Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Haha! Problem is, the RFU is broke as well so I’m not sure their people are any better than ours!
    The RFU is only making those noises since a bean counter took over funny about that. Ian Ritchie smashed out Will Carling's 57 old farts in the RFU and before did the same with the LTA. The LTA have now turned the corner that Tennis Australia had not done and cut off players who literally pissed away the funding they had received by disrespecting officials and throwing their careers away by partying then throwing away tournaments they should do well in. Now they have more players coming through who have the right attitude. Just look at Kyle Edmund he has less talent than Krygios but has achieved more in a shorter period of time. Johanna Konta who should be representing Australia has gone deeper in majors than the highly talked about Ash Barty who nearly gave the sport away.

Instead with Australia we have Tomic and Krygios the Beale and O'Connor of Australian Tennis who are given chance after chance, calling their bad behaviour mistakes and treating them like kids. It is rife in Australian sport and we are heading back to the 70s after all that investment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not wrong. Beggars belief that Manly would let Hasler back in the joint.
    Manly remind me of the Rabble who reelect the same board members who are unaccountable to no one, fark up the joint and someone will finance it to paper over the cracks.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Anyone watching Chapelli on 7:30? I'm sure I've heard similar comments before. Deja Vu all over again.

Last edited by shasta; 30-10-18 at 20:06.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone watching Chapelli on 7:30? I'm sure I've heard similar comments before. Deja Vu all over again.
    All they have to do is replace a single consonant in that report...CA to RA....and voila!

The only difference is CA has a win at all cost attitude, RA a lose at all cost one

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion
    vCash
    Not Alan Jones but looks like Wayne Smith may loose his cosy relationship with RA after this one

Why Rugby Australia needs to pull its head out of sand.

adapted from Wayne Smith, Senior Sport Writer

Just how much stamina does Simon Longstaff have?
    He presumably is looking forward to taking a well-earned rest after the review into Cricket Australia. But there is another task requiring his attention: Conducting a similar review into RA and Australian rugby in general.

As the findings of the cricket review were released - notably 3 days AFTER the CA Board Meeting - every Australian rugby supporter could sense their applicability to the game they play in heaven.

There are remarkable similaritiess between the two sports — tone-deaf chairmen; newly-appointed CEO’s, one an insider, the other an outsider, neither doing a great deal other than to toe the party line.

The rugby review terms of reference remain fuzzy but in many ways this is the core problem of RA.
    It’s having its own difficulties determining where it wants to get to and which plan to follow. RA is a much smaller organisation than CA but it was rugby that led directly to one of cricket’s recent main stumbling blocks, the power of the coach.
    Ironically, CA, with the advice of former Wallaby Pat Howard, anointed an all-powerful who took no criticism.
    This may suit an 80 minute sport like rugby where men like Chek and Jones, Randwick boys both, built empires in which their word is never questioned. But it does not suit
    a five-day sport where the day-to-day running
    of the side is conducted by the captain not the coach.
    CA came to grief for initiating a win-at-all-cost attitude, without ever pausing to consider just what the cost might be.
    RA has no interest in winning anything except the RWC, yet has taken a similar approach and effectively has put no safeguards in place to keep the national side from spinning off the track.

Chek gets what he wants when he wants it and isn’t constrained by what he doesn’t want. Outside interference in selecting his assistant coaches — no. External selection panel — no. George Gregan to act as “leadership mentor” — no.
    The last one is especially odd given that Jones, whose winning percentage with England has fallen to 80.6 per cent, has been forced by the RFU to accept Will Carling as a leadership mentor while Chek, with win rate of 49.1 percent, has had no constraints placed on him at all. Is that the reason Adam Ashley-Cooper has been brought in, one wonders, to compensate for the lack of leadership in the Wallabies? Where does the power lie in Australian rugby? Not with the board and the senior executives, which was the problem CA allowed to go
    unchecked. No, in rugby the real power at present resides with the Wallaby coach. Chek took over in a period of crisis and was able to dictate his own terms, but it will all come to an end at the very latest on November 2
    next year, when the RWC final is held. Until then, however, RA has done nothing other than slap Cheika on the back and wish him godspeed, having absolved itself of failure.

No doubt RA would say it has been subjected to two independent reviews over the past 12 months, the first by the Senate Inquiry and then the spin-off investigation of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission. So many people, particularly in Western Australia, put such
    great faith in them, only to be disappointed. They were sledgehammers attempting to crack a nut yet wielded so softly, so delicately that in the end the shell barely fractured.

But in the likely event that Dr Longstaff is exhausted from sorting out the rough from the smooth in Sandpapergate, what individuals might take on the task?

Cool heads are needed for the task. My recommendation — a committee of Phil Thomson, an Australian Under-21 player, a former Federal policeman, a Brumbies manager,
    chairman and current CEO, a Wallabies manager for 106 Tests and the first Integrity Officer of the ARU; Andrew Slack, the Grand Slam-winning Wallabies captain whose distinguishing characteristic on and off the field, aside from his fundamental decency, was poise under pressure; and
    — just because I have the devil in me — Gideon Haigh. He knows pretty much nothing about rugby, which will give him a clear eye, he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of just about everything else and he is the clearest thinker I know. Besides, he is getting the ball past the bat every time CA pushes forward in defence. And who better to write the report?

Strangely, CA was able to hold its AGM three days before the Longstaff report was handed down, thereby theoretically shoring up the Chair's position.
    That might all change if the state associations exercise their constitutional right to toss him out, but certainly rugby needs to be aware that entrenched forces rarely go willingly.
    Rugby also needs to guard against the sort of stupidity that CA has shown since the report was handed down. One of the core recommendations was that Test and one-day players be excused from playing T20 internationals so that they can concentrate on Sheffield Shield matches.
    It makes exceptional sense. CA rejected it. Rugby has had too many talkfests to sanction another. The question is: Does RA have the balls to look into the mirror?

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well that's a pretty good answer to those posters who regularly lump Wayne in with the likes of Panda, GRob and Payto. I've said plenty of times he is the lone ES journo who has had the gonads to write pretty honestly all along. Good journos don't need cosy relationships built on malleability and laziness to get at the truth - it's why they only get spin more often than not. Like Chris and Roy Masters they get there by sheer hard slog and building relationships based on trust and respect.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Looks like Wayne has been slumming it at TWF

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Looks like Wayne has been slumming it at TWF
    I suppose the Alan Jones' article gave him a boot up the date.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Let’s hope that the cricket review has opened myopic rugby eyes over east . The similarities between CA and RA are uncanny as are the consequences of their actions and inactions

vCash
    Clyne and Peever are probably getting together over a couple of bottles of Bolly this weekend to compare stories about how mean eveyone’s being to them and how no-one appreciates the amazing work they’ve done for their respective sports.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Clyne and Peever are probably getting together over a couple of bottles of Bolly this weekend to compare stories about how mean eveyone’s being to them and how no-one appreciates the amazing work they’ve done for their respective sports.
    Bolly? You are sure it isn't Buckfast?

vCash
    if Wayne Smith is suggesting that Cheika should be replaced then my thoughts are that he is testing the water to see what outrage there would be if he was terminated - judging from the comments, no outrage signals green light to WS masters to move ahead with that - if only they could think of a replacement. Suggest WS next articles would offer some suggestions to test the forum waters

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    if Wayne Smith is suggesting that Cheika should be replaced then my thoughts are that he is testing the water to see what outrage there would be if he was terminated - judging from the comments, no outrage signals green light to WS masters to move ahead with that - if only they could think of a replacement. Suggest WS next articles would offer some suggestions to test the forum waters
    You're a tease Lou! Now you've got us all excited.

Senior Player
    vCash
    On the other hand ...

Peever-set-to-resign-as-chairman-of-cricket-australia-20181101-p50dfb.html

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Well done Mr Peever. Perhaps you can tell Mr Clyne, why you took notice of what cricket people were thinking and saying and decided to resign.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast