Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New signing Jaque Fourie backs Western Force to bounce back

Champion
    vCash

New signing Jaque Fourie backs Western Force to bounce back

Good story here. I like what I reading. Can't wait.

Nick Taylor | The West Australian
    Friday, 23 March 2018 9:00PM

Western Force big name signing, World Cup winning Springbok Jaque Fourie, believes his new club will return bigger and stronger in World Series Rugby after its axing from Super Rugby.
    The respected 72-Test centre compares the reborn Force to South African Super side Lions that has been through two major upheavals.
    The Lions were part of a failed merger with the Cheetahs to form the Cats in Super 12 and in 2013 were relegated for a season when SARU replaced them with the Kings.
    “The Lions survived all that and look how strong they are now,” said Fourie, who played 68 of his 98 Super games for the Johannesburg-based club.
    “The Western Force can follow the same route. Who knows what will happen in two years’ time.”
    Fourie believes mining magnate Andrew Forrest’s WSR will become a leader in the game that is need of an urgent shake-up - and that could come in 2020 when the current Super Rugby broadcast deals end.

More here

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...-ng-b88784578z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    “The Western Force can follow the same route. Who knows what will happen in two years’ time.”

Always the constant reference back to SR though. I really hope Forrest has extremely deep pockets, because I can't see anyone in Asia-Pacific investing in a temporary measure that has the sole purpose of getting the Force another go. Why would they bother getting involved with it...no-one seems to knows what will happen in two years’ time, but everyone is clearly hoping something will to render WSR irrelevant....

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post

Always the constant reference back to SR though. I really hope Forrest has extremely deep pockets, because I can't see anyone in Asia-Pacific investing in a temporary measure that has the sole purpose of getting the Force another go. Why would they bother getting involved with it...no-one seems to knows what will happen in two years’ time, but everyone is clearly hoping something will to render WSR irrelevant....
    Reading the whole story I don't think e is talking about a return to Super Rugby. I get the impression he is saying they will be back bigger and better in a new competition.

vCash
    Yeah, I'd really like to see the new comp take off. There was talk years ago of the Japanese Top-League expanding, maybe the WSR can become the overseas conference of a new Japanese version of Major League Rugby? A Japanese company conference and an Asia-Pacific franchise conference with a crossover series for the top teams, then play-offs and a final?

Oops, there's that horrible word again, "conference"

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Reading the whole story I don't think e is talking about a return to Super Rugby. I get the impression he is saying they will be back bigger and better in a new competition.
    The full quote was:
    The Lions were part of a failed merger with the Cheetahs to form the Cats in Super 12 and in 2013 were relegated for a season when SARU replaced them with the Kings.
    “The Lions survived all that and look how strong they are now,” said Fourie, who played 68 of his 98 Super games for the Johannesburg-based club.

He is specifically talking about a team being kicked out of SR, getting back in and now being stronger than ever...

vCash
    That's true, but there is also the obvious possibility that super rugby will be dead in 2 years time and sanzaar will come looking for admission.

Twiggy should be pushing that line with potential partners

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Actually, if that were the line it would be "Super rugby will be dead in 2 years time, just think how many cheap players that would make available to join you and develop your programs and systems".

I'm not sure any of the Asian teams would view the prospect of the Chiefs et al joining the comp and pushing them out as any better.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    You have to think that the next Super Rugby TV Deal is going to be a shock to SANZAAR.

Why would FoxSports and their counterparts around the world pay big money for a competition that no one watches?

South African participation has been reduced, As has Australian.

FoxSports cant even be bothered to promote it.

I think that Rugby Australia are going to have some serious financial problems - well further problems - when they discover that their cut of the Super Rugby broadcast rights has been reduced.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'm not into how these things work, but if the new TV deal runs to the end of 2020, then you'd expect initial negotiations to start next year. RA should discover a ballpark for how much the new TV deal is worth, and realise that their share will decrease.

They've been insulated by receiving 5 shares (presumably from 18 - did SA keep their shares for the Cheetahs and Kings?) of the current money but that would presumably be cut to 4 shares.

So they'll be getting a smaller slice of a smaller pie. Hmm, they'll be lots of money left for grassroots rugby!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'm not into how these things work, but if the new TV deal runs to the end of 2020, then you'd expect initial negotiations to start next year. RA should discover a ballpark for how much the new TV deal is worth, and realise that their share will decrease.

They've been insulated by receiving 5 shares (presumably from 18 - did SA keep their shares for the Cheetahs and Kings?) of the current money but that would presumably be cut to 4 shares. The

So they'll be getting a smaller slice of a smaller pie. Hmm, they'll be lots of money left for grassroots rugby!
    You’ve forgotten how much they are going to earn through all the Melbourne fans who are going to discover their monumental passion for rugby union!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    The financials haven't changed despite kicking out sides. It will definitely under the next deal if Sanzaar and Super Rugby are still around.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    I guess that depends how much money japan and Argentina are willing to throw at sanzaar to ensure they retain their undeserved places

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    I think that we really need to get behind a conference based system. There are too many teams and too many timezones to not have one.

Hear me out - WSR would have none of the old teams that we are used to playing in round robin, so there is no want to play against them, we play our local teams - where ever they are, then the top half, or whatever, move into a inter-conference comp/play-offs.

Importantly, if gives us a chance to expand the competition as needed, without the slotting in teams into an existing competition, or putting is shite timezones...

Either way, im looking forward to WSR, though i am worried about the quality of rugby to be played there...

vCash
    There won't be enough teams to start with to go down that road. Twiggy is looking at a 6 team comp to start with.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I think that we really need to get behind a conference based system. There are too many teams and too many timezones to not have one.
    Done properly, conferences work really well. All the major sports in the US use them to some extent. The way SANZAAR uses them to prop up mediocre teams in unbalanced conferences is the problem.

The best way to use a conference system is to crown a champion in each conference, meaning conference games are actually important and then have an elimination series between the best teams in the conferences. Some US leagues (eg NFL) allow a wildcard entry into their playoffs, but even that is though a match between teams in different conferences. (NFL has 2 divisions of 3 conferences each so it's second in the conference playing off for a wildcard spot)

All this eliminates the hassle of having teams artificially inflated in the rankings by missing out on playing the better teams in the other conferences, they don't make the playoffs due to the fact that they have to play a team from the other conference to qualify.

If you wanted to fix conferences in SuperDuperRugby, you would rewrite the finals series to include 6 teams, the first team in each conference and the winners of a finals elimination match series where 2nd in each conference plays 3rd in another conference. That way, if New Zealand teams are as good as they say they are, they can get 3 teams in a 6 team finals series and stop whingeing.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast