Thread: Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium to host a full round of NRL across four days in 2019

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium to host a full round of NRL across four days in 2019

April 13, 2018 7:48AM

THE Suncorp Stadium double-header is set to be upsized.

Replicating the Super League ‘Magic Weekend’ that has been part of the rugby league calendar in Great Britain since 2007, all 16 teams will feature in eight games of an NRL round to be played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium across four days.

According to a report by Channel Seven, the NRL are set to schedule the historic round in May next year, taking the place of the double-header that will be played for a third straight year in Round 10 having drawn more than 95,000 fans the past two years.

Some 150,000 supporters could flood through the Suncorp Stadium gates across the four days, former Broncos and Queensland great Trevor Gillmeister seeing it as a reward to Queensland’s loyal rugby league fanbase.

“I think it’s a sensational idea and people will turn up in their droves,” Gillmeister told Channel Seven.

“It’s a reward for the amount of times they turn up to Broncos games and State of Origin games.”

When the NRL Grand Final was locked into Sydney until 2042, the Queensland Government turned its attention to the ‘Magic Week’ concept with economic benefits estimated at close to $20 million.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...7103e96546aed6

So there you have it, some massive headline news from Cricket, AFL and now Rugby League all in one day. I only wish the big news story for rugby was about ASIC or some deciphering of the Annual Report.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Replicating the Super League ‘Magic Weekend’ that has been part of the rugby league calendar in Great Britain since 2007, all 16 teams will feature in eight games of an NRL round to be played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium across four days.

According to a report by Channel Seven, the NRL are set to schedule the historic round in May next year, taking the place of the double-header that will be played for a third straight year in Round 10 having drawn more than 95,000 fans the past two years.
    And where will that leave NRL matches in Perth in 2019, I wonder?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Pretty sure we have an Origin match in 2019 and I'm sure there will be other home and away matches as well. The NRL have not given up on WA like RA have. This is just one round in May and I expect has something to do with ground redevelopment in Sydney too.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So there you have it, some massive headline news from Cricket, AFL and now Rugby League all in one day. I only wish the big news story for rugby was about ASIC or some deciphering of the Annual Report.
    Or anything at all. There are more ads on fta about lawn bowls than anything the rats arse are peddling. They seem to have a do nothing strategy

C'mon the

vCash
    I wonder what the Reds are thinking about the NRL scheduling eight games of league over a weekend on a ground that has had pitch issues previously...

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Should still get one at least I reckon. The Fox League crew were praising Auckland for attracting 27000 to last weeks DHeader which included the undefeated Warriors so our 39000 should leave the bean counters impressed.

BTW the big weekend mentioned in England will feature the Championship leading Toronto Wolfpack who look well on track for promotion to Super League after an undefeated run in League 1 last year. Theyll play 2nd plpaced Toulouse Olympique That's how you support expansion teams.

Last edited by shasta; 14-04-18 at 12:19.

vCash
    I reckon this should have been tried at Stadium Australia instead, Brisbane seems an oddish choice. Hell, they could have made an event of this and taken it to Adelaide Oval; the Crow-Eaters know how to throw a party/festival.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?