Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organisers want WA team in Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

vCash

Organisers want WA team in Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

A LIFELINE will be thrown to rugby in the wild west by the Brisbane Global Rugby Tens regardless of whether the Western Force are extinct in February.

An invitation from tournament organisers Duco Events will be a great vote of support to keep nourishing a Perth-based team, even if it doesn’t carry the Force branding.

With the Force’s future tied up in the NSW Supreme Court, there will be no definitive call on the club before next year’s exciting Global Tens format is announced on Wednesday.

“We want Force fans and followers of rugby in Western Australia to be part of the Global Tens no matter what the outcome of the legal process,” Duco Events chief executive Rachael Carroll said.

“If there is no Western Force, we’ll still be actively looking at a competitive WA team, perhaps a WA Barbarians mixing local players and some hand-picked stars.”

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...e9fd5f84dbc31a

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    If we don't play as the Force, why should we expose our local talent to the East Coast for their recruiting convenience?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I wonder if the Perth Spirit will be back-to-back premiers going into that?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Shit, I agree with someone from Palmyra.

vCash
    Presale tickets for the 10s are out in a few days as well if anyone is interested. Was a great weekend this year

vCash

Tweaks to Tens in second year

TODAY AT 4:27 PM

by Beth Newman

Duco Events Australia CEO Rachael Carroll is confident the Brisbane Tens will have more top-line All Blacks in 2018, after the new edition of the event was launched on Wednesday.

The second rendition of the competition will be a day-night format, taking games out of the hottest part of the day, after fans sweltered through record temperatures in Brisbane this year.

Carroll said they had taken fan feedback on board in establishing the new schedule, which will also be shifted to start on Friday, rather than Saturday.

“We saw how hot it was last year, everyone remembers that, so we're going day-night,” she said.

“We're going Friday night, Saturday night, so you can imagine rocking in after work, 2,3,4 o’clock, on a balmy night in Brisbane.

“It's going to be fantastic.”

New Zealand Rugby prevented its Test stars from playing in the 2017 tournament, including paid ambassador Israel Dagg, due to restrictions on load for touring stars, but Carroll said that would be different this year.

Julian Savea, who was a surprise omission from the Rugby Championship squad, is the high-profiel Kiwi ambassador and Carroll said they had moved to ensure his playing participation, irrespective of whether he makes it back into the international fold.

“We've worked really hard this year straight off the back of the first event, we went into New Zealand rugby and said, 'Right, how are we going to do this? Let's get these big guys on the field and here we've got the second-biggest tryscorer of all time for the All Blacks, Julian Savea, who's guaranteed to play next year, even if he goes on tour, he's guaranteed to play next year,” she said.

“We're working really closely with New Zealand Rugby to assess each on a case-by-case basis and get some more All blacks on the field, but it's also about the new stars.

“If you look at this year - (All Blacks and Hurricanes back) Jordie Barrett, breakthrough star, platform and look what he's gone on to do.

“This is about, yes, the stars of today, but also the stars of tomorrow.”

Next year, the competition will also see some new international teams, with a Fiji national team joining Samoa, as well as top 14 team Pau.

“We know that when Fiji plays anywhere in Australia in both New South Wales and Queensland , you get a huge following of fans in the stands and we're absolutely expecting that the Fijians are going to come out in Force and support the Brisbane Global tens next year,” Carroll said.

Aussie fans could see David Pocock on home soil for the first time in the competition as well, with the flanker’s Panasonic Wild Knights in action for the second year.

Closer to home, there will be a WA representative side regardless of the outcome of the long-running Super Rugby saga, with Carroll floating the idea of a WA Barbarians team should the Force no longer exist.

The 2018 Brisbane Global Rugby Tens kicks off on Friday February 9, running over two days.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/08...ne-tens-launch

Player
    vCash
    I'm done with the ARU, they keep offering us in the West tiny incentives instead of the real thing. Tens is a great format, more like real rugby than 7's. But it is not and will never be a replacement for Super rugby.
    I'm finished I've given away my tickets to the Perth test, I won't watch the Wallabies play and I would rather watch Mitre 10 cup than the NRC.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I saw The Honeybadger in the promo pic but not sure who he is playing for.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Panasonic?

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Badger doesn't play, he's a traveling hilly billy according to his social media accounts.

Player
    vCash
    Duco Events who organise the 10's aren't doing this out if he goodness of their hearts. They'll only be doing it because the ARU shitcanining the Force will bugger up the draw for the event.

vCash
    And the truckloads of free advertising they'll get whether the Force win or lose the appeal

C'mon the

vCash
    Send the Pirates, aarrgh.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Send the Pirates, aarrgh.
    Speaking of Pirates; Paul Kent said on Monday that the NRL are preparing to have them enter a State Cup team. Didn't say which one they'd enter.

Wrong thread I know but Chibi started it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    You bloody mungo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast