Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    The All Blacks are world class at attacking from this gifted possession. What is our plan of defence for counter-attack? And when we win their ball, do we think attack? How quickly do we use it?

And is our alignment such that we can spread it. Or is our attack butchered by forwards getting in the road of backs. The players give me the impression that they are worried about what they are meant to do, worried that some analyst with a laptop is going to judge their worth.

Ben Smith an NZ scribe (I think) wrote a great piece on the wallabies attack. Wallabies do all these rehearsed attacking moves but start so deep that the moves are complete and we still hadn't engaged the AB defence. Is was actually comical. Surely that falls squarely on Foley as he sets the attack line.
    Runners should know where to stand with out being told. Schoolboy stuff.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Looks like Alan has upset a few people in the establishment. To be honest whoever Beth Newman is she is not a reporter I read any of, if she works for Rugby.com.au then there is no doubt in my mind she would be a useless hack like the rest of their reporters. In fact the rugby.com.au website has become the centerpiece of misinformation akin to the days when the Soviet Union ran their own media pieces to shape the views of their many followers.. I think he has basically shown what's wrong in this country with not only the RA and the way its run, but also all the little pieces around it which help the establishment hang onto its power via the powerful platform of media to spread false news and bend and twist things in favour of Rugby Australia.

I have no doubt in my mind Beth is a hack, just like the rest of them hiding away behind Rugby.com.au and even the ones over at Foxsports... I personally dont like Georgina Robinsons close ties to the foxsports crew either, she is losing credibility very fast.

Alan Jones column sparks outrage for attack on female reporter

AUGUST 31, 2018 6:06PM
    Paul: 'It rips your soul apart'

news.com.au
    AUSTRALIAN rugby identity Alan Jones has come under fire for a stunning, unprovoked attack on a female journalist.
    The former Wallabies coach took the extraordinary step of singling out rugby.com.au reporter Beth Newman in a seething column for The Australian, where he spat fire at the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and its chief executive Raelene Castle.

Jones’ personal attack on the ARU website reporter has attracted an angry backlash from rugby commentators.

The 75-year-old 2GB radio host labelled Newman a “hack” and claimed she was unqualified to be commenting on the Wallabies after reading her reports in the official program of the Wallabies’ 40-12 loss to the All Blacks at Eden Park on Saturday night.

Reporter Beth Newman and Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle.
    Reporter Beth Newman and Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle.

Jones’ bizarre comments about Newman came after he also gunned Castle with accusations that the Kiwi administrator “knows nothing about the game”.

The shock jock appeared to link his view — that Castle’s administration doesn’t understand the real issues Australian rugby is facing — with the copy Newman produced for the official match-day magazine.

Other commentators believe Jones’ attack on Newman was motivated by other factors.

Jones wrote in his regular column for The Australian that Newman was a “paid mouthpiece” of the ARU.

“I picked up the rugby program for the Test match last Saturday in New Zealand,” Jones wrote.

“The world of rugby was present at the game. They would read the program. And some hack, Beth Newman, is writing on Australian Rugby. You guessed it — she’s a paid mouthpiece for Australian Rugby.

“How the hell would her utterly irrelevant musings represent an appropriate evaluation to the world of the state of the Wallabies? And what on earth must the rest of the world think about us when such drivel passes for authoritative comment.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Political correctness gone mad! He didn't insult her just the crap she writes! Bet that was RA PR department jumping on anything to deflect!!

vCash
    It might have been unprovoked, but was it accurate?

I assume that piece was posted on rugby.com.au, in defense if their "journalistic" "integrity"

C'mon the

vCash
    He goes in to more detail on his radio show on Monday. Around 52 minutes in.

Basically accuses of her writing propaganda and bs about the Wallabies form in the match program inAuckland.

Champion
    vCash
    Yes it would seem she is a RA employee but perhaps we need to see what she has written before we pass our own judgement. Anyone have the programme.

vCash
    https://www.2gb.com/podcast/alan-jon...w-august-27th/

Time stamps for when he talks about Rugby.

3:04
    15:04
    34:49
    46:00 to 47:29 he talks about the program.

Jones said he doesn't know who Beth Newman is then found out that she is a paid mouthpiece for the RA so how could the international people reading the program can build up an independent and objective viewpoint. Newman wrote that the players are fitter and better prepared this year to have a crack at the All Blacks. They haven't been as well prepared since the 2015 RWC. She said that after winning the first test against Ireland and losing the next two there were positives to gain from it.

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    https://www.2gb.com/podcast/alan-jon...w-august-27th/

Time stamps for when he talks about Rugby.

3:04
    15:04
    34:49
    46:00 to 47:29 he talks about the program.

Jones said he doesn't know who Beth Newman is then found out that she is a paid mouthpiece for the RA so how could the international people reading the program can build up an independent and objective viewpoint. Newman wrote that the players are fitter and better prepared this year to have a crack at the All Blacks. They haven't been as well prepared since the 2015 RWC. She said that after winning the first test against Ireland and losing the next two there were positives to gain from it.
    His comments seemed very fair. I have no idea what the witch hunt is about. Alan Jones literally dissected the entry into the program by Beth Newman and read out line after line whilst giving his thoughts on why it read as complete garbage and why we are a laughing stock to the international audience. I thought it was a good listen, and it's TRUE, Beth is literally just an RA mouth piece, she has no credibility in the rugby journalistic world

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    His comments seemed very fair. I have no idea what the witch hunt is about. Alan Jones literally dissected the entry into the program by Beth Newman and read out line after line whilst giving his thoughts on why it read as complete garbage and why we are a laughing stock to the international audience. I thought it was a good listen, and it's TRUE, Beth is literally just an RA mouth piece, she has no credibility in the rugby journalistic world
    If her editor in chief (believed to be Iain Payten) told her to write a piece in the program with a positive spin on it than she is another individual there at Moore Park that has been thrown under the bus. Paul Cully, Mark Ella, etc could write an independent and honest article for the match day program that Alan is referring too.

The past two articles that Ella has written have been excellent.

As Sir Geoffrey Boycott said after the 4-0 Ashes flogging on the BT review that Michael (Vaughan) and I have been criticised about being too negative on our radio program (BBC TMS which is excellent) from listeners and not focus on the positives. Boycs said 'positives?' 'What positives are you going to get from a 4-0 hiding seriously?' 'If we went fishing for positives when they are none that would affect our credibility by not doing our jobs in giving honest opinions.'

vCash
    Won't be long before Raelene Castle is defended in the same way, this is a litmus test

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    If her editor in chief (believed to be Iain Payten) told her to write a piece in the program with a positive spin on it than she is another individual there at Moore Park that has been thrown under the bus. Paul Cully, Mark Ella, etc could write an independent and honest article for the match day program that Alan is referring too.

The past two articles that Ella has written have been excellent.

As Sir Geoffrey Boycott said after the 4-0 Ashes flogging on the BT review that Michael (Vaughan) and I have been criticised about being too negative on our radio program (BBC TMS which is excellent) from listeners and not focus on the positives. Boycs said 'positives?' 'What positives are you going to get from a 4-0 hiding seriously?' 'If we went fishing for positives when they are none that would affect our credibility by not doing our jobs in giving honest opinions.'
    With all the negative press around and not just from the media in the West but everywhere including fan media such as the roar, G&G, and sites such as Rugbyheaven, scrum.com.au, theaustralian etc etc the only place in Australia that is sending out puff pieces designed to paint the RA positively when every other site in Australia is painting a negative portrait of them just shows that rugby.com.au is just a genuine mouthpiece for the RA to get some positive media articles out there when it's all doom and gloom with nothing but darkness, blackness and misery on the horizon. It's funny that there used to be comments on every rugby.com.au article but after the Force axeing and subsequently every comment was negative in every article for like 6 months until they removed it so even the positive RA mouth piece couldnt hide all the negative hysteria floating about the place so they have had to disable comments and pay there pawns to write clever do good articles about a sport they all seem to know very little about..

vCash
    Some of the 'comments' that were directed towards Jodi Hodgson were downright disgraceful.

vCash
    Some of the 'comments' that were directed towards Jodi Hodgson were downright disgraceful.
    Yeah it was pretty disgusting and I can bet those comments came from fake accounts run by people working for the RA or with a close association with RugbyAustralia. They were always done by a tiny small group of people but always from the same accounts and also always seemed to post the exact opposite of what the huge avalanche of public comments were disputing or arguing against in each of the RA's paid for mouth piece articles. Basically every time there was a huge tidal wave of negative comments in one of there rugby.com.au articles the same [fake]accounts would appear to pretend everything was ok. Certain peoples accounts (Jodi's) got special attention from them and you just knew that these [fake] accounts were obviously set up by the RA and if they werent the RA condoned their disgusting behaviour. These same clowns want to try and crucify Alan Jones for disagreeing with one of their uneducated unindependant paid journos comments in a program the world media would have laughed at and probably joked about. Ha.

vCash
    Yeah and there were people following her around on Facebook. Some pricks unveiled the online identity of certain posters on here.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My (Alan Jones') rugby column from yesterday's The Australian (7 Sep 2018):

The Rugby Championship clash tomorrow in Brisbane between Australia and South Africa has more to it than meets the eye.

News out of South Africa this week reported that the South African Rugby Union was on the verge of fin*ancial collapse after recording a loss of 62 million rand, which is equivalent to about $5.5 million.
    Many in South Africa are blaming their woes on the fact that they have lost the bid for the 2023 World Cup. They argue that hosting the event would have pocketed the South African Rugby Union 38.5 million rand in sponsorship deals; but France won the bid and South Africa’s money dreams came crashing down.

A bit like us. No money, it seems, for those things that matter.

It is against that backdrop that we have a Test match tomorrow night. A lot is at stake for both teams. And our administration is in disarray.
    This is a tough environment in which to ask our Wallabies to perform. As well, it is impossible to know what impact the two crushing defeats at the hands of the All Blacks have had on the Wallabies.
    Some sections of the media are calling on Rugby Australia to appoint a director of rugby to oversee selection and keep a check on the head coach and his team.
    The director of rugby, presumably, would be the person who survives and creates continuity as each head coach gets thrown under the bus.

That seems to be the way the professional game is going these days. Only this week, Matt O’Connor, the Australian in charge of the Leicester Tigers, was sacked after one match of the English Premiership season.
    We live in the age of the disposable coach. Professional sport is brutal. You have to win to pay the bills — though why players should get paid for losing, I have no idea.

The new coach in charge of South Africa is Rassie Erasmus.
    He was appointed the director of rugby for South African Rugby and then appointed himself as head coach. He is on a six-year deal, so he is the big dog in South African rugby.
    And as the Wallabies prepare to play the Springboks tomorrow night in Brisbane, it is worth noting some of the comments coming from Erasmus. South Africa lost their last outing to Argentina 32-19 two weeks ago in Mendoza.
    New coach Erasmus said: “We are desperate. We lost against a team we didn’t want to lose against, so I think it will be two teams trying to rectify the previous weeks’ mistakes. And them playing at home will make it tougher for us.”

Well, what does this mean?
    I think it means because of the loss, Erasmus has been forced to rethink his plans and he may prove much more conservative in his *approach tomorrow night.
    Again, he is quoted: “When you lose, the pressure is more. Everyone always says we’re building, but we must win. If you lose, there is pressure, no matter who you lose to. The pressure is on us to perform better and to win.”

The plan after Argentina had been to make quite a few changes in order to test a few things without making the team less effective or disrespecting Australia.
    Again, the coach: “We have put ourselves in a position where we have to win at all costs".
    “We will definitely experiment less than we would have, but there will be a few changes.”

Well they have added the former sevens winger Cheslin Kolbe to the squad. He is one of six changes to the side, with centres Jesse Kriel and Damian de Allende, halfback Ross Cronje, hooker Schalk Brits and loose forward Sikhumbuzo Notshe coming in.
    The Springboks normally don’t travel too well, but they will pose a significant threat for Michael Cheika’s Wallabies.
    South Africa’s new coach is full of energy and bounce. He has brought back some magnificent players in the midfield in de *Allende and Kriel.
    They have an excellent scrum, driven by the monster, Malcolm Marx, and their lineout is always outstanding with the likes of Eben Etzebeth patrolling the skies.
    Simply, this new Springboks coach is banging the drum.

It is often said that a leader is a merchant of hope and if it comes down to which coach has the most juice right now, we might be in for a tough night under lights.
    With all the speculation around Cheika’s job, it seems to have shaken him up a bit. His team was hammered by the All Blacks two weeks in a row and it is essential we do not lose our bounce.

But I was disappointed to see us run on at Eden Park like Brown’s cows.
    Rev up, boys! Look as though you expect to win. And win well.
    It comes down to senior players Pocock, Hooper, Genia, Beale and Folau. They have to find a way to get the job done.

Rugby supporters will note the Springboks are a massive team, but they do have some problems.
    The balance of their backrow has been questioned, so there is an opportunity for us, via Hooper and Pocock, to outplay the Springboks in the tackle area. We will have to be effective there, because we will have our hands full in the set piece.
    South Africa has some wonderful speed out wide and the fullback, Willie le Roux, you will love — a majestic player.
    Yet Argentina managed to unpick the Springboks defence around the ruck and their quick backs took on the big South African forwards with great footwork and inside balls.
    They played with the football. They didn’t die with it. And they created space out wide against South Africa’s rush defence.
    At times, the Springbok speedsters looked lost. This is the perfect Test match for the Wallabies to get back on the horse.

We will need to front up. Effort alone won’t get us there. *Execution is important and that is where we have failed. We have to play with the football, rather than die with it.
    South Africa are not as polished as the All Blacks. They won’t have a number 10 to take control, as we saw from the All Blacks. And they won’t be as ruthless as New Zealand on the turnovers. And hopefully we won’t be kicking the ball down their throats.

There is no reason why we cannot be in the contest early and, in fact, be well ahead on the scoreboard. We cannot be thinking of a “tight win”.
    The Wallabies need to understand they have support; but they have to challenge themselves to go out and clean out South Africa.
    It has to be up-tempo, high voltage, attacking Rugby.

And remember, you are attacking when you are defending.
    And when you win their ball at the breakdown, shift it wide and support the football, inside and outside the ball carrier.
    And if the South Africans play kick chase, do not kick it back to them. Hold on to the ball and use it. Make them make 150-plus tackles and shift the point of the attack around so that their big monsters have no time to get set.

It is called running rugby.
    It used to be the Wallabies’ natural game. But it is not basketball. It has to be responsible use of the football. I have said many times, to win without risk is to triumph without glory.
    We have had two good rugby lessons in our last two games. Time now to teach the Springboks how to play on Australian soil.

Their record away since 2016 has been appalling.
    Their latest mishap on the road came against Argentina in Mendoza two weekends ago, where they looked a totally different outfit from the one that had dominated Argentina in Durban the week before. And South Africa have struggled away from home against Australia and New Zealand since the advent of the Rugby Championship in 2012. In fact, South Africa last beat Australia away from home in 2013.

But their forwards can turn it on. In Durban only a couple of weeks ago, they pounded Argentina into submission, with big ball carriers, a dominant scrum and ferocious play at the breakdown.
    Forward play will be the hallmark of the South Africans’ play and they will back themselves to dominate Australia at set-piece time, especially at the scrum.

The heat will be on, and they will seek to win penalties. Their maul has been good. But to be effective, they have to win the lineout. Surely to God we have improved in this area.
    One weakness still remains at the back of the lineout, because of a lack of height.

That said, goalkicking has been a massive problem for South Africa, so they haven’t been able to build scoreboard pressure and, at times, their defence has been pretty average, especially in Mendoza, where they just could not handle Argentina’s strike runners, particularly when they used the ball out wide.

This is a golden opportunity for Australia. There are strengths all over the paddock in the South African team, but there are also weaknesses.
    The strategy is simple. Take them on at their strengths and then exploit the weaknesses.
    The scoreboard could then provide some convincing relief for Australia.

Let’s hope so. It’s long overdue.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast