Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fiji will join NRC in 2017, Super Rugby looms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    If that's a national 2nd XV, I wonder if that means the players will get a cap and confirm Fijian eligibility?
    Nope they have to play against a test team or another national 2nd XV.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    There is still a lot of antagonism towards the NRC in Sydney Clubland. Dunno about Qld. Perhaps this (and maybe Samoa/Tonga next) is just what is needed to give the thing a kick along in those areas.
    The Sydney clubs are softening their stance towards the NRC. The Rams in Western Sydney drove a lot of the Pacific Islander theme rounds and activities. It will continue to get support as long as the quality of the competition keeps improving. Im just glad the ARU is sticking to its guns and not pandering to archaic ideologies of the established strongholds.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If the Sydney clubs manage to get their heads around how the NRC can benefit them, I expect it will all become their idea before too long.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    they hate the fact the Shute Shield isn't seen as the major wallaby pathway anymore.
    Too true,

On Rugby 360 this week, Nick Phipps suggested that the NRC filled the Gap between Shute Shield and Super Rugby...I guess being from New South Wales, he doesn't realise there is a Qld Premier Rugby/Pindan Premier League, Dewar Shield, ACT Club Rugby or even SA Club Rugby.

No wonder they see themselves as the major nursery for rugby talent in Australia, they don't even credit the existence of Sydney Subbies.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Too true,

On Rugby 360 this week, Nick Phipps suggested that the NRC filled the Gap between Shute Shield and Super Rugby...I guess being from New South Wales, he doesn't realise there is a Qld Premier Rugby/Pindan Premier League, Dewar Shield, ACT Club Rugby or even SA Club Rugby.

No wonder they see themselves as the major nursery for rugby talent in Australia, they don't even credit the existence of Sydney Subbies.
    Isn't Subbies both a lower standard than Shute Shield, as well as non professional?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Isn't Subbies both a lower standard than Shute Shield, as well as non professional?
    Yes. Went sort of semi pro for a while but that has been changed by regulation.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I was just trying to highlight the arrogant assumption that there was only one rugby competition feeding players into super rugby.

Subbies might not add to the Sr rugby ranks very often (if ever) but it's at least a possibility. Perhaps I should have chosen the schoolboys comps as the subject of my hyperbole, because they are quite a large contributor.

C'mon the

vCash
    Too true,

Case and point right there - that's the attitude of a lot of the players and power brokers at the ARU. they seem to think the NRC devalues their competition - even though there was no way the Shute shield could be financially viable of it was expanded into a national competition. It's the old Boys looking out for the old boys... (similar parallels could be made about federal parliament... but I digress)

I don't blame Phipps personally though. There isn't room enough in his tiny tiny brain to remember all the competitions.

vCash
    Interesting quote from the boss of RUPA in this article:

Fiji to join National Rugby Championship in bid to shake 'poor cousin' tag

"Who knows, maybe this Fijian NRC side can be the incubator for a professional Pacific Islands team to play Super Rugby in 2018, alongside the Sunwolves and the 10 Australian and New Zealand teams in a 12-team competition."

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Too true,

Phipps was just looking for a medical 15 to field in the shute shield

Last edited by Tonkar; 15-10-16 at 15:01.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Interesting quote from the boss of RUPA in this article:

Very

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2