Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Premiership 2018

vCash

Premiership 2018

So there is still rugby in WA and clubs will perhaps find it more challenging than ever, but at least the landscape has changed and we have a new competition structure that all the clubs are already talking about.

Simple really, now everyone's in the Premiership ...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives

vCash
    That actually sounds like a good move.

Will there be some sort of talent equalisation move or will clubs only field teams in the grades that they can manage?

OR

Will it be enhanced with players who are waiting for IPRC to kick off?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wow, this thread should fire up, can't wait.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    This sounds like a thread for

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Yep, another new local comp structure. Souther Lions have been promoted to Premier Grade i have heard. Not heard many other details yet.

Champion
    vCash
    To fill you in:

Southern Lions very successfully applied for and were granted Premierclub status, meaning they could meet the administration, financial, coaching and playing requirements asked of PremierClubs.

This meant our Community Competition could become unwieldy. So, we presented to all clubs a few alternative models and the majority voted for our new competition.

We are aiming for all 16 clubs to field 3 senior men's sides ( 1st, 2nds and 3rds) - Colts, women's and 4th and 5th grades will have their competitions integrate with this one. Clubs that cannot field 3 senior sides will be able to invite other single team clubs to help fill spots, or in the first year while we get used to it, there may be one or two byes.

Clubs will be seeded from 1-16. There will be 11or 12 twelve qualifying rounds. BUT Clubs seeded 1-4 don't get to play Clubs seeded 13-16. After the qualifying rounds the top 8 clubs and bottom 8 clubs divide into 2 separate divisions where they get to play each other over another 7 rounds and then we go into finals.

There are a bunch of details still to be agreed upon, such as bonus points etc etc. But this gives all clubs the opportunity to grow and a pathway for all rugbyplayers.

The RugbyWa cup will still be played as per usual, current holders - Associates - get to defend it at their first home game in 2018.

Colts and Women's may get to play some matches under Friday nights if the majority agree to it, 4ths and 5ths will be more social and timed to fit in with home club matches as best as the numbers allow.

I hope I have summarised it as best I can. Happy to answer any questions, but please understand many details still need to get the approval of the clubs.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    BUT Clubs seeded 1-4 don't get to play Clubs seeded 13-16.
    Sounds like manipulation of the system to me. These district clubs have been bleating for years that they haven't had a fair go. Hansie, give them a fair go at tangling with the big boys.

Love to see Neddies destroying some random district club across all grades by 80 points plus. Teach them their rightful place. A lot of spankings look like being handed out next year and a few cricket scores to enter into rugbylink. The number of tries scored will go through the roof.

My bet is the structure will change after 1 year as some district clubs will be destroyed and begging for mercy.

Success will need to be renamed Failure!

Player
    vCash
    There will be people like me who have never played or have been affiliated with a club who would like to watch some club rugby and support a team in some way. I have to say that some of the remarks concerning club rugby by people on this site have put me off a bit. I think next season, more than ever, the clubs need to be pulling together and welcoming new supporters rather than sniping away at each other

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Come down to Wests. No sniping, just lots of trophies!!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I predict, with a great deal of confidence, that on this format either Wanneroo or Perth Bayswater will be guaranteed a premiership next season.

I further predict that next season will be the only one in which this format will be tried.

I'm taking up farnarkling as a sport to follow next year. I don't believe Bob Hunter has an interest in stuffing up Farnarkling.

Veteran
    vCash
    Everyone bitched about last the prems V district.

I think as long as they stay at it for a few seasons, it will give the club's something to aim for. Kind of love a promotion and relegation structure.

That being said, why was Limekilns given premiership status if there isn't really a prems/district divide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    Limekilns
    I think I get that reference. But I doubt many others (except Bunter ) will.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post

I'm taking up farnarkling as a sport to follow next year. I don't believe Bob Hunter has an interest in stuffing up Farnarkling.
    I think you'll find that since the WAFC has been allowed to continue management of the grommet, the future of WA Farnarkling and it's youth pathways may be in real jeopardy. The government allowed the continuation of the peppercorn lease as a kind of war reparation for allowing a bunch of eastern states Mungos to play at the new Craypot Stadium in Burswood.

Australian Farnarkling CEO Dave Sorenson said "If those muppets think we are going to allow our sport to be charged exorbitant rent for that run down grommet in Subiaco they have another think coming. They have seen their last arkle. Nobody over here cares what happens in Perth anyway. Dead set!"

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    For this format to end up being successful it will have to be given at least 3 years in order for the district clubs to build up their playing stocks with local players who were travelling before to play for a prem side.

I do agree that there will be a fair few cricket scores at least in the first year but it will get better with time and all clubs will have an opportunity to thrive and not be restricted.

In my mind Pally is the team that will lose the most players or lose their intake of young colts from other south of the river clubs and no wonder Fulvio is being so sarcastic.

If this format succeeds, Rugby will be the winner as players will no longer have to ravel to play at a certain level.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    it is unfortunate that the man who bought farnarkling to the people(john clarke) and the world champion narkler(normie),are no longer with us

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast