Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Perth Bledisloe

Champion
    vCash

Perth Bledisloe

Anybody else see this snippet in the west

Perth keen on Bledisloe match
    Nick Taylor - The West Australian on June 3, 2016, 7:40 am

The State Government is interested in hosting a Bledisloe Cup Test at the new Perth Stadium.
    The ARU needs a home for the Australia-New Zealand clash for four years with Sydney’s ANZ Stadium getting a $700 million facelift from 2018.
    “We’re interested in hosting the Bledisloe Cup and we’re actively assessing the opportunity,” acting executive director of events for Tourism WA Saskia Doherty said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Anybody else see this snippet in the west
    Was it next to the one about Jarryd Hayne replacing Kyrgios in the Tennis Squad for Rio?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

vCash
    IT'S TRUE I TELLS YA!!

By THE SHOVEL
    Former NRL, NFL and Fijian 7s star Jarryd Hayne has jumped at the opportunity to fill Nick Kyrgios's spot on the Australian Olympic tennis team, saying it was a chance to pursue his lifelong dream.

"Playing for the Parramatta Eels, playing for the San Francisco 49ers, playing for Fiji – all of this was just a stepping stone to going out on court in the men's singles, and possibly the mixed doubles, in Rio 2016," Hayne said.

The running back said he was ready to prove himself on the court. "I've never played tennis before, but I think my ability to crash through tackles and execute those quick breaks will put me in good stead out there on the court".
    The fullback said he had always dreamt of slotting a forehand winner past Roger Federer to take out gold for Australia. "It's been my lifelong dream ever since Nick Kyrgios pulled out this morning. I've worked for this. I'm ready for this. I just hope the selectors put their faith in me".

This story originally appeared on "The Shovel."

Sorry.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If our short sighted Premier had more of an eye on Tourism and the new stadium had accommodated Rugby who knows we may have got an All Black test! The last test between the ABs vWallabies I was lucky to attend the only hotel room I could find was over 40klms out of Brisbane with a shared bathroom!

vCash
    You do realise a possible Bledisloe Test in Perth will be held at the new stadium under construction at Burswood?

vCash
    It would be like a Kiwi home test though, wouldn't it?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Probably, I imagine the League test at NiB this year will pretty much be a home Test for the Kiwis.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    You do realise a possible Bledisloe Test in Perth will be held at the new stadium under construction at Burswood?
    how far from completion is the new stadium?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    how far from completion is the new stadium?
    42% completed according to the website but that is in reference to the stadium precinct not just the stadium so that includes the new train station, pedestrian bridge, works to Victoria Park Drive and the surrounding grounds. There is plenty of talk that it will be ready well ahead of schedule.

http://www.perthstadium.com.au

I travel past it daily to and from work either on my bike or on the train and it's coming together nicely.

Talk of the opening event to be the Perth Ashes Test in 2017/18 or a Soccer international.

vCash
    Expecting announcement sometime today...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...oe-test/#page1

vCash
    Great news! Will be a wee bit awks if the ARU has canned the Force by then though!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    42% completed according to the website but that is in reference to the stadium precinct not just the stadium....... pedestrian bridge,
    Does any one else wonder how much use that bridge will be? If you cross it after the game you will end up somewhere between the arse end of Gloucester Park and Trinity College - miles from any transport, pubs, restaurants etc. Leaving from there before matches would seem just as unattractive. The only attraction might be car parking. Don't get it

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Does any one else wonder how much use that bridge will be? If you cross it after the game you will end up somewhere between the arse end of Gloucester Park and Trinity College - miles from any transport, pubs, restaurants etc. Leaving from there before matches would seem just as unattractive. The only attraction might be car parking. Don't get it
    The bridge landing on the north bank is the north end of Gloucester Park and the plan is to have buses parked along the road around the back of Gloucester Park (Nelson Avenue) to pick up those who use the bridge and ferry them into the city. The trouble is that given the number of people who are expected to use the bridge, and the average size of a bus, they need something like 90 buses to be available within a ~15 minute period (so no chance to use shuttle buses) and putting 90 buses nose to tail in readiness means they would back-up along Nelson Avenue, Nile Street and Waterloo Crescent causing traffic chaos.

Apparently the buses can't park up in the large Gloucester Park car park off Nelson Avenue, because an event at the new stadium might clash with an event at Gloucester Park (that car-park gets used by the horse transporters), and the buses can't park-up in the WACA car-parks because the council have ear-marked them for building ~1000 flats.

What would make more sense is making the buses park up in Nelson alongside Queens Gardens and the WACA, then load them up in Braithwaite Street (between the WACA and Trinity College), and have the buses turn right onto Hay Street, which is a much easier journey for 90 buses to make considering traffic flows. But I've been told Trinity College won't allow Braithwaite Street to be widened (despite it making an excellent bus-stop for them!) nor will they allow WACA patrons or buses to use their car parks, and also that the walk from the bridge to Braithwaite Street is "too far" (being less distance than the width of the river the bridge has just crossed!)

Sorry, but I'm a local (Waterloo Crescent) resident who is a bit worried about what might happen and has contacted the council, only to be given a standard response brush-off of 'we know what we're doing'.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    The only thing I can think the bridge will be utilized for is pedestrians who drive to East Perth as there is plenty of free street parking in East Perth after 12pm on a Saturday.

I wouldn't have thought CBD workers are going to walk the 2.8kms to the Swan River bank at Nelson Crescent plus the extra distance to cross the bridge and walk to the stadium, not when there is likely to be a shuttle rail service that takes 5 minutes as opposed to a 35ish minute walk especially when you factor in a 6:40pm start for AFL games on a Friday night here in Perth. Nor are they likely to take on congested Friday afternoon CBD roads on a CAT Bus tp get to the western side of the bridge.

Sometimes between 4pm and 6pm it is quicker to walk than catch a CAT bus.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast