Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WSR game 1 - Force v Fiji

vCash
    Seeing the Force run out onto the pitch was spine tingling - nearly nine months since we wipped the Tahs, got cut, senate inquiries.. but officially we're back!
    What a great night and atmosphere. Thank's Twiggy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Was impressed with Deegan and some of the attacking plays were great also good defense by the guys. Some things need tweaking, teams introduced on the screen separately with a picture as they used to do, Refs decisions need to be explained either on screen or by voiceover, too much music while play was on especially in first half. Thought Loner Cam was hilarious and the guy on screen played up to it well, also enjoyed the guy wearing the spray jacket saying Thanks Twiggy, then he turned round and printed on the back was Screw You ARU!.Did anyone else notice the translation of the Aboriginal dance up on the screen, part of which was about spearing the Eastern Long Noses. Perhaps we can refer to Pulver and Clyne as Eastern Long Noses now! The prematch entertainment was awesome and the crowd numbers amazing but the next game against Tonga will be a different kettle of fish for a start it is a daytime game and on Mothers day. I hope everyone in Perth will continue to support these games

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Loved being back at NIB watching our team again! The only thing I didn’t like was the music after the game had started. That needs to go, in my opinion. Also would love a matchday program as so many of the players are new to me. The program could also include details of the players in the Future Force as well.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    And Clyne really does have a long nose, PG!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    just had a thought for the last game - maybe Force v Jaguares - that would be a good contest

truth triumphs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And Clyne really does have a long nose, PG!
    So he does and it’s always in the trough!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    My tuppence-worth:

- Great to see the team back. Can agree to the spine-tingling sensation when watching the sides run onto NIB again.
    - Having a live band before the match, at half-time, and at the end was a good idea. Wolfmother aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I don't think you'll get anyone who everyone will like.
    - The pre-match entertainment was slightly wasted on me - I'll be coming anyway - but getting local dance troupes involved, fireworks, Westy arriving by zip-line (what?) all entertained the families. A bit of razzmatazz doesn't hurt.
    - Westy and the blue/red man group going round the ground during the match kept the crowd entertained during breaks in play. Whoever is in the Westy suit seems to have a sense of humour (pinching someone's jacket and parading around with it like a fashion model!) and kept the kids amused and distracted from medical attention on the pitch.
    - Someone mentioned that the announcer was the Wildcats announcer. I know he once referred to us as the 'Sea of Red'! The playing music, getting chants going, etc, may be just what basketball needs, but hopefully someone will have a word with him that rugby crowds don't need constant haranguing. Especially, tell him to shut up when the Fijians (or Tongans/Samoans in the future) start their challenge. People know (I hope) not to interrupt the Haka, this is their version.
    - The Fijians weren't a thrown together Barbarian side - they were a serious challenge and possibly one of the tougher tests this year. To come out on the winning side bodes well.
    - The new rules didn't seem to make any great change to the play. For all the talk about the 9-point tries, no-one got remotely close to scoring one, and the scrums, line-outs and substitutions didn't appear any different to a normal match.

About the players:
    - None of the front rowers had bad games, especially considering they were up against a 2nd string international side and held their own in the scrums. Tessman was his old battling self until his injury - hope he's back next week. Seeing Keiran back in Perth was a truly joyous thing.
    - Of the locks, I'd say Lee-Warner had the better game, even with Bardoul's try. Lee-Warner was getting through a mammoth amount of work.
    - The back row were, as always seems to be the case for the Force, an area of great strength. Ferris and Stander had good games doing the hard work which rarely makes the highlight reel. Alcock was similar, although his work should make the highlight reel!
    - Prior was quick to the breakdown and good in his distribution. I thought Louwrens was a bit of a step-down, but maybe he needs more time to get back up to full speed.
    - Deegan was excellent, and probably the best of the new players. I can see why some Waratahs fans were so aggrieved to see him go.
    - Lacey should probably make the Wallaby training squad on his defensive capability alone (God knows they need better defence out wide!) He's a bigger bloke than I remember, too - must have spent time in the gym.
    - I'm not sure about Iona's match. He seemed intent to pass far more than run - not a bad trait in a 10, but worrying for a 12. I'll have to watch a re-run to see if I've mis-judged him.
    - Brache. Really, what can I say. Heart and soul a Force man and looked like it was still 2017 and he was running through the Waratahs defence.
    - Davies lived up to his 'Rocket' moniker. I'm worried he took a knock or two and seemed to need a while to shake them off, but at the speed he moves they may have been substantial impacts.
    - Grant was impressive at full-back and we seemed to lose our way more than somewhat when he went off.

A slightly worrying note was that in Deegan, Iona and Davies we don't have a very tall set of backs. Brache was standing next to this trio and looked like a giant.

Lets face it, this wasn't a Super Rugby match and some of the skill and fitness levels on show were what you expect of a pre-season hit-out for a good NRC side. The skills and fitness will improve, and we'll be playing 6 more pre-season matches before carrying the 2018 NRC title away with us, probably in an unbeaten season. (Well, I can dream!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Succinct round up Sheikh

Sorry to deflect, but looking at the round up of the Rebels vs Crusaders on that cesspit The Roar, it's hilarious that all the sycophants like Joel oops TWAS have turned on Wessels and the Force contingent big time. Ruru, Coleman, Billy, Rangi, etc are all useless loosers, and Dave is a clueless one trick pony who can only perform when everyone (coach, players, supporters) are buying in the culture and program...oh dear is nobody buying into Rebels culture?

Oh, and the other Force plyers Peni, Arnold etc are also useless wastes.

What struck me about the guys last night is they all seem to be buying into the Force just like last year's players (and coach). Awesome.

ps they even think getting 11000 to the Crusaders...yup the best provincial team in the world, and current champions, in a city of 4mil packed with Kiwis and PIs is a real achievement...laughable

pps there is even extensive discussion about shrinking to three, or even two, teams is the best result for Aus rugby. I shit you not

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion
    vCash
    World Series Rugby: Western Force begin new era with a bang with 24-14 win over Fiji
    Nick TaylorThe West Australian

Two hundred and ninety four days after Rugby Australia thought it had thrown the Western Force on to the scrapheap, the reborn club rose from the ashes to win its first game on Friday night.
    The Force beat the Fiji Warriors 24-14 in game one of the seven-match World Series Rugby, outscoring the visitors four tries to two.
    But the occasion far outweighed the result.
    On an emotional night at nib Stadium, 19,466 fans sent a strong message to RA — don’t mess with the west.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88826904z

vCash
    I am so stoked about how last night went. It has through and through reignited my love for this game.

Just my 2 cents on the 7 broadcast: It certainly seemed to be a much lower budget affair than what Fox Sports normally produce, however it was significantly more entertaining. None of the BS and false drama the Fox commentators normally try to inject in to the games. It was just good old fashion comentating with some genuinely funny banter. Also seemed to be less ads than you normally see on Fox.

vCash
    Yeah beaver, just looking at the replay, it's hilarious, quite charming. Theres a lot to be said about being genuine

I'd also like to add congratulations to Sir and the assistants, they actually participated in the game rather than being disinterested, and Sir didn't stamp his personality on the contest like some other narcissist we have had to put up with. Contributors to the spectacle.

Last edited by sittingbison; 05-05-18 at 14:45.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    When I arrived I wanted to buy a program, mainly to see the names of new players but I couldn't see any program sellers. Or am I more blind than I thought I was?

vCash
    Thought the same.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Someone said in one thread (not sure where) that they ran out of time to produce the programme. Hopefully they can get some for next week.

Am watching a replay now, and I apologise to Iona - he's actually getting well involved, and has hit quite a few rucks.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Western Force were the only Australian team to win this weekend

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast