Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheerleaders.....finally!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cheerleaders.....finally!!

My Pilates Instructor has just told me that her Dance Class will be part of World Series Rugby matches. The same group that does Wildcats matches.

Live Bands, now Cheerleaders, how exciting

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Wow when you think how short a time they had to organise this it's amazing what they have done! A full house to see it as well. Toyota involved, televised on Fox and hopefully free to air. it's going to be pretty special! 😁

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Name:  images (2).jpeg
Views: 1206
Size:  9.1 KB

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Cheap, sexist and tacky in my view.

But each to his own.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Cheap, sexist and tacky in my view.

But each to his own.
    You do understand that these ladies & potentially gents aren't being forced to be cheerleaders right? They actually like doing it yeah? It isn't like we are trafficking people from the deepest darkest Africa to dance for our entertainment.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    My Pilates Instructor has just told me that her Dance Class will be part of World Series Rugby matches. The same group that does Wildcats matches.

Live Bands, now Cheerleaders, how exciting
    I am now going to spend a sleepless night trying to get the vision of TIF in Lycra out of my head.

Thanks for the nightmares......

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    You do understand that these ladies & potentially gents aren't being forced to be cheerleaders right? They actually like doing it yeah? It isn't like we are trafficking people from the deepest darkest Africa to dance for our entertainment.

And how does that change the activity from being cheap, sexist and tacky?

Watch it by all means, if that gives you your jollies, but don't try to pretend that because something is done voluntarily or for money by the actor, that of itself morally or socially justifies it. I don't appreciate the spectacle of in the main pre-pubescent children trying to be what they are not.

I have my boundaries, just as you no doubt have yours.

vCash
    Idk, cheerleading has become quiet the competitive sport these days. There are over 1.5 million all star cheerleaders in the US alone (its still a growing sport in Australia with around 45000 registered All-star cheerleaders). I think you will find not many of them find their sport cheap, tacky or sexist.

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Player
    vCash
    Some of these WA cheer leading groups are in the US as we speak competing in an international competition.
    They enjoy it. To them it’s a sport. Their purposes at a game level is to entertain through athleticism.

I’m not a fan of cheerleadering by the way. I appreciate that others are, but I wouldn’t say it’s sexist or tacky. It is another form of entertainment and will add to the atmosphere.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Nothing wrong with a dance troupe of 16 to 30 year olds doing what they like to do, entertaining crowds. They do it exceptionally well in the breaks in play in the WildCats games and will do the same tomorrow night. Cheerleading/professional choreographed Dance groups have moved on from the days of the perverted expectations of being sexualised or the need to flash too much skin. They are there to add to the whole experience, something that has been lacking from rugby in recent times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    And how does that change the activity from being cheap, sexist and tacky?

Watch it by all means, if that gives you your jollies, but don't try to pretend that because something is done voluntarily or for money by the actor, that of itself morally or socially justifies it. I don't appreciate the spectacle of in the main pre-pubescent children trying to be what they are not.

I have my boundaries, just as you no doubt have yours.
    Seeing the uniforms of the Wildcats cheerleaders, and making the assumption that they will be wearing similar for the Force, they will probably have less on show than the blue man (and occasionally woman) group we had in previous years. Those skinsuits were too tight for some of them!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Seeing the uniforms of the Wildcats cheerleaders, and making the assumption that they will be wearing similar for the Force, they will probably have less on show than the blue man (and occasionally woman) group we had in previous years. Those skinsuits were too tight for some of them!
    One size fits all Sheikh

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy View Post
    Idk, cheerleading has become quiet the competitive sport these days. There are over 1.5 million all star cheerleaders in the US alone (its still a growing sport in Australia with around 45000 registered All-star cheerleaders). I think you will find not many of them find their sport cheap, tacky or sexist.
    However, part of that is to do with Title IX in America. That law aimed to close a loophole of the Civil Rights Act which exempted educational institutions from equality. American colleges spend significant sums on their sports departments (IIRC, in over 3/4 of all states the highest paid government employee is the head coach of the state football or basketball team) but used to spend comparatively little on female sports.

The application of Title IX encouraged increased spending on female sports; via another loophole cheerleading, which wasn't really competitive before then, was then made a sport and the funding for the cheerleading squad fell under 'female sports'. There is anecdotal evidence that the cheerleading squad's budget includes hire of the field (from the men's football squad), and the cost of throwing victory parties.

Mind you, Title IX has massively increased female participation in college sports (and not just cheerleading) by a factor of 5-10! One soccer player was complaining that when she graduated and moved from the 'amateur' college game to the professional game she'd effectively have to take a pay cut as her college scholarship was far greater than the rookie contract she'd be signing.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    This brings back memories. Anyone else miss Jess?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This brings back memories. Anyone else miss Jess?
    Jaysus! First Lonzy reappears; now Badger. Maybe we will see Jess soon. But I doubt there will be anything objectionable tomorrow night.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast