Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Stooke to lead discussion paper to overthrow the RA board and constitution

vCash

Geoff Stooke to lead discussion paper to overthrow the RA board and constitution

Good man that has been quiet for too long. Anthony French is another member of the RA Gestapo that needs to piss off.

Australia in box seat to host 2027 Rugby World Cup
    The Webb Ellis Cup on display during the World Cup in Japan. Picture: AFP
    The Webb Ellis Cup on display during the World Cup in Japan. Picture: AFP
    EXCLUSIVE
    WAYNE SMITH

12:00AM OCTOBER 26, 201940
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Whatsapp
    Email
    Despite enduring the fallout from arguably the Wallabies’ worst performance at a World Cup, the stars are aligning for Rugby Australia to successfully bid for the 2027 tournament.

Hosting the World Cup would provide a welcome cash injection for Rugby Australia — on top of a scheduled British and Irish Lions tour in 2025 — with downward pressure on the next TV rights deal and a looming ugly court battle with Israel Folau threatening the code’s finances.

Australia is hoping that World Rugby will follow the lead of the International Olympic Committee and award two World Cups at the same time, while ironically also ensuring tournaments do not compete with the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics and the hoped-for Brisbane Games of 2032.

With France hosting the 2023 World Cup, Australia is hoping to convince World Rugby to bring the tournament back to Australia, 40 years after it co-hosted the inaugural 1987 event with New Zealand and 24 years after its solo staging of the 2003 tournament. But its main rival is shaping up as the United States which, like the Japanese market now being tapped, is regarded as the last major market to be explored.

But given that the USA will stage the 2026 FIFA World Cup before hosting the 2028 LA Olympics, World Rugby may feel that allocating it the 2027 tournament might be straining the marketplace. In that event, Australia hopes to surf through and secure the 2027 tournament, which would also put a reasonable gap between it and the 2032 Olympics for which Brisbane currently is the frontrunner.

In April, the Federal government allocated $1 million to RA to begin serious feasibility work, which enabled it to send planners to Japan, along with government representatives, to observe the current tournament. If RA does decide to push ahead, it would need a serious commitment by the government in next year’s Federal Budget in May. Although it was beaten by New Zealand for the next women’s World Cup, Australia believes it has demonstrated its serious intent and the next step, hopefully, will be to persuade SANZAAR to support it as the southern hemisphere’s sole candidate for 2027.

Stream the Rugby World Cup 2019 on KAYO SPORTS. Every match Live & On-Demand on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Get your 14 day free trial >

Given that the 2015, 2019 and 2023 tournament all have been allocated to northern hemisphere nations, it is expected the 2027 tournament will be sent south of the equator. If World Rugby’s plan is to develop the game in the US, it could well decide to follow the same pattern it used in sending the 2015 tournament to an established market, Great Britain, while using the additional four years to prepare Japan. In that event, Australia in 2027 leading into the USA in 2031 could be ideal.

“The Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event on the globe,” said Anthony French, RA’s head of professional rugby. “It has the ability to shift the dial on a range of metrics for host nations and cities and generate significant economic return. For host unions, it not only provides financial benefit but, as we are seeing in Japan, it has the ability to inspire a whole new generations of fans and players.”

Meanwhile, Geoff Stooke, the former Australian Rugby Union director, has circulated a discussion paper calling for the voting members — principally the states and territories — to lobby for a special general meeting at which the Rugby Australia constitution could be overhauled in terms of the procedures for the nomination and election of board members.

Stooke, who resigned from the board in protest at the decision to cull the Western Force from Super Rugby in 2017, said that once the constitution had been amended “some changes being emotively proposed at present can be considered”.

This appears to be the first hint of a move to possibly topple Cameron Clyne as RA chairman.

Stooke also warned that in the event of the Folau case going badly for RA, it could affect its solvency. In that event, it could well influence the decision of directors to remain on the board and for outsiders to volunteer to become directors. In his discussion paper, Stooke said that placing a director of rugby — Scott Johnson — over Michael Cheika in the lead-up to the World Cup was “disrespectful and didn’t seem to work”. In his opinion, RA needed either to remove Cheika or support him.

“We need to find a replacement but I strongly believe we need to get our structures right before we rush in to appointing another coach,” Stooke said. “There could be board changes, there are likely to be management changes and hopefully there are constitutional changes.’’

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I want South Africa to host the 2027 World Cup after missing out to France on the 2023 tournament. If Australia get it, RA will waste all the money and all the opportunity, just like it did when the British and Irish Lions came over in 2013.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I want South Africa to host the 2027 World Cup after missing out to France on the 2023 tournament. If Australia get it, RA will waste all the money and all the opportunity, just like it did when the British and Irish Lions came over in 2013.
    Not sure if SA are going to spend another £200 million on a bid fee they can’t afford. The Morrison Government aren’t going to waste that money on the pricks ruining the game here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Not sure if SA are going to spend another £200 million on a bid fee they can’t afford. The Morrison Government aren’t going to waste that money on the pricks ruining the game here.
    The Government has already given RA $1million to get the feasibility study done.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The Government has already given RA $1million to get the feasibility study done.
    Big difference between that and handing over 200 million quid. That’s why the RA withdrew the bid last time round.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The "Feasibility Study" will be an exercise in writing a report that convinces the Morrison government that the $200 Million is a good investment

It will do so by highlighting the increase in tourism revenue and other funds flowing into the country.

Government is a business, if they can find somebody to make a credible business case for "this will make a profit for the country" they'll get the money.

Clyne would be an expert in building fantastic sounding business cases for shonky deals by now wouldn't he?

C'mon the

vCash
    HOLD IT IN JAPAN AGAIN!!!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    Lets try joining a few dots together:

- Twiggy's answer to the question of whether he would stand for chairman of RA, was that he was a busy boy, but would be barracking for others. (in the Channel 7 interview about $100K per try for Telethon.) I wondered if he and others were brewing something.

- Geoff Stooke's video appealing for a big crowd and then him handing out the medals after the game, Interesting that he was raising his profile again.

-and no current RA director was at the game. Not even Phil Waugh to hand out his own medal.

- And now Wayne Smith says Stooke ""has circulated a discussion paper calling for the voting members — principally the states and territories — to lobby for a special general meeting at which the Rugby Australia constitution could be overhauled in terms of the procedures for the nomination and election of board members.""

- I wonder if Twiggy and Geoff have some secret eastern states power brokers support for change at the RA?

- Interesting that this news is attached by Wayne Smith to the story about the World Cup bid. I imagine the government is not going to commit big money to a Rugby World Cup bid, while WA and others are still locked in a civil war with the RA to make it more democratic.

- Oh, and Twiggy said he had to knock back an invite to lunch with the Prime Minister, so he could be at the NRC grand final.

I smell smoke. Has a little fire started somewhere?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JSJ; 29-10-19 at 17:44.

vCash
    I was wondering if this mention from Wayne Smith has anything to do with the moves being coordinated by Brett Papworth late last year. Bob Dwyer, Dick Marks, Dilip Kumar were among some of the names associated with that move for a complete overall of governance. It went very quiet very quickly....sucker punch?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I am only hoping that the pressure on Clyne to f off is sustained and keeps building.

Champion
    vCash
    God I hope something will come of it but from past history until it’s in black and white I’m not get excited

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I am only hoping that the pressure on Clyne to f off is sustained and keeps building.
    Before our goverment throws $200 million at the RA, it might be good time to remind our local MPs and the Minister of Sport Richard Colbeck about the 2017 Senate Inquiry chaired by the now current Minister of Defence Linda Reynolds. Cameron Clyne was the chairman of the ARU ( now the RA) and he is still the chairman. Ask our MPs how many many of the Senators recommendations for change at the ARU (now RA) have been implemented by Mr Clyne and his board.
    https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...byunion/Report

I would love to see a another Rugby World Cup in Australia, but Mr Clyne needs to be gone and big changes made at the RA, before the government helps them with the bid.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    JSJ, a conspiracy theory worthy of myself.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    JSJ, a conspiracy theory worthy of myself.
    Fulvio, you are the guy that does not believe in the easter bunny, if I recall correctly.

vCash
    JSJ agreed. Let’s not forget that £200 million is $376 million in Aussie dollars. Far too much to be throwing at a corrupt board.

The French kicked in £220 million for 2023. Far more than Ireland and SA could manage.

Last edited by Bakkies; 30-10-19 at 04:12.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast