Thread: Nestor Wraps Up Season Three of the Buildcorp NRC

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Nestor Wraps Up Season Three of the Buildcorp NRC

By Fraser Smith
    Tue 25th October 16

The 2016 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) is in the books and the trophy has made it’s way west with the Perth Spirit crowned 2016 Champions after thrilling 20-16 Grand Final win over the NSW Country Eagles in Tamworth on Saturday.

Back when the season started Perth Spirit Head Coach Dwayne Nestor boldly stated “We are going to win the thing”. No one really took notice, with east coast pundits labelling the Spirit’s semi-final and grand final victories upsets but Nestor says they are just happy to have achieved the goals they set at the start of the season.

“You obviously set goals at the start of a program and ours like every other team in the competition was the win the whole thing,” he said.

“A lot of things go on from when you set those goals to the end result but we were lucky enough to get through to the grand final and then to be able to win it was outstanding.”

The Spirit appeared to hit peak form at the right time, finishing the regular season in third position with five wins from seven starts and tallied for consecutive victories on the way to the title.

“I think our season was a building process. The way that we got off on a winning note against the Rising just helped get the ball rolling and gave us confidence in what we were trying to do. After that game the boys realised we were serious about wanting them to take chances, enjoy their rugby and have a crack and they really bought into that.”

“From there it was a building process. The loss to the Rays in Sydney was good for us as a bit of a reality check, then we strung a few wins together and the loss to NSW Country was another reality check especially for our set-piece.

“After getting touched up at the set piece against the Eagles we told ourselves that we had to be better, from there our scrum improved dramatically and we finished off the season with the set piece as one of our major strengths.”

“The biggest thing at occurred over the course of the program was the developing a real self-belief and in that Grand Final it was our self-belief that won it for us.”

A key to building that strong sense of self belief was the inclusion a host of experienced leaders who could guide the less experienced players in the squad.

“We had fantastic leaders in the team. Pek (Cowan) and ‘Tess’ (Heath Tessmann) in the front row, Brynard Stander really stood up and showed the type of player he really is and lead from the front. Ian Prior and Jono Lance are great competitors and steer the ship in the halves, Billy Meakes showed leadership from the get-go and Luke Morahan at the back just gives everyone confidence.”

“We were blessed with the blokes we were able to put on the field who had leadership qualities and experience, they really kept developing that self-belief within the team.”

The Spirit’s title winning season was undoubtedly the result of a huge amount of effort from all the players involved but Nestor highlighted a few players from both the Pindan Premier Grade and the Western Force who really stood out.

“Big Liaone Mulikihaamea had an outstanding season, you could tell he was really enjoying it and he learned so much and improved his scrummaging out of sight.”

“AJ Alatimu’s ability to finish off games for us throughout the season was fantastic. I really felt for AJ, he just missed out on the Grand Final team but I told him ‘whatever success we get, you’ve been a big part of it’. Eric Vasukicakau showed glimpses of brilliance, I don’t think he even realises how good he could be.

“In terms of the Force guys, Bill Meakes was a class above, he was just brilliant. And then Richard Hardwick, he signs a contract with the Force and then is man-of-the-match in the Grand Final, how good of an investment is that? Having those two blokes as new signings for the Force is really exciting.”

Overall season three of the Buildcorp NRC has been hailed as the most even and strongest yet and with the inclusion of a Fijian team for the 2017 season Nestor Says the Spirit can’t wait for it to come around again.

“In certain respects I think this season was the best NRC season that we’ve had. Some teams probably struggled to be as consistent as they would have liked but we had some really good competition to make the top four. NSW Country were the best team throughout the course of the competition and the Rays were outstanding as well.”

“Having Fiji in the competition is going to be awesome and if it works then it could open the door for Samoa and Tonga as well. They will be coming into it with intent and be looking to take that trophy home, so we can’t wait for next season.”

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...-buildcorp-nrc

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I'm just wondering if any of the anti-nestor brigade of petulant parents is willing to put their hand up and say that the man knows nothing about Rugby and couldn't identify talent if it had labels on it?

Waiting

C'mon the

vCash
    Also would be interested to know whether Dave Wessels had much to do with the Spirit this season?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm just wondering if any of the anti-nestor brigade of petulant parents is willing to put their hand up and say that the man knows nothing about Rugby and couldn't identify talent if it had labels on it?

Waiting
    Well ... he DID only pick his favourites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Also would be interested to know whether Dave Wessels had much to do with the Spirit this season?
    Read something today that said he did. Can't remember who said it or where I read it though!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Whether he did or he didn't, the spirit finally lived up to their potential under him. Westie knows a butt load more than me about Rugby in this state and he was vocal about the negative impact Foley had on the spirit. Perhaps keeping out of it and letting rugby players play rugby is the best coaching decision the force has seen in 5 years.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Waiting
    Been pretty quiet lately hasn't it?

Player
    vCash
    One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Small crow for one swallow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    One swallow doesn't make a summer.
    I get that, but it's the closest to a summer the Force has been in 11 years, so in this case, how would anybody know what makes a summer?

The swallow isn't freezing it's berries off, so I'd say it's pretty warm!

C'mon the