Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders buy into new Seattle Seawolves team

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    If true that’s not good for Austin’s Rugby scene and the comp if a team is looking at moving after two seasons. The US 7s will likely move to the new Raiders stadium in Vegas in 2020 as UNLV will move from Sam Boyd Stadium to the Raiders. That will be a test for 7s and Rugby in the area.

Houston have had a few test matches now and they are well attended. The beat Scotland in front of 25,000. That’s more than the RA get to watch the Springboks.
    Austin's Rugby scene isn't exactly backing the Elite as is. Some are openly hostile. Which could be the source of this rumour as a means of subversion on certain peoples behalf. But say if it is true they have Cashman Field in Vegas that would work out well for them. It's being reconfigured for Soccer/Rugby at present at being primarily used for Baseball up until it's previous primary resident moved to a new stadium. Nothing wrong with the facility either. Actually looks really nice. But the Baseball team didn't own it outright and weren't super happy about other sports being played there.

The other issue for Austin is that it's Rugby scene isn't all that big to start with. Two primary clubs plus UoT. Both Houston and Dallas have much larger and growing scenes. Honestly, Austin wasn't the best place for a team to start with.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I like the Seattle Jersey and that's why I jumped on the bandwagon back in November.

Didn't even realise they won the thing last year
    It was an abridged season. Only 10 regular season games. They beat Glendale in the Championship game. Both teams are somewhat struggling in the early stages so far this season. The competition stepped up their recruitment and preparation in response and at the moment they are struggling to get used to the increased levels of parity in the competition. They are still very competitive. All the games have been so far this season but where they would have been able to hit another gear and overcome their opposition last season. This season as it turns out. Their opposition has that gear as well.

vCash
    The beat Scotland in front of 25,000. That’s more than the RA get to watch the Springboks.
    And a better result than RA can expect to boot

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I like the Seattle Jersey and that's why I jumped on the bandwagon back in November.

Didn't even realise they won the thing last year
    Hmmmm. Is that bandwagon jumping or missing the boat??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Hmmmm. Is that bandwagon jumping or missing the boat??
    Probably the latter, but I like the jersey so I'll likely still buy one.

Seattle for life!

vCash
    He he. Jargs the Seattle fan man.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Can anybody find any reference to Major League Rugby in USA being sanctioned by World Rugby?

Is is possible that Major League Rugby us actually a "rebel" competition?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Can anybody find any reference to Major League Rugby in USA being sanctioned by World Rugby?

As I understand it, MLR was not officially sanctioned by USAR for the start of the 2018 season - and therefore was not sanctioned by WR either.

This, however, was not due to a lack of support from USAR. The reason was that PRO Rugby, the failed predecessor competition for professional rugger in the US, still had time remaining in their three year sanctioned agreement with USAR. Doug Schroninger, the owner of PRO, would have sued.

A link.

So MLR went ahead with all teams treated as "touring sides" (or some such malarkey) for Round 1. A "rebel" comp! The old agreement expired 20 April. Season kicked off 21 April, and USAR sanctioning was approved by vote on 26 April in time for Round 2. There was then a 90-day fine tuning period (i.e longer than the 2018 season) for the sanctioning.

I assume it was later approved by WR, as pro contracts had to be submitted to WR.

But I don't have any reference for you about that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kiap; 13-02-19 at 22:38.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WCRugger View Post
    But say if it is true they have Cashman Field in Vegas that would work out well for them. It's being reconfigured for Soccer/Rugby at present at being primarily used for Baseball up until it's previous primary resident moved to a new stadium. Nothing wrong with the facility either. Actually looks really nice. But the Baseball team didn't own it outright and weren't super happy about other sports being played there.
    I was a fan for life of that baseball team (well, for a few hours on a recovery day in Vegas). I think they were called the 51s, after the UFO secret squirrel stuff from Area 51. Still got the cap!

vCash
    Pretty sure that due to US law the national sporting governing body isn’t permitted to run their own professional league and own franchises so they have little to do with MLR. They probably sanctioned it so their registered players are insured and they would have to provide referees.

When a competition is run and features teams from one jurisdiction it doesn’t need IRB approval. With a Canadian team now in the comp Rugby Canada would have to sanction their participation then it goes to the IRB as MLR becomes a cross border comp.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    He he. Jargs the Seattle fan man.
    I've always wanted to visit the Boeing factory so I'll have to time it for Rugby season up there when I get the chance.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

No. It is not nor has ever been a 'rebel' competition. It is recognised and sanctioned by USA Rugby. The reason it launched without it wasn't due to some kind of political issues with the governing body between the the two. It was because USA Rugby had to allow for the existing sanctioning for PRO Rugby to elapse before it could make things official. The league has had the Union and WR support from day one.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    I was a fan for life of that baseball team (well, for a few hours on a recovery day in Vegas). I think they were called the 51s, after the UFO secret squirrel stuff from Area 51. Still got the cap!
    That's them. They've built (or are near completing) a brand new stadium in Summerlin.

Player
    vCash
    Pretty sure that due to US law the national sporting governing body isn’t permitted to run their own professional league and own franchises so they have little to do with MLR. They probably sanctioned it so their registered players are insured and they would have to provide referees.

When a competition is run and features teams from one jurisdiction it doesn’t need IRB approval. With a Canadian team now in the comp Rugby Canada would have to sanction their participation then it goes to the IRB as MLR becomes a cross border comp.

It has to do with an NGB (a non-profit) not being allowed to operate anything that has a profit motive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2