Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies warned members the Super Rugby club could fold if crowds continue to fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Genia is being rested by Rebels.
    London to a brick, the rebels have been told they aren't in the cross-hairs for the next superficial rugby assassination

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Genia is being rested by Rebels.
    I doubt he is fit anyhow.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Damn farking straight. About time someone outside of WA had the balls to stand up to the RA. Well done Dan McKellar and Michael Thomson. The latest news is that all three players will be selected for the Sunwolves match.

Val don't forget this is the same clown College that scheduled a Super Rugby match for the Force three days prior to their match against the Lions. Another Aussie side had a bye I think it was the Reds. They knew 12 months prior to the release of the Super Rugby draw the Lions fixtures. Foley picked a weak side against the Lions and conceded 60 points. Felt sorry for Foley and the players this one is for you.
    We had a bye the weekend before, and then played the Lions on Wednesday 5th June and the Waratahs on Sunday 9th June.
    The Reds had played on the 1st June (Rebels) and then played the Lions on the 8th June. They had a bye from Super Rugby that weekend.
    The following mid-week game for the Lions was 'Combined Country', a NSW/Qld country barbarian side.

If the ARU had swapped the Force and Combined Country matches round, and swapped the two SR matches (Brumbies-Rebels on the 7th June & Force-Waratahs on 9th June), then the Force could have had a 5 day break between the Waratahs and Lions rather than 4 days between the Lions and Tahs. None of the other sides would have had a less than 7 day turn-around, either.

But the argument was the 1st match had to be in Perth to prevent extra travel for the Lions. Really?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    We had a bye the weekend before, and then played the Lions on Wednesday 5th June and the Waratahs on Sunday 9th June.
    The Reds had played on the 1st June (Rebels) and then played the Lions on the 8th June. They had a bye from Super Rugby that weekend.
    The following mid-week game for the Lions was 'Combined Country', a NSW/Qld country barbarian side.

If the ARU had swapped the Force and Combined Country matches round, and swapped the two SR matches (Brumbies-Rebels on the 7th June & Force-Waratahs on 9th June), then the Force could have had a 5 day break between the Waratahs and Lions rather than 4 days between the Lions and Tahs. None of the other sides would have had a less than 7 day turn-around, either.

But the argument was the 1st match had to be in Perth to prevent extra travel for the Lions. Really?
    Yep it was to prevent travel. Werent they playing an Barbarian side in Hong Kong so they "needed" to come to WA first... what a scam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Yep it was to prevent travel. Werent they playing an Barbarian side in Hong Kong so they "needed" to come to WA first... what a scam.
    Well the 2001 Lions Tour started in WA and Ashes tours start there too. The thing is SANZAAR and the RA knew the Lions schedule 12 months prior to formatting the Super Rugby draw for 2013. Instead of doing their due diligence they threw stones at the Lions. SANZAAR also did the same thing to the Blues last year scheduling the Reds to play them in Fiji then the Lions three days later. The Blues fielded a weak side against the Reds and almost lost. Thick as pig shít they are.

Don't get me started on Sunday Rugby particularly in a comp where there is extensive travel.

vCash
    Well the 2001 Lions Tour started in WA and Ashes tours start there too. The thing is SANZAAR and the RA knew the Lions schedule 12 months prior to formatting the Super Rugby draw for 2013. Instead of doing their due diligence they threw stones at the Lions. SANZAAR also did the same thing to the Blues last year scheduling the Reds to play them in Fiji then the Lions three days later. The Blues fielded a weak side against the Reds and almost lost. Thick as pig shít they are.

Don't get me started on Sunday Rugby particularly in a comp where there is extensive travel.
    Yeah I went to that game at the WACA where we were hammered by over a hundred points.. still enjoyed it. Never celebrated so hard when we scored the try against the Lions.. it was the lions biggest ever win too I think.. anyways enough reminiscing about that. the Super Rugby format has always been pretty ridiculous. The Force have had some very rough schedules at times.. i reckon we suffered the most in that respect. I just dont think SANZAAR are fit to run an international tournament. The RA are even less qualified.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    While the ARU are dickheads, lets not rewrite history. The reason we played midweek is because the Lions changed their schedule to add the Hong Kong fixture to impress sponsors. Nothing to do with the ARU. I still feel anger that Foley played a b side against the Lions- once in a lifetime for some players- while our A side was embarrassed by a b side Waratahs.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    While the ARU are dickheads, lets not rewrite history. The reason we played midweek is because the Lions changed their schedule to add the Hong Kong fixture to impress sponsors. Nothing to do with the ARU. I still feel anger that Foley played a b side against the Lions- once in a lifetime for some players- while our A side was embarrassed by a b side Waratahs.
    Yep never understood that.. getting a Lions scalp is like getting a super rugby title, and its probably even rarer than that. Once in a life time and Foley blew it... nothing unusual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Nah that game was well in the pipeline, the Force were going to play the Lions midweek and to have it they had to negotiate with the AP clubs for player release well before the Super Rugby draw came out. The morons went out and put a similar schedule on the Blues forcing Umaga to pick a weakened side in the choice of two matches.

vCash
    Nah that game was well in the pipeline and to have it they had to negotiate with the AP clubs for player release well before the Super Rugby draw came out. The morons went out and put a similar schedule on the Blues forcing Umaga to pick a weakened side in the choice of two matches.
    Well atleast it sounded like Umaga had some common sense selecting his A team for the Lions.

vCash
    The Lions schedule including the Barbarians fixture was announced in November 2011

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...Melbourne.html

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you in response to the article in The Canberra Times published yesterday in regards to the Brumbies' viability. As a member of the Rugby community in the ACT it is deeply concerning to read that as we have seen in Western Australia the extreme consequences. The state body there went in to voluntary administration when the Force were wound up as they lost their main revenue stream to be able to meet their debts.

I believe now is time to look at the future options which include the competition that the team participates as the current status quo is not working. The marketing for Super Rugby currently is non existent which definitely wasn't the case in the Super 12/14 days, teams go weeks without a home match so they are away from their supporters for long periods of time (out of sight and mind), not enough give in regards to scheduling home matches and the competition itself doesn't generate enough revenue for its participants. The threat of South Africa pulling their teams out of Super Rugby is real so time now for the Brumbies to look at other opportunities which may revitalise the game in ACT and southern New South Wales. Forget about waiting for Rugby Australia they will just waste more time on consultants and reviews, the Brumbies can't sit around and wait.

I would suggest making a call to Andrew Forrest as early as next week as professional Rugby in Perth has a new lease of life in the last few months. They have control over fixture scheduling, marketing has gone up ten fold (definitely an issue here in Canberra), the team spends more time at home so they can get out to the Rugby community and he has invested in a program titled 'Rugby Roos' which is targeted towards children to encourage them to take up the sport at school or at their local club. Rugby Roos is also funded by Mindaroo which alleviates that pressure off the clubs, schools and state governing body and the Force players are assisting with the coaching. Getting the players involved in the coaching helps the children build a connection to them and also may encourage them to take up a coaching role when they retire from playing. The Force players in their contracts are required to do three hundred hours of community service a year.

The fans have come back to support the team in Perth and they have got it done in the space of a few months which wouldn't happen under the influence of Rugby Australia an organisation that needs a total overhaul which I will get to later. Rugby is getting a lot more coverage in various media streams in Perth which the game is lacking at the moment in other states.

Andrew Forrest's competition also has a focus towards Asia which I believe is where the Brumbies are now targeting anyway. It would make perfect sense given the sponsorship deals the team is looking at attracting and there are now international flights out of Canberra to Asia without having to go through Sydney.

Rugby Australia needs a total overhaul otherwise they will go out of business. The board and the current Chairman are major problems. They failed to be honest in regards to what was occurring behind closed doors while that happened players and supporters walked. It required a Senate Inquiry to be able to get some answers out to the Rugby public. The nominations committee that appoints the board and its Chairman have to go as we currently don't get a true representation of people on the board who have the game's interests at heart.

I have seen the annual report and the community Rugby allocation is nothing but a disgrace and this is while the governing body is still forking out far too much money towards the Melbourne Rebels. The outgoing CEO also took a pay out. For what? The Brumbies and the Force have been paid lip service since day one from the governing body so it is time to look elsewhere and the alternative is looking pretty good so far. We can't sit here and be laid to rot. The clubs via distribution from the local union are getting the smell of an oily rag from Rugby Australia. They are largely having to fund game development by themselves as the Brumbies get very little assistance from Rugby Australia. It is time to look at what Minderoo have to offer.

The vast majority of clubs don't have the resources that the likes of Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan have so it is very difficult to fund development from their budget.

There are some answers out there so I hope you pursue them for Rugby's sake in the ACT and southern New South Wales.

Regards
    Have you had a response yet? I would be very interested to hear what they have to say for themselves. I'd imagine that noone in the Brumbies club will be willing to stand up to the tyranny of Clyne and co.

vCash
    No not heard back yet. It took the NSWRU about two weeks to get back to me. The email has been CCed on to another party.

Super Sport confirmed that the 2013 Super Rugby draw was announced in September 2012 https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sup...draw_announced

SANZAAR and the RA knew in the time frame between November 2011 and September 2012 that there was a match scheduled in Hong Kong between the Lions and the Barbarians and player releases had been negotiated between the Lions committee and the AP clubs in England. Despite this the RA had negotiated a separate start for the Australian teams in Super Rugby but still stuffed it up for the Force. Yes it was the biggest match in WA Rugby history outside of the RWC matches and the Wallabies tests in Perth however I wouldn't blame Foley too much as he was left in a no win situation by the arseholes ruining the game in Australia.

I'd imagine that noone in the Brumbies club will be willing to stand up to the tyranny of Clyne and co.
    You will be surprised. There is no love between the RA and the Brumbies. The Brumbies told O'Neill to f..k off in his first stint as CEO.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...sions-heighten

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...21-gv2ulu.html

Last edited by Bakkies; 31-05-18 at 21:14.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Lions schedule including the Barbarians fixture was announced in November 2011

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...Melbourne.html
    Well I'll have to eat my words on that one. I could have sworn there was a schedule change that caused the reshuffle- maybe my memory is failing me...

Maybe it was the fact that the Lions don't traditionally play a game in Hong Kong and, had that not made that choice, the Force game could have been scheduled on the Saturday beforehand. It was on a Friday back in 2001.

Not to say the the ARU couldn't have pushed for a fairer Super Rugby schedule, but still the Lions fault for scheduling the Hong Kong game. Regardless of what the ARU did, surely it would have been better to play on a Friday or Saturday night?

I have a feeling that that 2013 Lions game was the last live rugby game I have seen (been living remote too long).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It is not the Lions fault the RA and Sanzaar had ten months to award the Force the bye further exasperated by the fact that the Lions had been out in Australia discussing tour logistics. They went ahead and did it to the Blues four years later. Would have been farcical had the Blues been in contention for the Finals.

The 2017 tour also started on the weekend against the Provincial Barbarians a combined NPC side. On both tours Super Rugby didn't want to provide opposition while the comp was on at the same time so the Lions looked for other alternatives.

2001 is not a comparison fixture wise as the Super 12 tournament finished two weeks prior to the tour started so the RA had time to organise a warm up game for the Wallabies against the NZ Maori.

Last edited by Bakkies; 01-06-18 at 05:07.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast