Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Forrest's World Series Rugby dream starts Friday, but can it work?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Lets hope so..

It would be absolutely hillarious to see Perth with a population of less than 2 million people dwarf the recent crowds of our two biggest cities. Melbournes pathetic 5500 turnout and Sydney's humiliating crowd vs the lions (what was it? a crowd of 6000 or so against last years super rugby finalists.. pathetically pathetic)
    Go the Force
    Save it for the game
    Be interesting to see what crowd they get at Brookie for Tahs v Blues with all the hype about potentially breaking the kiwi hoodoo, plus Brookie is right in the heartland of Northern Suburbs Rugby with Eastwood, Gordon, Manly, Northern Suburbs and Warringah (5 of the 11 remaining SS teams) all in close proximity.

My guess is less than 5,000.

They will be blaming the ground surface for poor attendance no doubt.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Be interesting to see what crowd they get at Brookie for Tahs v Blues with all the hype about potentially breaking the kiwi hoodoo, plus Brookie is right in the heartland of Northern Suburbs Rugby with Eastwood, Gordon, Manly, Northern Suburbs and Warringah (5 of the 11 remaining SS teams) all in close proximity.

My guess is less than 5,000.

They will be blaming the ground surface for poor attendance no doubt.
    So 1000 people for every million in the state... rugby is about to die there

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So 1000 people for every million in the state... rugby is about to die there
    Call it 1 in 1000, it makes your point clearer

C'mon the

vCash
    Especially since a crowd of 20000 would make it about 1 in 130 for WSR!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Especially since a crowd of 20000 would make it about 1 in 130 for WSR!
    Yep a little detail the RA always seemed to forget when criticizing the Force. The Force was always based in an AFL state with a significantly smaller population than the major east coast cities and still outperformed them all per head of population.

I really wonder what Clynes spreadsheet looked like!!

vCash
    More like there wasn't one.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Found it

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    I found the spreadsheet too! It was written in a very, very, very big font (a huge font). But when I reduced the font I was able to read it. I've copied it here below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    http://www.afr.com/business/sport/an...0180427-h0zd30

Andrew Forrest has two things going for him when it come to his quest to relaunch the Western Force rugby union team as part of wider push of the sport across Asia: money and supreme confidence.
    "
    I spotted another of Twiggy's small projects recently.

Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest's Minderoo Group to build one of Australia's biggest oyster farms
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Print
    Mail
    Other share options
    ABC Rural
    By Michelle Stanley

Posted 11 April 2018 at 4:25 am
    Oysters on a plate with lemon
    It is believed an oyster farm along a 60-kilometre stretch of Western Australia's coastline could be one of Australia's biggest, producing more oysters than Tasmania's entire industry. (ABC News: Gregor Salmon)
    An oyster farm with the potential to produce as much as Tasmania's entire industry could soon be built off the Western Australian coast.

Mining billionaire Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest has plans to construct the farm along a 60 kilometre stretch of world heritage protected coastline near Carnarvon, 900 kilometres north of Perth.

But there are fears that such an ambitious project could be detrimental to Australia's $100 million edible oyster industry by flooding the market.

Forrest branched out in 2017 from mining and cattle production into horticulture, but this will be his Minderoo Group's first foray into seafood production.

The group's John Hartman said the development had the potential to rival the east coast's industry.

"We think there's potential for a really significant industry to grow here," Mr Hartman said.

"Western Australia is under-represented compared to some of the other states in Australia when it comes to aquaculture and we want to see that change."

Industry cautious of sizeable plans
    Oyster farmers across Australia were intrigued by Minderoo's plans, but also concerned the local market could be flooded and prices driven down.

The managing director of Tas Prime Oysters, James Calvert, said Australia was yet to see such a large oyster development.

"My farm's only 20-odd hectares and we cover probably two kilometres, so the potential is quite huge," Mr Calvert said.

"That one farm could produce potentially as much as what Tasmania's doing on its own.

"That much volume coming onto the domestic market could be a challenge.

"But I suppose for an operation like that, they'd be looking for exports — that's where their future would be for sure."

Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest stands in front of the upside-down weir he has developed beneath the Ashburton River on Minderoo
    Andrew Forrest's Minderoo Group is looking to build one of Australia's largest oyster farms off the WA coast. (ABC: Robert Koenigluck)
    Mr Hartman said if an initial trial was successful, the group would be looking to supply oysters across Australia and into Asia.

"Whether it's creating an 'Oyster Shack' or a 'Shellar Door' — as I've heard someone say, where people can stop in ... and enjoy some of the local oysters at a reasonable price," he said.

"We're also really confident in the market in some of our close-by Asian neighbours like Hong Kong, Singapore, and China."

A two-year trial is expected to begin in late 2018, after environmental approvals are given.

Oysters Australia president, Bruce Zippell, believed such trials would be vital before committing to any large-scale production.

"Those trials not only include whether or not the oyster would grow, condition, survive in those situations under significant quantities," he said.

"In reality, is the area productive enough to carry a high level of production given that ... in many estuaries or bays, a matter of a kilometre can make a big difference to the productivity of a site?"

Boost for local economy
    Carnarvon locals hoped the oyster farm would be an activator for economic activity in the region.

And Mr Hartman was positive it would create employment and tourism opportunities.

"Our intention is for all the processing, and certainly the growing out, to be happening in Carnarvon," he said.

"It's a really good catalyst to give Carnarvon a bit of a kick start and drive people to come back into the town."

vCash
    Big thank you to all at Minderoo for your fantastic efforts to maintain professional rugby in WA.

Really enjoyed posting this on The Roar in Brett McKay’s, Super Rugby Round 12: who’s the second ‘A’ in SANZAAR, again?

Couldn’t help but support Ex force fan who’s been fighting the good fight on our behalf.
    Ex force fan’s comment was: The biggest upset this weekend; the largest Aussie crowd this season will watch the team play that was axed. Sure thing: roar reporters will continue to ignore the biggest upset of the weekend.

My post as follows:

The popular view on The Roar was/is “TELL TWIGGY HE’S DREAMIN”

But what’s been achieved since 12 January 2018??
    + Financial rescue of RugbyWA
    + Support of RugbyRoos program
    + Financial support of the Future Force Foundation
    + Sponsorship of Club Rugby competition. (Fortescue Premier Grade and others).
    + Establishment of new player roster for Western Force (More still to come)
    + New coaching panel (Tim Sampson, Van Humphries & Jaques Fourie + Matt Hodgson)
    + International and local fixture (all at home)
    + Referees from International Rugby panel.
    + Playing in Mauritius 10s in June
    + Foxtel, FTA and WWW coverage of games
    + New rules sanctioned by World Rugby
    + Wallaby eligibility for Western Force players
    + Entirely new sponsor list (great support from WA business and individuals)
    + Total match day experience for fans at nib (including Wolfmother)
    + Sellout crowd at nib Stadium. Biggest crowd for non-Test Rugby Union game in Oz in over 2 years.
    + More to come from WSR in 2019 as 2018 is only an interim year.

(Did I forget anything?????)

AND ALL OF THIS WITHOUT A MODICUM OF SUPPORT – BUT PLENTY OF PROCRASTINATION & OBFUSCATION – BY RUGBY AUSTRALIA.

Where was all of this support before?

RugbyWA /Western Force had actually trusted ARU/RA to provide the same support that it had provided most other franchises (and only a small fraction that it had, and still is, making available to the financial black hole known as the Melbourne Rebels.

RugbyWA/Western Force actually trusted the ARU/RA when it offered what was presented as the new arrangements for Aussie franchises.

WA is now really pi$$ed off as initially shown by its support for the “Own The Force” initiative.

Bye bye Super Rugby.
    Hello WSR.

PS Big thanks to Minderoo for giving us back a real development pathway for Rugby Union players in WA.

(Predictably TWAS is already doing his normal thing. Evidently we've/I've created a "fictional siege mentality". )

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    One thing is for certain...the second "A" in SNZAAFU is not from WA

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion
    vCash
    Nobody gives a flying frock what the TWASSER thinks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    [SIZE=4](Predictably TWAS is already doing his normal thing. Evidently we've/I've created a "fictional siege mentality". )
    I won't post it on there because I'm over toying with those tossers, but our "Fictional siege mentality" is the only thing in Australia that has generated "actual ticket sales" so even if it were true, I wouldn't think it's a bad thing!

is 20,000 higher that any recent test matches? I'd be pretty confident to say that but don't have facts at hand to confirm it.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I won't post it on there because I'm over toying with those tossers, but our "Fictional siege mentality" is the only thing in Australia that has generated "actual ticket sales" so even if it were true, I wouldn't think it's a bad thing!

is 20,000 higher that any recent test matches? I'd be pretty confident to say that but don't have facts at hand to confirm it.
    Higher than Wallabies in Perth, Canberra and Melbourne.

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/events_all.php?a=view

vCash
    I thought so

C'mon the

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast