all sport. Back the youngsters.

They might just surprise you.
    He is right about the rugby journalism in this country. For some unknown reason the entire mainstream rugby media feel obligated to paint our corrupt incompetent administration is a positive light when all the fans are screaming for the board to be sacked, and some even prosecuted.

Too many journalists are apologists. Is it any coincidence that Georgina Robinson reported about the longstaff review being hidden after copping flack for producing her last 40 articles of absolutely rubbish, she has a tendency to quote players eg. 5 lines and write an entire article of rubbish about the player which no one reads anyway, and always puts little jibes in at Andrew Forrest and his "Rebel" league when he is the only person trying to do some good to rugby in this country and the only person actively trying to save a franchise and grow the sport in both Western Australia and Australia. Once upon a time journalists would be backing twiggy, not just Nick Taylor who is a real journalist, but eastern states journalists would have seized the opportunity to expose RugbyAustralia. Not anymore, they are all part of the clique

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Long term, multi-million dollar contracts are a very risky strategy when you are in such a precarious financial position too. What if RA doesn’t get another lucrative broadcasting deal post 2020?

Would love to see the break clause in these contracts.

vCash
    at least they only signed Nard for a year

A 34 year old wing, 33 year old 7, and a prop on 5 year contracts. Plus whatever Genia is on, plus Pocock being paid for a "sabbatical" year beggers belief

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    Alex Newsome .James Verity Amm .Ryan Louwrens . Ritchie Arnold. Kyle Godwin.A few that come to mind that should be the future .... Hmmm . Well looked after ....not . The list goes on .

vCash
    They should all be looking to head west to join Global Rapid Rugby!!!!

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast