Thread: Lealiifano diagnosed with Leukaemia

Senior Player
    vCash

Lealiifano diagnosed with Leukaemia

Lealiifano diagnosed with Leukaemia

AAP on August 6, 2016, 9:24 am

Wallabies back Christian Lealiifano has been diagnosed with Leukaemia.

The Brumbies co-captain, who was not named in the Wallabies squad on Friday is currently in hospital receiving treatment.

The Brumbies said, in a statement, that after a brief illness, investigations revealed the disease.

"At the moment it's just a matter of ensuring Christian receives the best care and support he can at this time," Brumbies chief Phil Thomson said.

"He is one of the most respected players within this group and this news has come as a huge shock to all of our players, coaches and staff.

"Everyone knows that Christian is an amazing young man, an important member of this team and of the Canberra community."

ARU boss Bill Pulver, who is in Rio to watch the Aussie Sevens team at the Olympics also gave Lealiifano his full support.

"We were shocked to receive the news of Christian's diagnosis yesterday and our thoughts are firmly with him as he begins his treatment,"Pulver said via a statement.

"Anyone who has ever had any involvement with Christian knows he is an outstanding young man, as well as being an exceptionally talented rugby player, and the ARU will do whatever it can to support Christian and his family now and throughout his treatment."
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ukaemia/#page1

I wish all the best to Christian and his family and hopefully he has a quick and speedy recovery and we see him back on the field as soon as possible.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by volvo; 06-08-16 at 11:15.

vCash
    Shocked to hear the news, thoughts and prayers with him and his family

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    FFS! Fuck cancer.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    I'm So sorry to hear this I hope he will be ok.. Tough time ahead for him and his family

Player
    vCash
    Well that's shit news. I hope he pulls through and we see him back in a Rugby field.

vCash
    Awful news. Hoping to see a speedy recovery.

vCash
    Awww shit that's sad news. Just had a son too. All the best to Christian and his family 😔

Champion
    vCash
    Shocking news Hope it turns out ok for him

Senior Player
    vCash
    David Pocock, Matt Giteau, Will Genia and Matt Toomua shave their heads to support Christian Lealiifano

TAKE a bow, David Pocock, Matt Giteau, Will Genia and Matt Toomua.

The four Wallabies stars will run out for the Rugby Championship opener against New Zealand on Saturday with shaved heads in honour of Christian Lealiifano after his leukaemia diagnosis.

Lealiifano, who played for Australia in their 3-0 Test series defeat by England, is currently undergoing chemotherapy in a Canberra hospital after the news of his illness was revealed two weeks ago.

The 28-year-old Lealiifano has been inundated with messages of support from all over the world in the past fortnight, and he’s sure to be touched by the gesture of his Wallabies teammates.

Many players in Michael Cheika’s squad have visited Lealiifano in hospital in the past couple of weeks ahead of their bid to end Australia’s 13-year Bledisloe Cup drought.

“He (Lealiifano) is one of us, one of the boys, so he’s always in our thoughts and our prayers,” Genia said.

“He’s a good bloke, so the guys will definitely have him in their thoughts when we get out there on Saturday.”

Giteau said “it’s the least we could do. Always thinking of you” in a message on Twitter.

Pocock took to Twitter to show off an image of himself and Toomua with their bald heads.

Pocock had earlier this month tweeted his devastation at the news of Lealiifano’s illness.

Australian captain Stephen Moore, who like Pocock plays alongside Lealiifano at the Brumbies, said the Wallabies support of their stricken teammate is unconditional.

“When someone goes through this type of thing I think it’s important for everyone to get around them and that’s going to continue right throughout however long this takes for him to shake it,” Moore said.

“We’re really behind him 100 per cent and we’re there for him all the time. Different people handle it differently and once again being part of a team you have that support network around you and we know that Christian’s been a great friend and a great teammate for all of us here. We’re travelling the entire journey with him.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/da...c3d484acd6ab2d

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Congratulations to Lealiifano who won the brumbies players player award and the best back award for the brumbies. After what has happened to him he deserves this.

Brett Robinson Player’s Player Award – Christian Lealiifano
    Best Back – Christian Lealiifano
    Best Forward – Sam Carter
    Stallion of the Year, Supporters’ Choice – Scott Fardy
    Shawn Mackay Most Outstanding Young Talent – Tom Staniforth
    Canberra Milk Community Player – Robbie Abel
    Garry Quinlivan Service – Deon Norval

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Christian Lealiifano set for bone marrow transplant after positive match with sister

AAP

CHRISTIAN Lealiifano will receive a bone-marrow transplant from his sister as he continues his recovery from leukaemia.

The Wallabies and Brumbies star is preparing for the transplant next month having undergone two rounds of chemotherapy after being diagnosed in August.

“Luckily enough for me my younger sister is a match,” Lealiifano told the ABC.

“For the family, that is quite a special thing and for your sister to give you the gift of trying to save your life, it’s quite special.”

The playmaker has accepted he may never play rugby again even if he fully recovers, despite admitting his diagnosis had come as a “big shock”.

“I hope one day to be able to run out there on the field, whether that be club footy,” he said.

“If not, I’m happy to accept that as well.”

The world sporting community rallied around Lealiifano after his diagnosis in August.

He acknowledged the next period of his treatment would be a daily battle.

“I’ve had two treatments of chemotherapy which have pretty much put me in remission going into this transplant,” he said.

“Both bouts I got infections ... because you’ve got no immune system.”

But he was positive the transplant would be successful.

“I’m young, pretty fit and I’ve got a suitable match,” he said.

“One thing they can’t guarantee is that everyone will be cured, but it gives you every chance of beating it.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ch...8b42117ed5e0ef

Keep fighting the battle Christian. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

vCash
    It's a really tough & scary fight to have to face, glad that he has plenty of family and mates to give support. Go hard Chris.