Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Mitchell to take charge of Bulls

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

John Mitchell to take charge of Bulls

http://www.superxv.com/bulls-appoint...ecutive-rugby/

"Pretoria Super Rugby franchise the Bulls will have a new Executive of Rugby as their holding company the Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd have signed up former All Black coach John Mitchell.

The former All Black coach has vast experience in Super Rugby as he coached the Western Force in Perth and the Lions in Johannesburg.

Mitchell was hired by USA Rugby in January 2016 but will step down from his role as the head coach of the USA Men’s Eagles and will assume the role in Pretoria, South Africa, in July following the U.S. National Team’s Emirates Airline Summer Series and Rugby World Cup 2019 Qualifier matches.

The Blue Bulls company said in a statement that Mitchell’s “appointment is the next step in the unfolding turnaround strategy announced by the company two weeks ago.”

Barend van Graan, CEO of the BBCo, explained that the appointment is merely a nextstep in the turnaround strategy: “We are working hard to ensure sustainable and long term success for the Bulls. As part of the process, we have now appointed the best candidate to take over the reins at the Bulls. We are also continuing with the rest of the process, to listen to people whoseinsights will help our turnaround succeed. We are working towards achievingsuccess as a team on every front, to grow our supporter base and to earn trust in our brand”.

“I said from the start that this would be a thorough process. We looked at options both internally and externally, and had various other discussions and forums to ensure we would identify the correct candidates. The signing of acoach with the magnitude and experience of Mitchell is a massive coup for us, as his coaching credentials and achievements speak for themselves. I’m sure John will be able to add immensely in terms of our goals to win trophies and more importantly to help the continued development of our coaches and players.”

The 53 year-old dad of three, who was born in Hawera New Zealand, boasts an impressive record both as a player and as a coach. Mitchell played in six matches for the All Blacks, captaining them on three occasions. As a coach he lead them to several memorable victories with an amazing success rate of over 80%, whichincluded 2002 and 2003 Tri-Nations Championships, third place 2003 IRB World Cup and also the Bledisloe Cup in the same year.

“I enjoy challenges and this surely is a serious challenge, but one that excites me tremendously”, said Mitchell.

“I have coached against the Bulls and the Springboks many times before. They have a rich history of success, tradition and a legacy that surely surpasses most within SA Rugby and perhaps even world rugby. I am well aware of the responsibilities that come with this job, but I am also excited about the opportunities and the talented players at the Bulls.”

Gert Wessels, president of the union, was also excited about the appointment, “It’s been a tough year at Loftus, and some big decisions had to be made. The Bulls Board and Executives decided to implement a strategy, which will have an immediate effect on the short term with the least disruption on players and coaches and further exacerbate an already dire situation. I have no doubt that John is the man to take the Bulls forward and establish strategies that will benefit the Bulls in the long term, and I am rather excited about having a man of his caliber on our team. He is a humble man, who epitomizes rugby values and what this beautiful game stands for, and I firmly believe that he will be an asset to our structures.”

John Newburry, Chairman of the board, elaborated on Nollis Marais’ role going forward, “Nollis will remain in his role as the Currie Cup Head Coach. The BBCo have invested a lot of time and resources in him over the past six years, and he has come through our ranks and has achieved many successes with the various teams over the years. He is a great coach and a true Blue Bull at heart.

“This appointment will strengthen his hand and ensure that he still adds value and remains a vital part of our system. We value his efforts, his commitment and ability to adapt to the changes, but most importantly his potential to walk the path forward with this brand. He is a integral part of this system and will fulfill a very important role in Mitchell’s management team.”

"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Good choice for the Bulls, despite his lack of man management skills I have always rated John very highly.

I think his main success was the development of our loose forwards and that of the Lions, to date both of us have that as our best performing and developed area.

Good luck John,

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Good choice for the Bulls, despite his lack of man management skills I have always rated John very highly.

I think his main success was the development of our loose forwards and that of the Lions, to date both of us have that as our best performing and developed area.

Good luck John,
    Yet in 4 years failed to develop any visible semblance of a Club Culture that Michael Foley managed to develop in less then 3 months.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Name:  535132.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  49.9 KB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Yet in 4 years failed to develop any visible semblance of a Club Culture that Michael Foley managed to develop in less then 3 months.
    I was involved in junior rugby when John was around. I would say he tried to engage with clubs, which is a thing that Foley has been accused of destroying utterly, so I guess there's pros and cons in both cases.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I was involved in junior rugby when John was around. I would say he tried to engage with clubs, which is a thing that Foley has been accused of destroying utterly, so I guess there's pros and cons in both cases.
    I was referring to Culture within the Force.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Yes, I know, but I thought it fair to assess both of them on the entirety of their role.

You could choose to look at specifics of each of them to suggest one was better than the other, but I think that would be counterproductive. They were both "pretty good" for the force, but neither was amazing.

It would be interesting to see what Foley could have done with the Force had Braindead Dick not completely destroyed any value that was left after Mitchell left.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Shame Michael Foley couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

vCash
    Mitchell has been in the game forever. Reckon he's smart enough to recognise any shortcomings he has had in man management and implement strategies to improve that area. Even if it might seem like pulling your own teeth out to him.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Mitchell has been in the game forever. Reckon he's smart enough to recognise any shortcomings he has had in man management and implement strategies to improve that area. Even if it might seem like pulling your own teeth out to him.
    Normally you'd want to say that your right. But he seemed to have the same issues at the force and then over in Africa.
    But haven't heard the US players saying that they're unhappy with his work. Maybe it just took him longer than you'd expect from the average person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Normally you'd want to say that your right. But he seemed to have the same issues at the force and then over in Africa.
    But haven't heard the US players saying that they're unhappy with his work. Maybe it just took him longer than you'd expect from the average person.
    His strategy is to move on when the problems he causes get too much to handle.

C'mon the

vCash
    It would be interesting to see if John Mitchell develops along the same learning curve that Eddie Jones has. For all his faults, I truly believe Eddie Jones is a better coach now than he was with the Wallabies and Brumbies.

John Mitchell did wonders with England's forwards years ago, I wonder if that's something that could be brought into Australian rugby throughout our development systems?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    John Mitchell did wonders with England's forwards years ago

No he didn't and Woodward got rid of him

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Shame Michael Foley couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
    how do you explain the 2014 season?

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    The impact of the previous coach.

Hey were so relieved to be rid of Richard Graham that the boys miraculously played decent rugby.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast