Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force future still uncertain as new Super Rugby season starts

Champion
    vCash

Western Force future still uncertain as new Super Rugby season starts

What a debacle. SANZAAR is a dog's breakfast

Nick Taylor

Friday, January 27, 2017 11:39AM

Western Force will kick off the new Super Rugby season with the spectre of an uncertain future hanging over them.

Speculation has surrounded their future since an independent review made recommendations including reducing the number of teams.

But they will be several games into the campaign before governing body SANZAAR meets to discuss any new format. Even then there may not be a result as there must be unanimous vote for change.

The situation could be further complicated as South Africa is unlikely to agree to culling teams because it was at its insistence the Kings were reinstated last year, contributing to expansion.

The Australian Rugby Union’s stance on the Force is still unclear, but it is on the agenda for its February 20 meeting.

The most likely option is retention of the current format until the end of the 2020 broadcast deal, but SANZAAR boss Andy Marinos told The West Australian he could not predict any outcome.

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88367308z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 29-01-17 at 14:04.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    A unanimous decision is required for change.

I am backing a Status quo

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Me too. I hope we are right!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    A unanimous decision is required for change. I am backing a Status quo
    Same here, but It isn't because I trust the ARU to do the right thing by the force. It's because I can't see saru throwing the kings under the bus.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Same sentiments here. It would be political suicide (read Govt funding) to get rid of the Kings.
    You would also think the ARU would know what they are going to do by now and that Mr Stooke will be fighting for the team he helped establish - or will he just play the party line to keep his seat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    A unanimous decision is required for change.

I am backing a Status quo
    I think we're dreaming if we expect whatever we want to come out of the SANZAAR review. What they're proposing wont break the rules, or the bank; we're living on an island with limited earning potential (mony mony) and we'll be going down down again and again rather than rocking all over the world, so maybe it's time to roll over, lay down. Although, the party ain't over yet and I ain't complaining.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I think we're dreaming if we expect whatever we want to come out of the SANZAAR review. What they're proposing wont break the rules, or the bank; we're living on an island with limited earning potential (mony mony) and we'll be going down down again and again rather than rocking all over the world, so maybe it's time to roll over, lay down. Although, the party ain't over yet and I ain't complaining.
    I can hear what you're proposin'

vCash
    You guys are both way too old.

Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun n games.

The dogs of war won't stand for us failing to pull our weight

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Friday, January 27, 2017 11:39AM

Western Force will kick off the new Super Rugby season with the spectre of an uncertain future hanging over them.

Speculation has surrounded their future since an independent review made recommendations including reducing the number of teams.

But they will be several games into the campaign before governing body SANZAAR meets to discuss any new format. Even then there may not be a result as there must be unanimous vote for change.

The situation could be further complicated as South Africa is unlikely to agree to culling teams because it was at its insistence the Kings were reinstated last year, contributing to expansion.

The Australian Rugby Union’s stance on the Force is still unclear, but it is on the agenda for its February 20 meeting.

The most likely option is retention of the current format until the end of the 2020 broadcast deal, but SANZAAR boss Andy Marinos told The West Australian he could not predict any outcome.

More here
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...-ng-b88367308z
    Heartily sick of this uncertainty and continuing speculation.

Why should the missus and I cough up several grand for shares in Western Force Owners P/L, and find (a) that there will be no Western Force in 2018 (what would happen to the WFO money then?) or (b) that the Western Force gets moved to Western Sydney and what's left of the WFO money is gratefully accepted by the NSWRU or (c) that the Western Force gets merged with one of the other four Australian Super Rugby franchises who are only too grateful to get whatever money is still sitting in the WFO kitty?

It's all about the money.

vCash
    Last season they were giving away tickets and the stands were still empty. It seems inevitable that the Force will fold unless there is some form of radical action or they massively overachieve this season. It's not possible to have 5 relatively successful Australian teams, unlike NZ we simply don't have the players. Perhaps the laws on things like overseas players and marquee players could be relaxed, especially for the weaker teams. Or even a two-tiered comp, top 9 teams in one league, bottom 9 in another with 2 teams getting promoted/relegated every year.

Last edited by zed; 30-01-17 at 10:13.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Heartily sick of this uncertainty and continuing speculation.

Why should the missus and I cough up several grand for shares in Western Force Owners P/L, and find (a) that there will be no Western Force in 2018 (what would happen to the WFO money then?) or (b) that the Western Force gets moved to Western Sydney and what's left of the WFO money is gratefully accepted by the NSWRU or (c) that the Western Force gets merged with one of the other four Australian Super Rugby franchises who are only too grateful to get whatever money is still sitting in the WFO kitty?

It's all about the money.
    From what information I have heard (and bearing in mind that the prospectus hasn't been issued yet), the shares can be sold back to the team at any time. So if they move the Force, they'd have to find ~$5 million if everyone said "no, sod this, I want my money back". If the prospectus said any else with regard to the shares, they'd never get people to buy 5000 shares at $1000 a pop.

The way I read the announcements, essentially you are loaning the Force $1000 at 0% interest

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Originally, they stated if the force were to fold we would get our money refunded, but since then they have now made it marketable shares that we can sell for profit. So not sure about being refunded.

If we are to still be refunded I would like to know that it will count if they were to merge or make us the "Western Sydney Farce"

I'm putting my money in for the "Western Force" Perth based only

vCash
    It's amazing how some people are ready to attend the funeral without actually seeing the corpse first.

The odds are that nothing will change this year and there will be no change at all until the TV deal is over in 2020.

A bit of patience is all that is required.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    It's amazing how some people are ready to attend the funeral without actually seeing the corpse first.

The odds are that nothing will change this year and there will be no change at all until the TV deal is over in 2020.

A bit of patience plus a gorilla each is all that is required.
    FIXED!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    'plus a gorilla each ' FIXED!
    No thanks I've just put one out.

(wondering how many will get that reference and does it make me look old?)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast