Page 33 of 149 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    I am confident that the Senate enquiry will come down with a damning report of the ARU board. Does anyone know what powers the Senators have to recommend any punitive or legal action?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Hi Kala,
    The registered players and going to easy to pin down close to the truth, because those players are ones paid up, registered and insured to play rugby.
    Can point me exactly to the 14,500 registered for WA.

Thats 17% for WA of 87,000 total, which close to the 20% I think I heard Stooke say at the protest or elsewhere.
    And vic are 5% with their 4,452 registered as per their own website

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    https://www.worldrugby.org/developme...umbers?lang=en

This leads you to a download of the IRBs 2016 player participation map. Interestingly the map shows 230 000 registered players in Australia in 2016.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ying_countries

This link from JSJ also shows, if you follow the link at reference 7, it leads you here :

https://web.archive.org/web/20110925...007/index.html

which shows a figure of 87 000 registered players in Australia in 2011 according to the IRB archive of 2011. So somehow we have an increase of registered players of some 150 000 from 2011 to 2016 according to IRB figures presumably supplied by the affiliated body for Australia, the ARU? Then we get an article like this :

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...95c90a8a444724

quoting the ARU as saying 7000 club players left the game in 2016 and another confirmation that most of their participants are exposed to promotional visits, not actual registered regular Saturday players. So shes a bit of a tangle of numbers to work through.

vCash
    Member figures get fudged about a bit too. Some might recall an InnFORCErs Tour to Darwin a few years ago for a Force v Brumbies pre season trial match.

The grandstand entry fee was about $50 which included " a Brumbies hat and complimentary Brumbies membership"
    There was a deal that the Brumbies had with the NT Government at the time which was ended by their Gov't early.

Quote Originally Posted by joblot View Post
    I am confident that the Senate enquiry will come down with a damning report of the ARU board. Does anyone know what powers the Senators have to recommend any punitive or legal action?
    They can be referred to organisations like ASIC, AFP, etc for investigation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Try pointing lasers?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    There was a deal that the Brumbies had with the NT Government at the time which was ended by their Gov't early.

Yup! You don't serve warm piss to NT patrons and expect to get away with it.

Champion
    vCash
    Senator SMITH: Going back to my original question, I was trying to get an understanding of the 257,000 participants across these jurisdictions that you mentioned. Are we seeing growth in New South Wales participation, or have you been seeing a decline in New South Wales participation? I'm interested to get to the figures that I've seen that have talked about Western Australian participation going from 6,000 to 14,000 in a period of eight to 10 years. That's what I'm trying to get an understanding of. If you are saying that participation is critical and if we are experiencing lots of growth in participation here in Western Australia but we're seeing less participation in other jurisdictions, then I'm curious about that as an element—although not the only element—of the decision around the Western Force. Can you unpack what we're seeing in terms of participation rates across other jurisdictions?

JSJ, theres the WA growth figures taken from Senator Smiths questions to Pulver during the Senate Inquiry It also shows WA had 1500 more players 10 years ago than Victoria has in today. Pulvers answer by the way was about how mens participation had deClyned and was of concern but did not reiterate the numbers from his prepared statement or break them down, just tried to divert the conversation.

Last edited by Kalahard; 28-09-17 at 15:48.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Pulvers answer by the way was about how mens participation had deClyned and was of concern but did not reiterate the numbers from his prepared statement or break them down, just tried to divert the conversation.
    If I remember correctly, Puller's responses during that entire line of questioning (where attempts were made by all three senators to get a straight answer) went something like this

"What are the relative participation/growth figures state by state around the country?"
    "The major complaints I've heard from rugby people has been that insufficient funding has been provided for this sector of rugby.
    "Thanks for that, so now what are the relative participation/growth figures state by state around the country?"
    Lots of kids are taking up junior participation and exposure programs in schools.
    "Thanks for that, so now what are the relative participation/growth figures state by state around the country?"
    Look at Viva Sevens, it's going gangbusters, there's a lot of interest there.
    We provide development officers around the country to engage with participants
    There simply isn't enough money.
    What relevance does that question have to the terms of reference?
    "You don't ask the questions, you are meant to answer the questions. What are the relative participation/growth figures state by state around the country?"
    Viva 7s is fantastic isn't it?
    "I give up, we're running out of time, let's try a different question you won't even attempt tp answer."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    ps that was paraphrased a bit

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

"I give up, we're running out of time, let's try a different question you won't even attempt tp answer."
    Yes Minister.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    interesting that Queensland Rugby Union asked for some of their 2017 funding to be brought forward in 2016 and that they were technically in default. See Queensland Rugby Union Annual Report 2016 page 86

http://fliphtml5.com/xsol/qgnc

Champion
    vCash
    Geez, the QRUs participation numbers are 263 000, 33 000 more than the ARUs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    interesting that Queensland Rugby Union asked for some of their 2017 funding to be brought forward in 2016 and that they were technically in default. See Queensland Rugby Union Annual Report 2016 page 86

http://fliphtml5.com/xsol/qgnc
    I bet they got it as well, being a heartland state and all :-/

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I read on GAGR this morning that Qld nearly went guts up this year and were provided with a loan/bailout. As a disclaimer I haven’t seen it reported anywhere else yet.

What happened to the ARU saying they wouldn’t provide bailout loans anymore?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I read on GAGR this morning that Qld nearly went guts up this year and were provided with a loan/bailout. As a disclaimer I haven’t seen it reported anywhere else yet.

What happened to the ARU saying they wouldn’t provide bailout loans anymore?
    Well, at least they didn't ask for the Reds' IP and licence. I mean, that was such a disaster last time that the ARU had to disband the team!

[Too soon?]

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 33 of 149 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 133 ... LastLast