Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies great Michael Lynagh joins Twiggy’s Indo Pacific Rugby Championship

Senior Player
    vCash

Wallabies great Michael Lynagh joins Twiggy’s Indo Pacific Rugby Championship

Wallabies great Michael Lynagh says became so concerned with the state of Australian rugby he felt compelled to help Andrew Forrest launch the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship.
    The former Australian skipper has joined ‘Team Twiggy’ as an advisor after being introduced to the billionaire mining magnate by a mutual friend in Sydney.
    The IPRC is yet to be approved by Rugby Australia but the parties are deep in negotiation and it is hoped a deal can be signed off soon.
    World Rugby can then sanction the six-team tournament, which plans to kick off in March 2019, with Lynagh to update international officials on progress this week.
    Forrest initially wanted to present his vision at a World Rugby board meeting on November 14. He has grand visions for the concept, believing it can significantly boost the footprint of rugby in Australia and throughout the Indo Pacific region.
    Lynagh, who played 72 Tests for the Wallabies between 1984 and 1995 and helped them win the 1991 World Cup, now works as London-based managing director of Dow Jones.
    However says he became a “concerned Australian rugby citizen” following the axing of the Western Force.
    “I was fairly distressed by it all ... I was quite disturbed and worried,“ Lynagh said.
    “Then reading about what Andrew was trying to do... I just liked what he was doing. That’s where my support for it came out.”
    Seasonal weather conditions in Asia mean the IPRC is likely to happen between March and June when Super Rugby is also played.
    Rugby Australia say they will only support the competition if it doesn’t affect the integrity of Super Rugby, suggesting its best players are unlikely to be given permission to play.
    Lynagh is adamant the IPRC won’t “cannibalise” Super Rugby and will in fact help lure some of Australia’s finest overseas-based players home.
    It is also hoped a host of stars from other countries will flock to join.
    The competition will feature one Australian side - the Western Force. The other five teams for the inaugural season are to be decided but Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Fiji, Colombo, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and Seoul are in the running.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88656258z

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Much rather have Noddy onboard than that fool Nobody who has all those regrets ie Turning his back on the Haka and killing off 20% of Professional Rugby in Australia.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    that is a ringing endorsement from on of the greats, the more big names we get moving to support it the more likely the Joe public will embrace it... would be great to get folks like Campese, Roff and Mortlock to come out and give their thumbs up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Much rather have Noddy onboard than that fool Nobody who has all those regrets ie Turning his back on the Haka and killing off 20% of Professional Rugby in Australia.
    You only listed one regret Blue

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    My mistake Gigs, he probably doesn't regret screwing ova professional rugby players.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wonder what's happened to his halves partner. NF-J was on record as very much opposed to axing WA and was trying to facilitate a move into Asia. He'd be handy to have on board.

....tick....tick....tick.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    So is World Rugby not going to consider this on 14 Nov as first thought? If so, is that because Rat’s Arse are dragging their feet on endorsing the revised time period?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    What’s with the saying twiggy initially wanted to present on the 14th. Has this time frame changed now?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wonder what's happened to his halves partner. NF-J was on record as very much opposed to axing WA and was trying to facilitate a move into Asia. He'd be handy to have on board.

....tick....tick....tick.
    Shasta, thats an interesting one! I imagine Twiggy might be able to find something in the budget to get NFJ over onto the team. Apart from axing the Force, I think NFJ had a number of other criticisms on the ARU.

vCash
    I could care less what Mortlock does

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    Shasta, thats an interesting one! I imagine Twiggy might be able to find something in the budget to get NFJ over onto the team. Apart from axing the Force, I think NFJ had a number of other criticisms on the ARU.
    Sure did. Mainly along the lines of how futile it is to try to "shrink to success" by abandoning such a fertile breeding ground. I'm a little surprised that nobody has blasted him over the helping Jim Williams out bit. That was the tick tick bit I was waiting for. That was obviously a big mistake. But he fessed up and made it good. Can't do more than that.
    I think a lot of the "luminaries" who were agitating for scrapping at least one team have come to quite a different view after it became obvious how many quality players were coming through WA pathways. Maybe even Brett Papworth, who knows. The more of them that back IPRC the more isolated the Rat's Arse pack look.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    And just quietly, Nick the Treasurer may be a great lunch speaker, but I feel the need to draw the line and if you're in one tent you aren't in my tent.

and then there's this:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...2c9df4c0fbaf01

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

Player
    vCash
    Thats good news, I've always been a fan of Michael Lynagh

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    And just quietly, Nick the Treasurer may be a great lunch speaker, but I feel the need to draw the line and if you're in one tent you aren't in my tent.

and then there's this:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...2c9df4c0fbaf01
    Hi Lou. This is hidden behind a paywall. Whats the general gist of the article?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I could care less what Mortlock does
    thought he was the Rebels darling in their early years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast