Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: NRC Finals 15th October 2016

Senior Player
    vCash
    Anybody in Sydney keen on going this weekend?

Cheap trains and cheap accomodation, be good to go with a fellow force fan. Contact me on 0422 653 489 if interested.

Cheers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Piggies Piggies Piggies.....Oink Oink Oink!!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Stringer was good too...one of those silent worker bee types.
    Yeah. Too bad he's not 10kg heavier and a bit taller.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Buy your tickets here Gates open around 2.30pm wth Big Screens for the Wallaroos v Black ferns and Bledisloe Test

http://www.wtlc.com.au/tickets-sales

vCash
    Average Ruck Involvements

I've looked at all of the Ruck Involvement numbers for the NRC games leading up to the Final on Saturday.
    Unfortunately I have no access to other statistics such as carries, tackles, Line Out Wins or Turn Overs Won.

Call me old-fashioned but IMO Forwards are on the field for their key involvement at the set piece and their defensive game.
    The Back Row provide most of the go-forward, but a ball carrying tight 5 player is an added bonus.

I expect to see the Front Row get involved in pick-and-drives, mauls and the tough stuff around the park.
    If they are also ball carriers then it should be hard yards up the guts rather than sea-gulling out on the wing.
    They should be applying their bulk when needed at the breakdown.
    Because of the pace of the NRC this will be most often in support of their own ball carriers.
    The faster Front Rowers are still involved in Defence Rucks - even in the NRC.

Name:  2016-10-19_12-33-25.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  54.8 KB

The Locks generally play a bit wider and close to where the Backs are making their runs.
    They often get caught up in offensive play. The best are strong ball carriers and difficult to stop.
    They usually strongly support their own ball carriers.
    The better Locks can be effective in putting pressure on the opposition ball carriers.

Name:  2016-10-19_12-33-45.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  27.9 KB

The Back Row should be quick enough to be leaders in putting pressure on the opposition ball carriers while supporting their own team in attack.

Name:  2016-10-19_12-34-02.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  51.0 KB

I've excluded players who have yet to start or have mostly been off the bench.
    However, one player off the bench is worthy of a special mention. Hadleigh May applied a high work rate every time he stepped onto the field. His ruck involvements were at an equivalent 80 minute average of 45 Total (27 Attack/17 defence). It was gut-wrenching to see him come off injured after his first start for the season. Any word on the injury?

The Spirit had the benefit of some Backs who are very active at the breakdown.
    These include:
    Eric Vasukicakau - Best 16T (14A/2D)
    Billy Meakes - Best 14T (5A/9D)
    Ben Tapuai - Best 14T (9A/5D)
    Manihera Eden - Best 10T (7A/3D)
    Marcelle Brache and Ian Prior regularly clock up some strong ruck involvements.

The Spirit has shown a focus on maintaining the defensive line with breakdown involvement usually left to the fastest/most mobile of the forwards. Player support for the ball carrier seems to average just over 2 players per ruck (SR2016 average about 2.5). The Perth Spirit has been standing off >30% of the Defence Rucks but hitting rucks in the opposition's "red zone" with a lot of numbers - averaging close to 0.9 player per DR (SR2016 average about 0.75).

Despite the pace of the NRC game, winning the breakdown is still an essential part of the game and one area where the Perth Spirit has more than held it's own.

The match officials will be trying to keep the NRC as a showcase of running and high-scoring rugby.
    The Spirit will need to continue to win the breakdowns against the NSWC Eagles and legally disrupt their desire for quick ball. I say legally as the Spirit can ill-afford Yellow Card penalties.
    The Eagles have the ability to score quickly and had 50 more points differential than the Spirit over the regular season.

More excited about the NRC Final in Tamworth than the Bled 3 game!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 19-10-16 at 12:30.

vCash
    Great work as always Andrew!
    Would love to see a backrow with both Koteka and Hardwick playing for the final. I think they'd complemkent each other nicely and would put a lot of pressure on the opposition rucks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Me too Andrew! I'Ve loved every minute of the NRC season!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14