Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hodgson confident ARU will back Indo Pacific Rugby Championship

Player
    vCash
    My technology skills are poor at best but tried!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    New-look Force on verge of signings
    The West Australian13 Jan 2018Nick Taylor
    Picture: Getty Images
    Pek Cowan
    The new Western Force will recruit high-profile players for both their National Rugby and Indo Pacific Championship teams.
    A hit list of signings has been drawn up as mining billionaire Andrew Forrest’s IPRC management team moves into Perth’s Rugby HQ on Monday.
    The NRC side will change its name from Perth Spirit to Western Force after the name was sold back to RugbyWA by Rugby Australia when it cleared voluntary administration.
    A number of ex-Force Super Rugby players including former internationals, prop Pek Cowan and fly-half Peter Grant, along with back-rower Brynard Stander, scrum-half Ryan Louwrens, hooker Heath Tessmann and utility back Marcel Brache, are expected to be available.
    Players who have been left without Super Rugby contracts from other clubs for the coming season are also on the wish list.
    It is hoped home-grown players who were forced to join other Super clubs when the Force was axed will be given permission to return for the NRC competition. The squad will also contain members of the Future Force academy that has received hefty funding from Forrest and local clubs.
    Discussions are under way for games against sides including a Pacific Islands team at Auckland’s Eden Park, invitational outfit the Asia Pacific Dragons and other overseas clubs starting in April. Home games will likely be played at nib Stadium.
    The Force are also looking to take part in the World Club 10s in Mauritius.
    Meanwhile, Forrest’s IPRC management team will re-open discussions with Rugby Australia, now led by new chief executive Raelene Castle, after they hit a roadblock when RA hit him with a series of “uncommercial demands”.
    Forrest plans to launch his competition in March next year but RA issued four pages of demands they want met before giving the endorsement needed to get World Rugby approval.
    A big stumbling block is RA’s refusal to allow Wallabies eligibility for players joining the new competition.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Better?

vCash
    Yes - thanks Mothy

With Clyne and the cabal still at the helm, I don’t see how a new CEO at the ARU will make the slightest bit of difference to the intransigence over Wallaby eligibility.

Interesting too that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that the Perth Spirit will be re-named the Western Force. Personally, I think that’s a shame.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Better?

vCash
    I swear John Edwards or someone said this will be a decision made by the members. Which members I have no idea.

Can someone give us some insight, because I feel a lot of others share my opinion in The Spirit being the NRC team

I also feel like naming the Force as the NRC team is RugbyWA giving up on pursuing the Force being not only our tier 1 team but in a tier 1 comp

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Whether it's true or not it does give that impression. Especially if they're trying to get Super Rugby franchises to 'loan' ex Force players back for the NRC.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well done Andrew Forrest and team.
    Fantastic developments.

So we get to maintain a Perth-based professional team.
    Fantastic to see these players get some reward for loyalty.
    This means that a full squad of players (30??) are on the payroll.
    Doesn't sound like a full season of games in 2018 which means that many will also be available for community rugby involvement.
    I hope that many local lads from last year's Perth Spirit get a chance to be involved and show their stuff at this level.

Have no issues with the Perth Spirit/Western Force change as it gives a clear recognition for WA's professional team
    These players just want to play rugby....

In addition we have support for the Future Force Foundation
    Wasn't it something like 10 males/5 females?

Big commitment from Andrew Forrest with around >40 players on the payroll + coach (?) + support staff + travel costs.
    I assume that he'll also be contributing to other teams' travel to Perth.
    Plus Minderoo is backing RugbyWA.

Should be some opportunities for travel to some new and interesting places.

I hope that details including Membership packages will be forthcoming as the season gets locked in.

GO THE FORCE!!!!!

PS Can't help but think that these 2018 arrangements are only an interim step to something bigger in 2019.
    It obviously builds upon the strong relationships that have been developed with all the discussions around the IPRC and with Asia Rugby.
    Will be interesting to see the full list of games/opponents. Still a fantastic chance for our local lads to play International Rugby.
    Quite surprised that this is happening - only 5 months since the Force was axed from Super Rugby.

Last edited by andrewg; 13-01-18 at 11:57.

vCash
    If Louwrens left Australia he will break his eligibility.

They should add Badge and Robbie Coleman as players to recruit.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Player
    vCash
    Why can’t nrc and iprc teams both be called the. Western force? It would surely reinforce the brand & identity

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    Why can’t nrc and iprc teams both be called the. Western force? It would surely reinforce the brand & identity
    I think it's more the enthusiasm that's the issue - coming across as, "Relax everyone, we're gonna get the Force back through the NRC," almost like it's equivalent to the IPRC being green lit.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Yes - thanks Mothy

With Clyne and the cabal still at the helm, I don’t see how a new CEO at the ARU will make the slightest bit of difference to the intransigence over Wallaby eligibility.

Interesting too that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that the Perth Spirit will be re-named the Western Force. Personally, I think that’s a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabydarnd View Post
    I like them keeping The Western Force instead of Perth Spirit and I think you will find that the IRPC will be have teams with city based identities so ours will be The Perth Force.

At least our dominant chant can be used for all games....Force...Force...Force!!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I am sure Hansie said that the NRC team name will be put to a vote at a future of WA Rugby meeting sometime after Christmas.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

At least our dominant chant can be used for all games....Force...Force...Force!!!
    That's one thing (For-Orce, For-Orce) Rat's Arse can keep and shove it where the sun don't shine. Frikken lame!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That's one thing (For-Orce, For-Orce) Rat's Arse can keep and shove it where the sun don't shine. Frikken lame!
    I`m with you. Always said it made us sound like a bunch of dribblers. A quick short Force, Force Force is far better.
    New era New chant

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast