Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: SANZAR Meeting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The administrators of Rugby have to be the most inept sports administrators in the world.

How many players are on 1 year contracts this year? If the decision is not released until May, how many of these players might get itchy feet and look elsewhere both in Australia to a franchise that can offer a deal (we all know who that is) or chase big dollars overseas.
    If a whole bunch of players start signing contracts in Europe and Japan, I don't think we should blame them.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This is BULLSHIT! It's like being on death row waiting for a pardon

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    This is BULLSHIT! It's like being on death row waiting for a pardon
    the only way we get sentenced to death (to use your metaphor) is if the ARU sells out it's employees - because that's what the force/RWA are. Sinders has shown for years he is only out to save his own skin, he's not got a full time, inside line to the ARU. You'd want to hope he has been using that since he was brought inside to ensure that the ARU doesn't ruin rugby in WA.

As well as set a massive precedent that shows how little the national body cares about the sport in Australia

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I just cant see why a 3 x six team system can't be the most effective solution for an 18 team competition.

South Africa keep their six.

New Zealand gets the Argies

Australia gets Japan

That way you can play a complete home and away in your group and top two from each qualify.

The Argies and Japan go an one massive away tour of five matches (or it could be done in two trips if required) and each other Kiwi and Aussie team only leave the country once.

Auckland to Argie is a direct flight.

Less flights, less travel $$$, more rugby, local derbies back

Or is this too simple??

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Red Carded
    vCash
    Bums on seats will pave the way
    The sunwolves are a disaster but rugby World Cup in Japan and financial backers behind them no problems
    The path is being laid to drop the force in Aus as its admin are hopeless have no idea how to roll up there , their , there 're sleeves and box on telling the ARU to piss if and look at the Rebels or Brumbies this current admin are all week, placed to get jobs at KPMG, Korda Mentha as liquidators as they are a bunch of pathetic little boys that have rolled over without a decent fight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    If a whole bunch of players start signing contracts in Europe and Japan, I don't think we should blame them.
    I certainly wouldn't blame them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I just cant see why a 3 x six team system can't be the most effective solution for an 18 team competition.

South Africa keep their six.

New Zealand gets the Argies

Australia gets Japan

That way you can play a complete home and away in your group and top two from each qualify.

The Argies and Japan go an one massive away tour of five matches (or it could be done in two trips if required) and each other Kiwi and Aussie team only leave the country once.

Auckland to Argie is a direct flight.

Less flights, less travel $$$, more rugby, local derbies back

Or is this too simple??
    Apparently that's what they'll do if South Africa isn't able to get rid of the Kings (according to the report I read, any restructure hinges on what's going on over there). Teams would play home and away in their own conference and then play half the teams in each of the other 2.

vCash
    Super Rugby’s fate appears to rest entirely in the hands of non-rugby people, with broadcasters and South African politicians effectively taking the lead in determining what changes — if any — are made to SANZAAR’s southern hemisphere tournament.

No decision has been taken on whether an Australian team will be axed and, if so, which one. Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver made no mention of which team might be jettisoned — the Western Force, Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels are the franchises most in jeopardy — when he gave a telephone hook-up report to the Super Rugby CEOs yesterday on what transpired at last Friday’s SANZAAR meeting in London. And, significantly, no one asked the question, all of them fearing they might not like the answer.

Perhaps that was for the best because the ARU is seemingly sidelined until there is some resolution from South Africa about what is to be done with the Southern Kings. The African National Congress and the South African government have been strong supporters of the predominantly black Kings but the side has won only three matches out of 18 since coming into the competition last year.

One of the questions to be ascertained, apparently, is how the government would react if SANZAAR moved to jettison it. Like everything else involved in the Super Rugby imbroglio, how the Kings’ fate will be resolved remains a mystery, but certainly Australia rugby is entitled to ask how SANZAAR could call a crisis meeting in London and not have this core issue resolved.

If, as expected, the SA government insists the Kings are not to be touched, then the presumption is that SANZAAR will leave Super Rugby relatively untouched, at least until the next broadcast deal. But one possible change might centre on the competition structure. Instead of the unwieldy four conferences, it could become three conferences of six teams.

More here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...984df58ba073ef

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So a leaked report from South Africa says 16, a leaked report out of NZ says 15, cant we leak reports here in Australia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    cant we leak reports here in Australia?
    Mungo 360 did mention something about "The West Coast Bears" last night.

Name:  Stirring.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  9.8 KB

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I have just spoken to Foxtel and advised them that if one Australian side is cut I will cancel my subscription. Their response was that they supported having 5 teams in Australia and would ensure that this was communicated back to the ARU. I know this is not much, however if supporters of all 3 franchises who have pay TV subscriptions contact Foxtel and make similar statements, they may be more inclined to put more pressure on the ARU to maintain 5 Australian teams.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kept One View Post
    I have just spoken to Foxtel and advised them that if one Australian side is cut I will cancel my subscription. Their response was that they supported having 5 teams in Australia and would ensure that this was communicated back to the ARU. I know this is not much, however if supporters of all 3 franchises who have pay TV subscriptions contact Foxtel and make similar statements, they may be more inclined to put more pressure on the ARU to maintain 5 Australian teams.
    I have been trying to think where/who I could write to about this.. Just to get my support noted somewhere! I might do the same thank you for the idea 😊

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Mungo 360 did mention something about "The West Coast Bears" last night.
    I would have thought if it comes to that their smartest move would be to keep everything, at least initially - name, colours, the lot.

Maybe even a couple of the players...

vCash
    SunWolves, Force, Cheetahs can all grow and contribute to the competition. But the Top League vs SunWolves impasse needs to be solved.

Of all the expansion teams in the league, only the Kings have started with an unenthusiastic whimper. They were the team that nobody wanted, and looking at their attendances, not even the people in the Eastern Cape did. Contrast this to the first games in Tokyo, Argentina and especially Perth, and you can see the groundswell of support is there.

It would be a travesty for any teams to be cut, especially if the Kings survive due to political reasons. Never mind the rand, SANZAAR need to make sure that South Africa's rugby problems are kept in check, because they are hurting Australia now, and eventually New Zealand in the not-so-distant future.

Good god, we're almost better off bringing in the bloody Georgians.

Last edited by chibi; 15-03-17 at 14:24.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I would have thought if it comes to that their smartest move would be to keep everything, at least initially - name, colours, the lot.

Maybe even a couple of the players...
    I don't think they were too serious and the initial bid is to purchase the licence for the Gold Coast from the NRL. But there is a lot of history behind the Bears and if it ever came off I'd be happy to adopt them. Perhaps play in black and gold hoops at home and the traditional red and black ones away?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast