Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Country Rugby Development

Prospect
    vCash

Country Rugby

Burgs,

There is plenty happening in Country WA over the past 12 months there has been plenty of negotiations with Rugby WA re coaching, funding etc.

I am presently the president of Great Southern Rugby Union and have made some good inroads with country development.

One of the main driving forces in Geraldton has recently oved to Tom Price nd he is working hard to got Rugby in the North. I have also spoken with a guys in Newman who had 60 players turn up for a charity match.

We are also trying to get some more more publicity for Country Rugby.

Last season the WA Country XV played two games in Perth one against a first grade selection team and the other against Parth Bayswater.

Things are really looking up for Country Rugby for the future.

I can put you in touch with somebody in your area if you wish to be involved.

Bully

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    G'day Bully and welcome to TWF posting!
    Great to hear that things are happening in country rugby.
    A mate of mine is involved with playing with the Geraldton mob, I think he said they play against the cops each year?
    Although due to knees my playing days are well past me, contacts for anyone involved organising in Newman would be great and I may be able be of some assistance somehow.
    Gribbo (above) is in Newman and Junaben not far from Tom Price also so they may be able to keep us update with developments up there.
    I would support your suggestion of getting more publicity though, in thirty odd years of country living, the first I heard of any country rugby events was reading about it on the Rugby WA site last year.
    I'm hoping to get down to Gero for the COuntry Carnival next June and as above, suggested it may work into being a bit of a TWF roadtrip/catch up.
    Look forward to Great Southern updates during the season Bully!
    Burgs.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I've just added a new "Western Australian Country Rugby" sub-forum - deserves its own space I reckons

Here: http://thewholeforce.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Are there many well-known names who originate from country areas?

Sorry Chief for being a bit slow on the uptake.

John Steggall was born in Geraldton in 1909, he played for Australia on 10 occasions.
    He lived in Brisbane when he had the call up. He played for YMCA and Qld.

The list of Wallaby reps from WA is short - 11 in total .
    Of course there's Western Force recruit John Welborn.
    NZ born Bob Thompson was picked for Australia whilst playing for Wests in 1971.
    Mick Mathers was born in Perth he played 2 test for Australia, although he was playing for Eastwoods when selected.
    Other guys we claim are Max Carpenter who played for Perth in 1934 before moving back to Sydney 1938, then gaining Wallaby honours.
    Queenslander Spencer Brown in the 50's played in Perth before moving onto Manly and gaining 3 caps at 32yo against SA.
    Londoner Art Turnbull played for UWA in the mid 50's, after to moving Victoria in 1961 he gain one cap against Fiji in a 3-3 draw.
    Scot Ken McCurrach played for both Perth and Uni 1969-72, he moved to Sydney and was picked for '73 Wallabies European tour and played for Australia against Italy in a non-test match.
    Alan Morton played 11 tests for the Wallabies 1957-59, then came to WA played for Uni and WA.
    Norm Storey played once for Australia in 1962 against the All Blacks. He finished his career with Associate and Melbourne and South Australia.
    Ian Mackay did play but there is no records of his career.
    Finally sydneysider Keith Besomo played for the Wallabies once in 1979 against Ireland.
    Although he did tour 3 times! He played out his seasons with Soaks and WA/Tasmanian. Believe it or not he had been deaf since birth!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Brett Sheehan is a Geraldton boy too, playing for the Tahs and Australia A.
    He played two years for Joeys 1st XV though so I guess they claim the development honours.
    www.waratahs.com.au/nsw/nsw.rugby/page/30394
    http://www.rugby.com.au/players/wall...ett,37845.html

vCash
    Good luck to the fellers who are working to promote the game in the Pilbara.

I can fill you in on a couple of your earlier questions re "rugby" competitions up north. Originally sometime in the late 60's or early '70's there were a few rag tag games of RU played in Port Hedland and some RL matches around Dampier. The way I heard it, a meeting between the interested parties was called and a vote taken re which code to play. The Pilbara Rugby League was up and running. Teams competed from Dampier, Karratha, Wickham, Tom Price and Parraburdoo, Pt Hedland & South Hedland.............ahhh those were the days

Legend has it that the first meeting was held in the Whim Creek Pub. For those who don't know it, this is the closest thing you'll see to a true life "Ettamoga Pub", just the pub alone, half way between Port Hedland & Karratha and nothing else within 150kms - even has the wooden balconies upstairs. Been destryed by cyclones and- improbably - re-built a couple of times. A brilliant stop on the way home from an away match. But very hard to get the buggers back on the bus

Away games in Parraburdoo were interseting. Or the homeward trips were, at least 8) 388kms down a dirt road from Dampier F#*k knows how far from Hedland. And no Pubs!!

I was in the area from 1978 - 1992 and involved one way or another for most of that time. As far as I know the comp was still running a couple of years ago minus Tom Price & Parra.

There was also a Comp in Newman.

Each year the two Leagues gathered combined teams from Dampier/Karratha, TP/Parra, Pt/Sth Hedland and Newman and met for a weekend knockout comp to decide the "Pilbara Championship" There were also a few Pilbara Rep teams over the years mostly taking on Kalgoorlie/Boulder but one obviously talented side in the 70's claimed a victory over a Perth rep side.

The players were mostly previous RU folks but RL was the only game in town. The only time RU was played was when the navy was about or golden oldies matches.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Burgs]
    The Clubs I am aware of are:

South West Comp-
    Dryandra Narrogin
    Dunsborough
    Leeuwin Margaret River

Great Southern Comp-
    Albany
    Denmark
    Mt Barker

Eastern Goldfields-
    Boulder
    Bushwackers
    Kambalda
    Stormers
    WA School of Mines
    QUOTE]

Just to clear up the Great Southern side of things
    Narrogin/Dryandra is now in the Great Southern comp.
    and also Katanning had its first year in 2006 as a part of the Great Southern Comp.
    The Comp was good but could have been structured better if more players were availible and if the ones who were around were more commited to there clubs we can expect an awsome comp for 2007. Bully (Mt Barker and Great Southern Pres.) emailed me today about some perth sides coming "bush" for pre season games for next march.
    Cant wait..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have updated the list thanks for that Krusher

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Do any of the Kalgoorlie Brothers play union here?

Champion
    vCash
    There is oa great piece in the inside rugby mag about WA Country Rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like it is time for me to go to town for my monthly shopping then, new Inside Rugby in stores

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2