Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FORCE WOMEN HUNTING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GLORY

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

FORCE WOMEN HUNTING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GLORY

FORCE WOMEN HUNTING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GLORY

By Fraser Smith
    The Alcohol.Think Again Western Force Women’s Team depart for the National Championships on Gold Coast on Thursday, 11 May, with their sights firmly set on bringing the trophy to the West for the first time.
    This year’s team has been touted as the strongest side that Western Australia has ever selected with six current Wallaroos squad members set to take to the field.
    2014 World Cup Wallaroo Natasha Haines says the side is eager to make some noise on the national scale and excited about what they can achieve this weekend.
    “There’s a lot of excitement around the team,” she said. “We have quite a few new players that haven’t played for WA before so they are pumped and there’s a really good atmosphere.”

“I think this is the best team we have ever taken away so there is a nervous excitement and anticipation about the tournament.”
    With a number of new players coming into the side including a host of Wanneroo Divas who have been labelled the best women’s club side in the country the Alcohol.Think Again Western Force Women look to have a great mix of talent.
    “We got a couple of players from a few different clubs so that has loaded the team really well and given a really good mix of the all the clubs here in WA.”
    “A couple of the Wanneroo girls have come into the team for the first time and some are coming back, with weapons like those guys in the team they are a big boost.”

“We are stoked to have them on board and to be on the same team representing WA instead of clashing against each other at club level.”
    The team will be aiming to take the next step this weekend after finishing third in the last three National Championships, going down the reigning champions, Sydney.
    “We are always in the same pool as Sydney and it is always Sydney that we fall down to. We are really determined to go one or two better this year, we’ve definitely got the drive and skills so we want to take it out this year.”
    In a World Cup year, Haines who has recently been elevated back into the Wallaroos squad says while the gold jersey is a goal for her and a number of teammates the immediate focus is on the Nationals.

“It’s nice to be back in Wallaroos again but in sport you can be dropped anytime or injured so Wallaroos isn’t the focus for us right now, we are really set on bringing the trophy home from Nationals.”
    “If the Aussie coaches come knocking for a few of our girls after the tournament then that would be great and if we perform well as a team we could see even more WA girls getting the call-up.”
    With the women’s game growing at a rapid rate in the West, Haines believes a National Championship title could be the perfect way to show the country just how strong the game is in Western Australia.
    “From my understanding, WA is the fastest growing state for women’s rugby. We’ve got a such an awesome league over here with some really talented players and such a high skill level across the board.”
    “If we could take it out and it would be fantastic to show how strong women’s rugby and rugby as a whole is in WA. We’re getting amazing support from the community so we can’t wait to get to over there and show what we can do.”
    The Alcohol.Think Again Western Force Women’s kick off their National Championship campaign at Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast on Friday, 12 with the final to be played on Sunday, 14 May.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    is there a a team sheet anywhere?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Good luck to the ladies

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I strongly endorse this product or service.

Go get 'em girls!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    WA womens team won their 1st game vs the ADFRU women 19 points to 0.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    WA have won their second match vs South Australia 20 points to 0.

Rookie
    vCash
    Go girls!
    A good advertisement for the growth of rugby in WA

Champion
    vCash
    Sydney look the team to beat, they put 50 on ADFRU. The thing im a bit surprised about is they are playing 20 minute halves and multiple games in one day. Hopefully this comp grows to a more national type competition similar to the Super 20s.

Champion
    vCash
    DAY 1 RESULTS

Pool A

Sydney 39 - South Australia Barbarians 0

Western Australia 19 - ADFRU 0

Sydney 68 - ADFRU 0

Western Australia 20 - South Australia Barbarians 0

Pool B

Queensland 22 - NSW Country 0

ACT 17 - Victoria 3

ACT 23 - NSW Country 0

Queensland 29 - Victoria 0

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/05...ational-champs

vCash
    4 teams into the finals?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It has been a difficult year for rugby union in Western Australia, where the Western Force men's team is facing the axe as part of a Super Rugby restructure.
    But amid the gloom, there remains optimism — with the Western Force women's team looking to lift the state's fortunes at the Women's National XVs Championships on the Gold Coast this weekend.
    Despite WA having never performed better than fourth at the national championships, the Force approached the tournament with their confidence high.
    That confidence proved well-placed, with the side opening their campaign on Friday with a pair of wins — keeping the Australian Defence Force and South Australia scoreless in the process.

Speaking beforehand, coach Brett Fell said he was looking forward to his team testing itself against the competition, not least reigning back-to-back champions Sydney — who also won their opening two matches.
    "We respect them because they deserve that respect [but] we don't fear them, we look forward to the challenge that they offer us," he said.
    "It really puts pressure on our girls to see what they can do and produce against the so-called top players."
    WA captain and blindside flanker Natasha Haines, 35, was also positive about her team's chances.
    "My expectations are really high," she said.
    "I have been in the squad for at least the last four or five years and I believe this is our best team that we have taken over to nationals.
    "If we have everything under control, I think we should definitely be able to take out the whole tournament."
    The championships also shape as be the perfect chance for players to put their hand up for a spot in the national women's team, the Walleroos, ahead of a busy upcoming schedule.
    PHOTO: Force captain Natasha Haines says it's the best team to have represented WA. (Supplied: RugbyWA)
    World Cup selection at stake

The Walleroos are set to tour New Zealand for a Test series against the Black Ferns, England and Canada in June, before setting off for the Women's World Cup in Ireland in August.
    The team featured an overwhelming amount of east coast athletes last year, with 11 of the starting 15 who played against New Zealand in October coming from New South Wales.
    Teams in National Women's XVs Championships:

• Western Force (WA)
    • Sydney
    • Victoria
    • Australian Capital Territory
    • Queensland
    • NSW Country
    • Australian Defence Force
    • South Australia

Haines said geographical distance from selectors could play a factor in non-selection.
    "WA has got a lot of talent back home with so much energy and rugby knowledge. Unfortunately, because we are so far away we tend to get overlooked," she said.
    "It would be nice if some of those girls could make the Wallaroos squad, go on tour and represent WA."
    Fell urged the national selectors to take a closer look at his players.
    "I think the World Cup is certainly in the back of their mind," he said.
    "We are determined to show that women's rugby is on the map in WA. We are going places over in Perth and people need to take notice of us."
    Topics: sport, rugby-union, women, perth-6000, wa

Player
    vCash
    Go girls.

It's the first time I've heard the team called the Force, and I love it.

Frankly The West and other papers should be reporting on women's sport a lot more. Bugger readership and numbers a few articles on local women's sport is required. Just a side bar with scores would be a positive support for those women's sports and to open peoples eyes up. Then again The West doesn't even put the results of the Premier grade in the main section, and no I dont read the results page.

In short The West, as the WA paper, should start promoting local sports. How many sports articles are just AAP crap. Monday should be a simple description of key premier mens/womens local rugby, soccer, basketball, afl etc. This would start the acknowledgement and interest generation.

Last edited by DazloT; 12-05-17 at 23:06.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ROUND 3

Pool A

9:30AM ADFRU v South Australia

Pool B

11:00AM NSW Country v Victoria

Pool A

12:30PM Sydney v Western Australia

Pool B

2:00PM ACT v Queensland

Buildcorp National Women's XV Championships Pool matches will be 30 minutes halves.

vCash
    AH is on the ground in runaway bay sipping on protein shakes while watching a couple games of rugby.. The girls are going to have to pull their shit together to get over Sydney today, they have the ability to do it they just need to gel.. If they do and they end up taking on Queensland in the final they will need to step it up another level as I reckon the Queensland team would test some Perth 2nd grade men's teams, very big very physical and very direct.

Peace be with you all xx

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see a report on the girls on the ABC website

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-1...?section=sport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast