Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force vow to step up battle for their future

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Okay. I'll start. Jono, when you come across the "meat tray" , do you find yourself reaching for the breasts, the thighs or the sausage?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    That sounds a like a very strange meat tray.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    "Sacrifices need to be made": ARU COO Rob Clarke says Brumbies' Super Rugby success is vital"

Australian Rugby Union chief operating officer Rob Clarke says sacrifices will need to made to find the ideal make-up of the Super Rugby competition................."Australia's most successful Super Rugby club is now entrenched in the nation's capital and the Brumbies represent a great rugby heartland.................You don't axe or walk away from a successful product...........Ultimately it's not going to be a perfect fit for everybody"

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...19-guglrq.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Is this the end of the road for Super Rugby? - Wayne Smith

(Both this and the above available on Google News.)

Uncertainty, fear, hope. All natural emotions at this stage of a football season as teams anxiously weigh up their hopes of making the finals. But when Super Rugby kicks off tomorrow night with the Melbourne Rebels hosting Auckland’s Blues, it will be the competition itself that is in most danger of elimination.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...c21f5629c4619f

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    "Sacrifices need to be made": ARU COO Rob Clarke says Brumbies' Super Rugby success is vital" Australian Rugby Union chief operating officer Rob Clarke says sacrifices will need to made to find the ideal make-up of the Super Rugby competition................."Australia's most successful Super Rugby club is now entrenched in the nation's capital and the Brumbies represent a great rugby heartland.................You don't axe or walk away from a successful product...........Ultimately it's not going to be a perfect fit for everybody" http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...19-guglrq.html
    Well that sounds pretty shit. To paraphrase, and interpret other things that have been said, if the brumbies can play some decent rugby, their survival appears to be pretty much assured regardless of the actual sustainability of the organisation. The force have been propped up by a lower margin, and sold their in to get it, financially in a much better position and continue to have a crap draw but they are told to suck it up, you'll know when we tell you. Why wasn't exactly the same message delivered to the brumbies? The only indication is the age old "great rugby heatlabd" bullshit. Does anybody have comparative crowd figures, because my impression is that this great rugby heartland is full of fans that won't put their hand in their pocket.

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    The force have a guaranteed sponsorship for the next four years pretty much making us self-sufficient. You can't axe a club that is paying for itself surely...especially when other clubs are struggling financially.

Also why the Brumbies haven't been moved to SA is a baffling mystery.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    i thought it was a 1/3 deal? so we might not have main roads for next season as it stands now?

vCash
    1 year deal with a roll over option for a further 3 years and I assume that was put in place with election looming.

But if the Government changes hands who knows what will happen in regards to a possible roll over in 12 months!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    1 year deal with a roll over option for a further 3 years and I assume that was put in place with election looming.

But if the Government changes hands who knows what will happen in regards to a possible roll over in 12 months!
    I assumed the roll over was to deal with the possibility that the Force might not exist in future seasons.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I assumed the roll over was to deal with the possibility that the Force might not exist in future seasons.
    Good call.

Could be both...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Good call.

Could be both...
    Most likely both and several other things that we haven't thought of yet

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Is this the end of the road for Super Rugby? - Wayne Smith

(Both this and the above available on Google News.)

Uncertainty, fear, hope. All natural emotions at this stage of a football season as teams anxiously weigh up their hopes of making the finals. But when Super Rugby kicks off tomorrow night with the Melbourne Rebels hosting Auckland’s Blues, it will be the competition itself that is in most danger of elimination.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...c21f5629c4619f
    Taking that article at it's headline - hopefully.

Because then it would mean Australia and New Zealand will no longer have to be involved in South African Rugby politics. The real question is how marketable the TV rights would be without them.

vCash
    Thoughts:
    ARU is financially supporting the
    They won't want to be the ones to say the time is up for the
    However, if SANZAAR steps in to make the decision, then it wasn't ARU's fault, was it?

Also:
    With the Own The Force pilot, and the new very large WA Govt sponsorship there's much to be optimistic about from a financial perspective.
    Would an accountant say the same about the Brumbies?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    There is story out there today about Pulver calling for the Jags and Wolves to be axed if anyone can find it.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    All I found was this:

Australian rugby guru John O'Neill has called for Argentina and Japan to be dumped from Super Rugby, along with a sixth South African side.

As SANZAAR tries to plot a path forward for its convoluted 18-team championship, former ARU chairman O'Neill says they must return to a 15-team format.

O'Neill, who headed the Australian union through its boom period of professional rugby, fears the competition is losing its tribalism and accused the organisers of trying to please everyone, including World Rugby.

"It will take some very bold decision making," O'Neill told the Daily Telegraph, imploring Australian administrators to stand strong against calls to axe one of their teams.
    Am I suggesting it's an easy solution? No, it's not. But you cannot continue with an 18-team competition, which isn't even a genuine competition.

"Those that say we should cull one of our franchises, I can't possibly agree with that. It is not the fault of the five Australian franchises that this Super 18 competition is a disaster.

"You can ask questions how the hell this 18-team competition came into existence but the hard cold question now is 'what's the solution?'.

"It is time, in my view, for a very serious rethink. What is the best competition structure that is ultimately and unambiguously in the best interests of Australian rugby?

"Personally, I would not have agreed with South Africa going to six teams. That's a domestic issue that they should have been told to sort out..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-administrator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast