Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Captain for 2018

Senior Player
    vCash

Force Captain for 2018

New captain Ian Prior excited to lead fresh Western Force culture
    Nick Taylor | The West Australian
    Saturday, 21 April 2018 2:00AM

New Western Force captain Ian Prior faces a unique set of challenges, leading the resurrected side into World Series Rugby.

But scrum-half Prior, who was at the Force for four years before it was cut from Super Rugby, is looking forward to moulding a new group of players into a new side.

“We’ve got guys coming from here, there, everywhere. We’ve got a core group who were here previously, we’ve got a lot of new exciting guys coming from overseas and guys starting their professional career,” Prior said.

“It’s going to be exciting, getting cohesion, being where we want to be as a team and an organisation, creating a new culture.

“We’ve got guys who are hungry and want to prove themselves. We want to be bold as a team, play off our rules with a new set of values and ideas.

“We have a blank canvas. We can do things the way we want to do them, the way people have always envisaged doing them, without the politics surrounding professional rugby.

The WA rugby union team was axed from Super Rugby series six months ago.
    “The Force is close to my heart after what happened and it will be pretty surreal to lead the boys out in the first game. I get chills down my spine just thinking about it.

“It’s a huge opportunity, a huge honour, a huge privilege and a big responsibility but I won’t expect anything from others that I don’t expect from myself.”

Prior has big boots to fill, taking over from Matt Hodgson who became the face of the Force as it headed towards the Rugby Australia guillotine last season.

“I have a massive amount of respect for Hodgo and having a guy with that kind of experience and wisdom to lean on will be great,” Prior said.

Coach Tim Sampson said: “We’ve spoken as a group about having a hard edge and being humble. They are something that we must have in that captaincy role.

“The other guys have respect from Ian, he demands high standards and he has been a part of the Force previously. That is important for the coaching staff, to have a close relationship with someone who knows the place really well.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88812510z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Extremely pleased with Ian's appointment.

A very solid contributor on and off the field.

Not a flashy player but the team always plays better when he's on the field.

Was impressed with the way that he immediately had respect with a quality outfit like the Harlequins during his 14 week stint.

Should work well the new player group and the coaching team.

GO SITCHIE - GO THE WESTERN FORCE!!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 23-04-18 at 04:00.

vCash
    Great appointment! All the best Ian - I know you will do us all very proud 👍🏼

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quite a surprising choice for mine. I would think Louwrens is our best scrumhalf when fit, so we'd end up with our captain on the bench for most of the game or our best scrumhalf on the bench for most of the game to keep our captain on the field??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Quite a surprising choice for mine. I would think Louwrens is our best scrumhalf when fit, so we'd end up with our captain on the bench for most of the game or our best scrumhalf on the bench for most of the game to keep our captain on the field??
    Would this not indicate him making the permanent switch to fly half then?

vCash
    It will be interesting to find out the mix of the rest of the leadership group.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Would this not indicate him making the permanent switch to fly half then?
    He played at 10 for Soaks yesterday, and did well. I think he played in that position for Quins too, no?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Wasn't he playing 10 last year for the Force after Jono Lance picked up an injury? (Ahead of Grant, although that may have been because of use of the subs bench.)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He played at 10 for Soaks yesterday, and did well. I think he played in that position for Quins too, no?
    Not that I see many AP matches given that Danny Care is the starting Quins half back and Dmitri Catrikillis is out with a horrific injury at flyhalf you would think that would have been the case.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Played well as a 10, and made a difference to the Soaks' backline. His kicking, however.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Played well as a 10, and made a difference to the Soaks' backline. His kicking, however.....
    He was unusually "off" with his shots on goal (as he's been one of WF's best) but his positional kicking was excellent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    If I hear this right the Leadership Group - in addition to Captain Ian Prior ("Sitchie") is:

Brad Lacey ("Lace"), Marcelle Brachie ("Marcie"), Harry Scoble ("Harry"), Tevin Nevis ("Tev") and Johan Bardoul ("Yogi").

vCash
    If so, that's good news. Lackey never seemed to get a genuine crack at the old force Marcel was one of my favourites for his attitude and scobles career was Promising but short lived.

A couple of new boys in there. It would have been nice to see Kiran there as a returner, but happy with that group.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It would have been nice to see Kiran there as a returner, but happy with that group.
    As far as I know Kieran isn't even back in country at this stage - and maybe only just before the Fiji game.

His time will come......

Farewell, Kieran!- Saracens Website - 16 April 2018

Kieran Longbottom made his final appearance for Saracens during Sunday’s win over Bath.

The Australian front rower came off the bench for his 14th appearance for the Men in Black across two spells.

He first joined the club in 2014 from Super Rugby franchise Western Force before a season at Sale Sharks.

Longbottom returned at the beginning of the season and has featured eight times in all competitions.

The 32-year-old will now head home and play his rugby with the Force.

“I just want to thank everyone in this amazing,” Longbottom said on Instagram.

“This club is just unbelievable and it’s the incredible people that create the culture that make the club so awesome.

“I’ve learnt so much in my time here and I can’t wait to take that knowledge forward.

“They looked after me throughout the whole time when I was injured and gave me another chance when I wasn’t.

“Amazing people, amazing club, Sarries fan for life #thankyou.”

Everyone at the club would like to wish Kieran all the best for the future and thank him for his contribution during his time at Allianz Park!

https://www.saracens.com/news-article/farewell-kieran

Last edited by andrewg; 23-04-18 at 10:47.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast