Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New signing Jaque Fourie backs Western Force to bounce back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Done properly, conferences work really well. All the major sports in the US use them to some extent. The way SANZAAR uses them to prop up mediocre teams in unbalanced conferences is the problem.

The best way to use a conference system is to crown a champion in each conference, meaning conference games are actually important and then have an elimination series between the best teams in the conferences. Some US leagues (eg NFL) allow a wildcard entry into their playoffs, but even that is though a match between teams in different conferences. (NFL has 2 divisions of 3 conferences each so it's second in the conference playing off for a wildcard spot)

All this eliminates the hassle of having teams artificially inflated in the rankings by missing out on playing the better teams in the other conferences, they don't make the playoffs due to the fact that they have to play a team from the other conference to qualify.

If you wanted to fix conferences in SuperDuperRugby, you would rewrite the finals series to include 6 teams, the first team in each conference and the winners of a finals elimination match series where 2nd in each conference plays 3rd in another conference. That way, if New Zealand teams are as good as they say they are, they can get 3 teams in a 6 team finals series and stop whingeing.
    There's unbalanced conferences in US and Canadian sports too. Teams in AFC East for example have missed out on playoffs despite having better records than teams who topped theirs. It is just typical bleating from NZers it is irrelevant that the Blues missed out despite having a better record than all of the Australian teams. They should take it up with the NZRU who signed off on it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Door Open for Youth
    Nick Taylor - PerthNow.com.au - 1 April 2018

Western Force coach Tim Sampson is confident the reborn club will create a new pathway for young, local talent.
    A dozen aspiring players were left stranded when Rugby Australia slammed the doors shut on the club and its Future Force academy last September but Sampson believes World Series Rugby will open them again.
    Sampson has begun preparing his squad for the seven-game WSR tournament against international sides Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Hong Kong, Super Rugby sides Crusaders and Rebels, and a Japanese club yet to be announced.
    Thirty players have already been contracted with about three more expected to join within weeks.
    Sampson may not have all players available for the first game against Fiji on May 4, as a couple still will be with their English clubs in the Aviva premiership.
    But he is confident he has enough strength in his squad to face one of the world’s most exciting teams.
    “I’m very happy with what we’ve got,” Sampson said.
    “There’s a really good spread of young guys, experienced guys and local players, which is really important when you are starting a new club.”
    He has also started plotting a path for Future Force academy members who may be introduced during WSR and are likely to get more game time in the National Rugby Championship.
    “I’ll sit down and meet the guys and the staff but I’ve already got an indication of some players, “ he said. “There looks to be some great prospects”.
    “It’s important to have them in training and get them to know the squad and understand what it takes to take the next step.”
    Sampson has plenty of experience in his coaching team in former Springbok centre Jaque Fourie, who will also play in WSR, and ex-Super Rugby second-rower and Wallabies squad member Van Humphries, who has spent the past two weeks with the squad.
    “The big bonus is having someone who has played in another country and who could bring something really unique to what we do,”
    “South Africans are known for their physicality and big Van played with a lot of physicality in the contact areas.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    just as an aside, can you please link to the article when copying here.

My reasons are:
    - give the kudos to the author
    - get the stats up on the sites so that they keep writing rugby articles. (so everyone still click the link!)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jaque Fourie has arrived in Perth and gave his first interview today.

Check it out on the Western Force web site

Last edited by JPR; 26-04-18 at 20:43.

Player
    vCash
    Agree Exile. Why would any broadcaster touch a game that only draws between 5500 to 16000 to a game. It will be harder to sell as a package along with international Tests. Which is really what the broadcasters want. If interest has dropped so low then how could SANZAAR justify they are worth the amount broadcasters spent on them last time.
    The sport has been failed by its administrators who have been juggling finances and demonstrating that they make it up as they go along.

vCash
    Wayne Smith said in his article today about Penrith that the Force are going to announce an All Black signing this June.

Player
    vCash
    A few articles out today- not sure how to link them to here.
    Daily telegraph- Tatafu Polota-Nau settling in at Leicester after Force heartbreak - 'Guys with young families were distraught'
    Allan Jones and Wayne Smith also have put articles out in the Australian.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    A few articles out today- not sure how to link them to here.
    Daily telegraph- Tatafu Polota-Nau settling in at Leicester after Force heartbreak - 'Guys with young families were distraught'
    Allan Jones and Wayne Smith also have put articles out in the Australian.
    Alan Jones
    4 hrs ·
    Here's my article from today's Australian Newspaper about rugby.

Pay attention to the last few paragraphs...

It is most probably unpalatable for the Board of Rugby Australia to contemplate, but the reality is, another grim weekend lies ahead for Australian Super Rugby teams.

Not only did those teams not win a game last week, but none of them at any time lead in their respective matches. Surely we can’t be that bad.

Someone has to concede that there is something chronically wrong and yet Rugby Australia is deaf to the problem and therefore indifferent to any solution.

As my readers know, I have had a lot to say on this issue.

But what is more instructive is what others are saying about what I am saying. The feedback has been overwhelming.

Almost without exception, the rugby family is angry and that is borne out by attendances. Some of the comments by leading lights are a scathing indictment of where we are and if nothing changes, and nothing so far has changed, it’s disturbing to think where the game may end up.

A former very senior official with Rugby has written to me, “as for the state of rugby, it is just abysmal. The responsibility for the appointment of a CEO, indeed in each and every business and sport, rests with the board; it’s the board’s single-most important decision. If you get it right, then enjoy the fruits of success; however, if you choose badly, the consequences are dire. Then the board/chairman must consider their position. As for the nominations committee, they seem notorious for fishing from the same gene pool. That is a real obstacle for bringing in people with the required and appropriate skills set to govern and manage this magnificent game. A closed shop, I’m sad to say!”

A dedicated Queensland rugby supporter and one of our finest and most acclaimed sporting journalists wrote to me this week: “Congratulations on your rugby column. Someone needs to breathe some sense into the sport”.

He was commenting primarily on the Israel Folau affair. But having seen the demise yet again last week of Queensland on the field, he argued, “it’s sickening to watch a once great Queensland rugby side have no idea how to play the game. And to leave out the man who used to orchestrate it! The commentators talked about the “crowd’’. That was an overstatement. Queensland rugby moved to Suncorp because Ballymore only held 20,000! Now, they wouldn’t half fill Ballymore.

“I know people must think Quade (Cooper) to be a very bad person not to be allowed around the team. They can’t imagine he’s been left right out on huge money unless there were some nefarious reasons. They roll their eyes unknowingly.”

And then with a slogan that echoes with Queensland rugby fans, he wrote, “put the Q back in Queensland and bring back Quade”.

Well, the weekend ahead doesn’t offer a lot of hope for scoreboard change. The Rebels play the Stormers, which may well offer our only hope of success; Queensland play the South African Lions, who have played nine and won six; the Brumbies play the Crusaders, who have played eight and won six. Mercifully, after a scoring wipe-out last weekend, NSW have the bye.

But it prompts a question doesn’t it?

What is being done to arrest this?

We haven’t won a game against a New Zealand province since goodness knows when. I wrote early last month that someone on the board had to recognise the mess the game was in and do something about it. And I wrote: “One of the great weaknesses of Australian rugby, certainly at provincial level, is coaching … there is no one with any coaching success that I know of who is responsible for appointing coaches.”

I have said it before. If there’s a high-performance unit in Australian rugby, it seems to be about as effective as the cricket high-performance unit. The person whom Rugby Australia appointed to develop Australian coaches is Rod Kafer. I’ve asked before and I ask again, was the job advertised? Who appointed him?

The hoopla and fanfare would have you believe he’s a great thinker of the game. That being the case, as I have said before, why did he last one season as a head coach at Saracens in England?

And he has not coached anyone to win anything in Australia. It is valid to ask, what criteria were applied in charging him with developing Australian coaches?

It seems we are prepared to address everything in relation to rugby bureaucracy but don’t know enough about the game to address the issue of rugby results. Last week, the South African Lions beat NSW 29-0.

Surely it’s valid to argue that if Australian teams are playing a poor brand of rugby and not winning, people will switch off.

In that environment, how long can the game survive? Two things emerge. We must invest in our best young players so they stay in the game and get the right people coaching them. This means we must put more players, fresh out of school, in full-time high performance environments. Find a sponsor. Save the code. If we want to grow more winners, invest in those who will make winning a habit.

I will address the Super Rugby model at a later date. Suffice to say, I do not support the current model. We should be playing in an ANZAC Super Rugby competition. Let South Africa play in Europe in their own time zone. And it is not our business to prop up Japanese and Argentinian rugby. We have to save ourselves.

Surely four or five Australian teams, playing seven or eight Kiwi teams would give us a great competition. New Zealand is strong enough to field seven or eight teams and the Force should be brought back.

Swallow your pride, Rugby Australia, along with your administrative stupidity and ask Andrew Forrest to sponsor the Force plus a National Academy. Everyone wins. The savings in travel costs and accommodation would be enormous; and we would be giving a very wealthy rugby-loving philanthropist an opportunity to change the game.

Get rid of Giteau’s law. That allows Test players with over 60 caps to play in Europe or Japan and still play for the Wallabies. It sends a mixed message to players.

If you have built a winning culture your best players will put the green and gold ahead of financial inducement. After all, the Wallabies are well paid and there should be a price to be paid for deserting Australia when they should be leading Australia.

But if you want to put the cue firmly in the rack, and highlight a symbol that surely emphatically confirms we are well down the wrong track, consider this. NSW rugby is not alone in being strapped for cash. Broke may be uncharitable but close to the truth. And so, we say, we can’t afford to keep our best schoolboy players in the game. But we’ve got money for personal gurus.

It seems that the Waratahs’ Kiwi CEO, Andrew Hore, would rather spend money on psychobabble than on developing talent. This is the organisation that could not find a full-time academy spot for Billy Smith and Charlie Rorke, our best two Australian Schoolboys from 2017. Both have gone to the NRL in full-time roles.

The Waratahs cry poor, but have money to shell out big cash on boardroom head shrink gurus.

Are you as staggered as I am, to learn that NSW have appointed an “executive coach”? Apparently his job is to “facilitate change to their development”. Not sure who or what he’s developing, but I love his observation about his role: “I am not attached to the outcomes …” Now there’s a good job!

And what about this: “The biggest thing for the Waratahs is changing their culture to one that learns from loss — I call it learning how to lose. And they didn’t understand how to do that properly ...”.

Well, forgive me. I am not a defeatist, but I am inclined to want to give up on noting this extravagant stupidity. But I suppose we should celebrate his success. If you’re going to teach people how to lose, then last week the shrink was spot on. Lions 29, Waratahs 0.

also
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...artbreak-guys/

also
    An extract from The Australian 27/04/2018 written by Wayne Smith.

Meanwhile, a club that knows all about being shut down, the Western Force, are continuing their fightback with the inaugural match of World Series Rugby to be played against Fiji at Perth’s nib Stadium next Friday. And while details are being kept a closely guarded secret, it can be revealed that the Force will announce the signing of an All Black in June.

Already the club has announced the signing of 37-cap Italian Test lock Joshua Furno. Born in Melbourne, Furno played for the Azzurri from 2012 to last year, variously representing Narbonne, Biarritz and the Newcastle Falcons, before moving to New Zealand to play for Otago in the ITM Cup.

Force coach Tim Sampson has had to fast-track his preparations and deliberately limit his game plan for the opening WSR matches against Fiji and Tonga but all indications are he will be able to fashion a highly respectable team from players left over from the Force — Peter Grant, Ian Prior, Heath Tessman, Ryan Louwrens, Marcel Brache — coupled with exciting recruits like Springbok World Cup winner Jaque Fourie, Furno, former Wallabies winger Rod Davies and prop Kieran Longbottom.

With the Wallabies permitted to draw players from the Force, Longbottom — due in Perth on the weekend after playing with Saracens in the Aviva Premiership — is precisely the player who could figure in the reckoning for Test selection this winter.

“And then we have some exciting young recruits like Fergus Lee-Warner, a lock or blindside flanker, who has really impressed since joining us from Eastern Suburbs,” Sampson said. He was unsure how strong a Fijian side his team would face next Friday

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Wayne Smith said in his article today about Penrith that the Force are going to announce an All Black signing this June.
    Conrad Smith..........

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Conrad Smith..........
    My Kiwis sauces tell me that Conrad is in player management and due to head injuries, unlikely to play again.

Corey Jane seems to be a name that has come up though.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    My Kiwis sauces tell me that Conrad is in player management and due to head injuries, unlikely to play again.

Corey Jane seems to be a name that has come up though.
    Wasnt Corey Jane close to signing with the Force once before?

vCash
    Dan Carter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Wasnt Corey Jane close to signing with the Force once before?
    Yes. The reason given for the backflip at the time was that his wife didn’t want to come here as it was too far from home.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Ryan Crotty almost signed with the Force to a couple years back. Crotty would be my guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Ryan Crotty almost signed with the Force to a couple years back. Crotty would be my guess.
    He signed a long term deal with the NZRU some time last year.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast