Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARU wipes $3m as Force bailout begins

vCash
    last question Mr X - are you my Father?[/QUOTE]

Yes Exile!

A point that interests me greatly. The ARU don't take full control until August? I believe (and you may correct me at any time Hansie) the whole board was not aware that Foley was being sacked that day? In fact that many staff members were taken by surprise? If we aren't under ARU control would that not mean the whole board would have needed to be in on this move?

I am also not suggesting that we will 100% be folding in 2020, but that with the ARU now (in August) in full control, it really won't matter what happens on or off field. If they need to close a franchise it will be us and no one need be consulted about it. Personally as a club that was started with much help from the general public (the members myself included), to have lost control like this is a shame.

The power struggle as the last TV rights deal was hashed out, shows that SA and NZ hold the power. If they then feel the want to have more teams and the AUS conference stays as weak as it appears to be, which of the AUS teams do think will go? The Tahs or Reds? The Brums who seem to top our conference most of late? Or the privately owned Rebs who have the backing of Fox? It may well be a long time before 2020, but the ground work is well placed that if it happens there really isn't too much to think about. (hope to be proven wrong)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Because it's all apart of a 15 year ARU conspiracy to destroy Rugby in WA
    THAT'S RIGHT, and everybody knows the best way to destroy rugby in WA is to grant them a license for a team in the premier provincial ruby competition in the world!

Bastards!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    The ARU took over all staff payments and effectively control a wee while back. August 1 date allows time to have all details covered. This is an alliance, this not the ARU taking us over. They need Rugby in WA to thrive, to isolate the board or community is sheer suicide. This model is not unlike the one in N.Z. where the NZRU can help teams with the movement of players or allocation of resources to make them competitive and raise game attendances. Your board is amazing. The skill levels and application is such that Bill Pulver acknowledged we are the best. This also means that if some board members are overseas, as was the case, it's not possible to get all directors informed simultaneously. I take on board your comment regarding the surprise of Staff members and in a round a bout way, put this in the same basket as when our financial circumstances were leaked in Sydney and not in Perth back in March. It means your board can work together and maintain confidentiality.

With the ARU liable for financial aspects of the Force and it is well known success on the field equals $$$ ( Just look at the Perth Glory) The ARU will need to do whatever it can to improve our on field results. Otherwise the Stadium will be empty, the team playing shirts without logos and hence zero dollars. No, the ARU won't provide us with the cattle to win the championship next year, but their intention is learn from us what it needs to succeed in Perth and help us in our quest to be competitive, dangerous and exciting.

SA and NZ will always have influence. Look at the viewing numbers, where would you advertise your gadget? In front of 50,000 Australian viewers or 500,000 SAFFAS? Globally the interest in Super Rugby is growing, so SANZAR are continually exploring options. It's possible in 4 years we could go to Super 20, it's unlikely we'll drop from 5 teams. Interest in the USA and Canada is growing, U.K. viewer numbers have increased, I think it would be a very game person to predict the demise of rugby in Australia, bear in mind the increase in the Media Deal last year from the previous contract was 148%, what could it be in 2020?

All I ask is this. Don't be influenced by media. They seek sensationalism, bad news, like the Force folding and coaches getting sacked and boards being irrelevant gets attention, good news doesn't. Ask yourself how much media attention was given to the fact that a predominantly WA Community Rugby Side beat a Predominantly Super 18 rugby Side in Mauritius last month? And that a Community rugby player got Man of the Tournament ( Not man of the match!). Have a look a the number of Home grown West Australians now included in the Force and one in fact played Wallabies last month. Watch the upcoming NRC and from the sideline at McGilvray experience our talent and get close to the Koteka's. Scobles, Haylett-Pettys, Hardwicks, Rurus and others. Our community Rugby is right up there.

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My concern isn't so much the Force being closed up by the ARU but its more that the failure of the Super 18 competition may cause the Force to be shut down.
    I know I'm not the only one to have cut down on the games I used to watch and I don't believe that's just because of some poor showings by the Aussie teams. All the derbys are getting boaring, bar the kiwi games! The way that some of the top teams won't get a chance to play in the finals due to the pools system leaves me cold.
    I will carry on going to the Force and support them but I'm only going for the love of the game and not the competition!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Watch the upcoming NRC and from the sideline at McGilvray experience our talent and get close to the Koteka's. Scobles, Haylett-Pettys, Hardwicks, Rurus and others. Our community Rugby is right up there.
    I would love to but I'll be down at Brittania with a few hundred other parents watching a few hundred kids play at the scheduled NRC 11am kickoff time.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    last question Mr X - are you my Father?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Yes Exile!
    Daddy!!!!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Daddy!!!!
    well that's disturbing

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I would love to but I'll be down at Brittania with a few hundred other parents watching a few hundred kids play at the scheduled NRC 11am kickoff time.
    as far as I am aware,none of the home games are scheduled at 11am.
    opening time at your local probably is

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    as far as I am aware,none of the home games are scheduled at 11am.
    opening time at your local probably is
    The first game on 27 Aug is here at 11am.

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/pe...016-nrc-season

vCash
    Waratah Salary cap is some $2.5mil more than ours. It is now in the best interests financially for the ARU to help with talent as they now have financial control. These are just some aspects your RugbyWa has had to deal with.
    Hansie

Great to see your contributions.

Would appreciate your clarification on this point.

My understanding is that the Salary Cap is equal for all of the 5 Australian Teams: $4.5 Million + $0.5 Million in additional sponsorship.

The Waratahs may get the benefit of additional player remuneration through ARU top-ups and special deals (such as Folau) but their Salary Cap remains the same.

This area is of interest to me and have posted previously about creating an "even playing field".

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    The first game on 27 Aug is here at 11am.

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/pe...016-nrc-season

i stand corrected(not for the first time)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    i stand corrected(not for the first time)
    Keep on trucking BDG as it can happen to the best of us.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Hansie

Great to see your contributions.

Would appreciate your clarification on this point.

My understanding is that the Salary Cap is equal for all of the 5 Australian Teams: $4.5 Million + $0.5 Million in additional sponsorship.

The Waratahs may get the benefit of additional player remuneration through ARU top-ups and special deals (such as Folau) but their Salary Cap remains the same.

This area is of interest to me and have posted previously about creating an "even playing field".
    I am not totally up to speed on the salary caps but I understand, for example, the Tahs get approx. $2.5 million extra for their Wallaby top ups.

vCash
    I am not totally up to speed on the salary caps but I understand, for example, the Tahs get approx. $2.5 million extra for their Wallaby top ups.
    Then either their coach has no idea what he's talking about (in the Jarryd Hayne beat-up, re player payments). Or they have a very creative CFO at the Tahs.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Then either their coach has no idea what he's talking about (in the Jarryd Hayne beat-up, re player payments). Or they have a very creative CFO at the Tahs.
    I suggest that Gibson doesn't know what he's talking about.

The ARU have selected 20-30 Wallabies (we'll never know the exact number because it's secret but the ARU are trying to reduce the number. Hence one reason why players are moving off-shore.) who get a Wallabies top-up in addition to their payment under each club's salary cap. Currently the Force has only Ben McCalman getting a top-up. I've been informed that the ARU has no plans to make the amount of player payments via Wallabies top-ups public info.

In addition, the ARU has special provisions for "Code Hoppers" who are believed to add both supporters from League and in attracting future players. (e.g. Hunt, Folau etc.)

There are then any number of "special" deals available especially if you are with the Reds or the Waratahs. e.g. Cooper.

One surprising deal made this year was for Folau who is believed to get close to $1M per year. This was his 3rd contract since swapping from League. He reportedly only costs the Waratahs <$200k from their Salary Cap.

Hence my previous thread about the non even playing field.

Last edited by andrewg; 02-07-16 at 09:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast