Thread: Force face battle to keep Mathewson

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force face battle to keep Mathewson

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    June 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

A question mark hangs over the future of Western Force scrum-half Alby Mathewson with French division two club Provence claiming that the former All Black will be joining them next season.

Mathewson joined the Force as a marque signing on a two-year deal in 2012 and the contract was extended for two more years.

Former coach Michael Foley had been pushing the Australian Rugby Union to grant a further extension and while the Force say they have not heard anything from Provence, Mathewson has not been included in the squad for next Saturday’s clash with the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.

If Mathewson does leave the Force may look at Brumbies No.9 Michael Dowsett who has been stuck behind Nic White and now Argentinian recruit Tomas Cubelli in Canberra.

And with third string scrum half Joe Powell getting a call-up to the Wallabies, where Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham is Michael Cheika’s assistant, Dowsett is said to be looking for a move.

However, the Force may take the local option and bring in Perth Spirit and Nedlands’ scrum-half Michael Ruru who won the player of the tournament award when the Force took out last weekend’s World Club 10s title in Mauritius.

Meanwhile the Force are battling to keep centre Kyle Godwin.

It has been no secret that both the Brumbies and Waratahs have been chasing the 23-year-old with the ACT side Brumbies now favourite to snare the local product.

Godwin made noises about a move under Foley but his sacking may have come too late for the Force with Godwin not prepared to wait and see who replaces him.

Godwin would be an ideal replacement at the Brumbies for Wallabies centre Matt Toomua who has signed for English heavyweights Leicester next season.

Flanker Chris Alcock, Foley’s first signing when he took over at the Force, is also likely to head to the Brumbies.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...eep-mathewson/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Is Nick smoking crack?

Michael Dowsett? One, he is useless. Two, he is the third choice option at the Brumbies. Why would we recruit him when we have two pretty good options in Prior and Louwrens and two other options with a heck of a lot of potential in Michael Ruru and Angus Taylor?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is Nick smoking crack?

Michael Dowsett? One, he is useless. Two, he is the third choice option at the Brumbies. Why would we recruit him when we have two pretty good options in Prior and Louwrens and two other options with a heck of a lot of potential in Michael Ruru and Angus Taylor?
    I don't know what drugs he takes but I think Dowsett was simply thrown up as an option as was Ruru to fill a spot left by Alby. Not necessarily as the first choice pick. I don't think he's that bad actually and he has a pretty good pass. I'd like to see Ruru given a chance but I also think Louwrens has to lift his game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!