• SCOTT Wisemantel

5 1.89%
  • Brian SMITH

3 1.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: New Coach Speculation Thread.

vCash
    The West reporting short list down to six and interviews to commence.

Includes Wessels and Mulvihill

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Doesn't appear to be much speculation according to the West online:

"Western Force interim coach Dave Wessels has emerged as the favourite to lead the ailing Super Rugby side next season.

It is understood the Force are finalising contract negotiations with Wessels and an announcement is planned for next week.

Wessels was senior assistant and defence consultant under previous coach Michael Foley and took charge for the final three games of 2016 when Foley was sacked in the wake of a horrid campaign.

At 34, Wessels would be the youngest coach in Super Rugby — and is a year younger than captain Matt Hodgson, who has yet to renew his contract.

The new coach faces a massive task, needing to turn the Force into play-off contenders after 11 seasons without a finals appearance and to prove their relevance to Super Rugby as SANZAAR reviews the tournament format.

There had been calls for a high-profile appointment who could be a drawcard for future recruitment and the Australian Rugby Union was said to be supporting the Force in that area as part of its recent takeover of the club.

There are still about six vacancies in the Force squad for next season.

Wessels has intimate knowledge of the problems associated with attracting players from the Eastern States and also the impact of the club’s on-field performances.

Wessels joined the Force in 2013 after spells as defence consultant with the Stormers and Brumbies.

He was also assistant coach of the University of Cape Town varsity side.

He joined the Force with backs and attack coach Kevin Foote, who was head coach at the University of Cape Town.

Both were re-signed in 2015 as part of a package when Foley’s contract was extended.

Wessels has a year left on his Force contract, but Foote’s deal ends this year and a new coach will need to get his assistants in place as a priority.

It is understood a number of candidates for the job included overseas interest from former Force assistant John Mulvihill, coach at Kintetsu in Japan, and Chiefs legend and former All Black back-rower Jonno Gibbes, who is currently forwards coach at French Top 14 club Clermont.

Australia under-20 coach Adrian Thompson and a leading Shute Shield coach are also understood to have been on the final list, but former Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer, who was keen to kick start his coaching career, did not make the short-list."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...h-force/#page1

It appears relocation costs were high on the selection criteria.

vCash
    If that's the way it goes I won't bother renewing my membership and I won't be surprised if its announced a couple of months into the season that they are going to disband the Force.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    We are gone!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Red Carded
    vCash
    This is the drum that's beating
    There can be no excuse for this outcome other than Australian rugby as a whole is still back in the nineties
    The other codes have moved with the times and technology where the ARU have stood still
    There is no point in whinging other than to move with your wallet and not renew your membership
    This gives you the choice to select visiting teams that are worth seeing and to leave the stands empty when underperforming teams which will send a message to the force and the ARU
    It would be better to enjoy Friday night AFL or NRL and spend your money on a night out with the family
    There is no excuse for this lack of imagination or effort to select a coach who will take the team and fans to another level other than complacentcy arrogance laziness and contempt for the player group and fan base
    Sorry I should have just mentioned Sinderberry

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    gee sevenmile,that goodbye didn't last long!
    yes it certainly looks like we are being set up to fail;of course the conundrum is if no one turns up for the matches,it gives the ARU the perfect excuse to dump the Force

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    gee sevenmile,that goodbye didn't last long!
    yes it certainly looks like we are being set up to fail;of course the conundrum is if no one turns up for the matches,it gives the ARU the perfect excuse to dump the Force
    I quote Westie man my self imposed exile is over unquote
    BDG you can't honestly say you pay your membership to go and watch that shit week in and week out
    The force fans can cut and paste there comments year in year out
    You must have landed head first on a skiff after jumping off Days bay wharf BDG

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    jumping off days bay wharf was my forte in my youth,those row boats were bombed continually!

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    jumping off days bay wharf was my forte in my youth,those row boats were bombed continually!
    Come on BDG you would have been over the road feeding the ducks
    A boy from Eastbourne wouldn't fit in with the trash from over the hill

vCash
    I have no issue with Wessels being appointed coach, he could be the second Wessels to make a positive footprint on the Australian sporting scene, the first being Kepler.

As the article suggests he is aware of the current issues and is a connection to South African youth playing stocks.

He is passionate about the Force and his rugby.

Realistically did anyone truly think any high profile coach would want this gig, look how Cheika walked out of negotiations to go the Tahs while he was still in Perth being interviewed a few years back.

Looking at the criteria the Force showed us at the members meeting he certainly looks the fit.

Of the candidates mentioned in this article I have no issue with Wessels being chosen above them.

This is not the time for any us to be deserting, it is time to knuckle down with all involved to ensure that the Force survives and we give the ARU no further reasons to do away with us.

My hope moving forward is to see Dave and the Force succeed and Hodgo to be onboarded as an assistant coach when his playing days are at an end.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Apprentice
    vCash
    Concerned - I'm keepin me powder dry until the actual announcement!

vCash
    If it is announced that Wessels is the man I think you can take that as a precursor for the closing down of the Force. It looks as though they have gone for the cheapest option.
    I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong but it just doesn't feel right or that they (ARU) are trying to do the best for the Force.

May the FORCE be with you!

Red Carded
    vCash
    You don't send a toddler to wipe a mans arse
    This wessels is a joke
    His age is the first mistake he is more likely to be there mate than a mentor
    Nathan Brown at St George was the last time any professional sport tried that and look how that turned out
    You don't necessarily need to have played for your country to have coached but at least have done an apprenticeship under a successful coach
    This is a selection based upon a fall guy scenario
    And hodgo isn't the answer it is time for a complete clean out to refresh the outfit and give the fans some hope

Senior Player
    vCash
    First of all Australian rugby has no money. The reds went with their assistant Stiles as their coach and the Tahs last year went with Daryl Gibson, their assistant as their coach, not really 'high profile' and these are supposed to be the two powerhouses of rugby in Australia.

Secondly Dave Wessels age and experience may actually be a positive aspect. No one knows what he is like as a head coach (a few weeks at the end of the super rugby is not a true reflection on his ability) and what he brings to the table. He could very much be a surprise package and will bring new fresh ideas to the force. A younger coach also means that if he is successful he is more likely to stick around for a good 5 or 6 years.

Thirdly the decision is not made by a bunch of idiots. The people involved are the ARU high performance unit (look at the players in bill meakes and rona who we have signed), Scott Staniforth (a previous player who understands what the force are like and what they need as he was previously a player, and also understands a players perspective of what a coach needs to be like) and Mark Sinderberry who if you have actually listened to him speak he is very knowledgeable in the subject of rugby.

Sinderberry at the last meeting did say that it is not just the head coach that will make a difference. He said it is about everyone working as a team, giving more support to the head coach, working with the ARU and comparing our rugby programs to other rugby programs nationally and seeing what we need to improve on ect...

Dave Wessels also has a great connection with South Africa and can help us recruit players from the South African talent pool especially in relation to the future force. From what I have seen Dave Wessels like a true South African is very passionate about his rugby and is very hard working.

Lastly if you remember a few weeks back to the signing of Rona. Micheal Cheika the highest level coach in Australia assured Rona that there was going to be a bright future for the force ahead and that the force will be here for a long time to come.

(N.b please stop listening to Georgina Robinson, she is probably one of the most anti force journalists out there, and is very Sydney centric)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    You must believe in fairy tales Volvo
    Curtis Rona will wonder what the hell he has come to after being around Des Hasler and players like Graham and Co
    You are definite dreaming Volvo I think an employee at the force

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast