Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hayne, ARU discuss full-time rugby switch

vCash

Hayne, ARU discuss full-time rugby switch

Jarryd Hayne has reportedly met the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) about a possible switch to the NSW Waratahs in a move that could ruin the Eels' chances of getting their elite star back into the NRL at Parramatta.

After failing to make the cut for Fiji's Olympic sevens team for the Rio Games, it was widely expected the ex-San Francisco 49ers' NFL player would return to the Eels.

However, according to Fairfax Media, Hayne met ARU boss Bill Pulver in Sydney on Wednesday to discuss the prospect of joining fellow code-hopper Israel Folau at the Waratahs in Super Rugby. The meeting was convened at Hayne's request despite the fact his Fijian allegiance rules him out of playing for the Wallabies.

That would lessen the chances of the ARU, already under financial pressure, topping up his Super Rugby salary unless a new precedent was set.

"We have had dialogue with Jarryd and discussed the potential opportunities available to him in rugby," Pulver said.

"Jarryd is obviously a very high-calibre athlete and we are always open to talking to a player who is genuinely interested in playing the game."
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-switch/#page1

If hayne gets to play for the warratahs with a salary top up then it shows the ARU are just a joke... Some rules for the east and nothing for the West

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I read that in the Telecrap yesterday and because of that, dismissed it. It would be a first - paying a non eligible, Australian born player a top-up. I wonder if that is even covered by any protocols or whether the ARU just has open slather. He won't be the first Australian born "Foreign Marquee" though. Steve Mafi is in that boat. It seems ridiculous and should have been exempted for PI players long ago. Maybe the ARU will try that road for Hayne?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Plenty of Australian born players playing for other countries Shasta. It works in favour of the minnows in the current arrangement, because they can residency qualify anybody they like therefore covering possible holes in their roster.

Where it sucks is the ability to have locally born players return to their national team when they are no longer used by a tier one team who has used them and they no longer play international rugby.

Unfortunately, with the way International Rugby goes, I can imagine that will only work in favour of New Zealand, who seem to have a legitimate claim on anybody who plays rugby in the Southern Hemisphere, thereby (admittedly) freeing up PI players who have gleefully accepted their one All Black cap to go back and play for their country of birth, but the reverse is also true, making it possible for the AllBlacks to raid the PI teams of their best talent virtually at will.

Although there are sucky bits about the current setup, I think it's the better option.

C'mon the

vCash
    The meeting was convened at Hayne's request

It's his manager parading him to all and sundry in the hope that the NRL will throw him a few sheckels more.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Plenty of Australian born players playing for other countries Shasta. It works in favour of the minnows in the current arrangement, because they can residency qualify anybody they like therefore covering possible holes in their roster.

Where it sucks is the ability to have locally born players return to their national team when they are no longer used by a tier one team who has used them and they no longer play international rugby.

Unfortunately, with the way International Rugby goes, I can imagine that will only work in favour of New Zealand, who seem to have a legitimate claim on anybody who plays rugby in the Southern Hemisphere, thereby (admittedly) freeing up PI players who have gleefully accepted their one All Black cap to go back and play for their country of birth, but the reverse is also true, making it possible for the AllBlacks to raid the PI teams of their best talent virtually at will.

Although there are sucky bits about the current setup, I think it's the better option.
    I get all that. The problem I see is with SR qualification.
    Mafi chose to play for Tonga. So be it. But how can a governing body rule that this makes it impossible to ply his trade in his country of birth? If tested in the courts it might well be ruled an illegal restraint of trade.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    World Rugby didn't make that rule, ARU did

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    World Rugby didn't make that rule, ARU did
    Yes. Nobody said the IRB made the rule, far as I can see

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    oh god, hayne chat here as well..

there is legitimately nowhere in my social media presence that is immune to this disease.

vCash
    I believe they call him the "Hayne Mobile".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by F Man View Post
    I believe they call him the "Hayne Mobile".
    he's got more coverage than telstra that's for sure!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yes. Nobody said the IRB made the rule, far as I can see
    Sorry, I guess that means I'm on the wrong soapbox.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    ARU won't pay for Hayne to switch to rugby
    Adrian Warren - AAP on July 21, 2016, 5:45 pm

Jarryd Hayne has been pitched a potentially lucrative rugby union scenario involving Super Rugby and the Japanese competition, but the ARU is adamant it won't be contributing financially to any deal.

Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver has held talks with Hayne and his manager Wayne Beavis this week in Sydney.

The former Parramatta NRL and San Francisco NFL player has yet to decide which code and side he will play for in 2017, following his unsuccessful attempt to make Fiji's Olympic sevens rugby squad.

Representing Fiji in the final leg of the World Series sevens tournament rendered Hayne ineligible to play for the Wallabies and an ARU financial top-up.

Pulver expressed interest in having Hayne come across to the 15-a-side game and was enthusiastic about his abilities, but ruled out the ARU having any financial input.

He made it clear the ARU would not look outside the top-up or establish a precedent by finding some other method of paying Hayne.

The ARU would, however, have to sign off on any contract Hayne agreed on with a Super Rugby franchise.

Pulver said he had the feeling Hayne was genuinely interested in playing rugby rather than using their discussions as leverage to force a bigger deal with a NRL club.

He said he had spoken to Hayne and Beavis about the possibility of the talented athlete signing a deal allowing him to play for an Australian Super side and a Japanese team.

Pulver felt that would be more practical for Hayne than switching between Australia and Europe, where the season overlapped with the Super Rugby schedule.

NSW Waratahs' five-eighth Bernard Foley has already played back-to-back seasons in Australia and Japan, while two other leading Wallabies, flanker David Pocock and fullback Israel Folau, have similar agreements locked in for the future.

The ARU boss said a multiple-season deal combining Super and Japanese rugby would be a pretty lucrative option for Hayne.

He said they would have more discussions and he expected Hayne to make a decision in the next few months.

Hayne has been linked to the Waratahs, although a NSW Rugby Union spokesperson said on Thursday Hayne had not yet held any talks with their organisation.

The Waratahs are believed to be more concerned about whether Hayne would be a good fit for them as opposed to his asking price.

NSW coach Daryl Gibson and senior players, including Folau and fellow Wallaby Dean Mumm, have all said in recent weeks they would be interested in Hayne joining their franchise.

Pulver confirmed five-eighth Quade Cooper and the ARU had reached a three-year heads of agreement for the former Wallaby No.10 to return to Australia following his stint with French club Toulon.

He said a formal deal with Cooper would be signed once the pivot decided which team he wanted to play for.

Cooper's former side the Queensland Reds and the Melbourne Rebels are believed to be the main candidates, with Pulver delighted to have the talented playmaker back in the Australian fold.
    From https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...o-rugby/#page1

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    No Super Rugby for Hayne: ARU chief

By Vince Rugari - AAP on July 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

The Waratahs announced earlier this week they would not be offering Hayne a contract and Pulver revealed the code-hopper and his management had made clear to the ARU his preference to remain in NSW - meaning approaches from any other Australian franchises wouldn't be entertained.

"That bird's probably flown," Pulver told Fox Sports News.

"There was an initial dialogue prompted by (Hayne's management) to see whether there was any opportunity to get into Australian rugby.

"He made it very clear up front his preference was to live in NSW, so we were just responding to the feedback he gave us.

"The Waratahs roster was pretty well full, so I think that opportunity's gone."

Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore described Hayne as a "quick fix" and said it was a "watershed" moment for the province that they decided not to go down that path.

Hayne had approached the ARU to discuss the possibility of a switch to the 15-man code, but there have been suspicions in some rugby circles that the former Parramatta Eels star was using them in an attempt to drive up his asking price.

Reports on Thursday suggest Hayne could end up playing rugby after all - for French glamour club Toulon, who are said to be interested in signing the 28-year-old along with Top 14 rivals Clermont and Racing Metro.

"You're a little concerned when there are media waiting outside a meeting that has been organised by them," Pulver said.

"I guess that was a little bit of an issue.

"But at the end of the day, there's a chance he is signing up to play rugby in France.

"Certainly, the conversation I had was there was genuine interest in our game."

Hayne's hopes of a big contract offer from the ARU were essentially dashed the moment he ran out for Fiji in the London Sevens earlier this year.

That made him instantly ineligible to represent Australia and to receive Wallaby top-up payments from the ARU that would have supplemented his Super Rugby earnings.

"We wouldn't stump up any money - he can't play for the Wallabies, sadly. Four minutes for Fiji in a London event pretty well ruled that out," Pulver said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-pulver/#page1

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore described Hayne as a "quick fix" and said it was a "watershed" moment for the province that they decided not to go down that path.
    Converting that into tinfoil hat-speak

Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore described Hayne as "a player we could only afford if the ARU changed the rules for us" and said that it was "as surprising as hell that that hadn't happened"

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Toulon sounds like the perfect fit for him.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast