Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sanzaar plots 10 year plan and more change in 2018 as major review begins

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Sanzaar plots 10 year plan and more change in 2018 as major review begins

Super Rugby's controversial format will be retained until the end of next year but Sanzaar is promising a thorough review with more change likely in 2018.

After drifting along without any firm long term vision, Sanzaar has hired a consultancy firm and over the next six months will map out its 10 year strategic vision (2016-2225).

A major part of that process will involve a critical look at the conference style structures and Sanzaar chief executive Andy Marinos says everything from expansion into new territories to reduction of teams in some countries are options on the table.

A yet-to-be announced consultancy company will work with the respective Sanzaar national unions, Super Rugby franchises, broadcasters and commercial partners before signing off a clear direction at the end of this year. Regaining some of the compromised integrity and credibility of this competition should also be a focus.

Expressions of interest for potential new teams will then be sought, with Marinos expecting bids from South America, North America, other parts of Asia and Europe.

Given their comparative lack of player depth and commercial success, Australia shapes as the obvious country to drop one of their five teams if that pathway is genuinely explored.

"You've got to be open-minded when you go into a process," Marinos said.

"Is it a continual expansion? Is it an expansion in two conferences? Is it a reduction and creating a two tier system? There's a whole lot of different permutations one has to consider as you go through a process like this if you want to get the best result.

"Certain countries may reduce and some may retain or expand.

"If you want to be fair to the fans and people who are supporting us you've to look at all options. You can't just look at only one option about expanding further."

Despite widespread criticism over the performances of Japan's Sunwolves, the Port Elizabeth-based Kings and underwhelming effort of Argentina's Jaguares in year one, Sanzaar remains committed to the 18-team competition for now.

"We've singed broadcast agreements for that. But we're saying if, during the next five years, we believe there is an alternative model we will certainly have a very good look at that. But for the 2016/2017 season I wouldn't envision there being any changes to the model we've got.

"But we are wanting to get a better structure going forward.

"To try put a new team up in 2017 you're not giving them enough time to prepare. You need at least 12 to 18 months to identify the opportunity and then make sure the high performance and commercial models can underpin it.

"We've seen the consequence of not having all that up and ready at the start of this year with all the disruption and change, particularly in Japan and with the Kings.

"2018 for me is more achievable should we look to expand."

The Pacific Islands are likely to remain out in the cold by further expansion, unless the Asia Pacific Dragons regain a foothold in Singapore convince they tick all the boxes.

Backed by Eric Series, the chairman of Samoa Water and investor in the Chiefs, the Dragons were overlooked in favour of the Sunwolves this year.

Pressed on Pacific Island representation, Marinos reiterated familiar financial concerns.

"I know there's a fair amount of interest coming out of the Pacific Islands and I think an amalgamation or looking at putting a couple of them together would certainly tick the box from a competitive and high performance point of view so we'll have a good look at that.

"It's a challenge as it is with the geography we've got and the multiple time zones.

"Instinctively I'd say playing out of Fiji, Tonga or Papua New Guinea as a base would probably be problematic but you've got to build the commercial model and do the feasibility study."

As the Super Rugby season moves past the halfway point attention gradually turns to the finals structure that will disadvantage several dominant Kiwi teams this year. It's increasingly likely four New Zealand teams - the Highlanders, Chiefs, Crusaders and Hurricanes - and one Australian outfit will qualify for the playoffs.

But, because the four conference winners are guaranteed home advantage, three Kiwi teams will be pushed down the table and be forced to travel.

"When you look at the finals series it is a challenge; it is tricky especially with the consistent performances out of the New Zealand teams. Some of those teams aren't going to make the playoffs and because of the format we've adopted it may result in teams with higher points not getting into the finals series.

"It's just one of those realities of the competition structure we're operating under but I think the best team will get the final rewards."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-review-begins

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    2225! don't think I'll hold my membership quite that long.

vCash
    Interesting that they cite Australia as the conference which is most likely to lose a team (sic) immediately followed by a list of very poorly performing teams all from South African conferences.

Methinks my point about the position of SA in the acronym is going to appear again soon.

C'mon the

vCash
    Personally I don't think this format has done anything for SR in fact the opposite! In the past I would record all the games and somehow manage to watch them all during the week, to see how teams we were going to play or had played to see how they faired.
    This year I'm pushing my self just to watch all the Aussie teams.
    It may have something to do with how poor we have been traveling but I just seem to have lost interest in the tournament!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I'm feeling much the same SNOB.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    SANZAR going with the "dots on the map" approach. How about a 5 year period with no new teams and consolidation of the teams that are currently in the competition?

The scheduling could use a massive improvement, look at this Friday where you have the Crusaders vs the Waratahs and then no game until 13:05 on Sunday and it's not the first time there has been no game in a timeslot you would expect one to be in.

vCash
    I'm with Jargs, I think the biggest clusterf@$k in this tournament has been the fixtures....all as a result of the South Africans (yet again) intractably negotiating for everything they want to the damnation of everybody else. It would be a simple fix, even next year, to even the conference system back to three conferences of six, schedule exactly the same number of games without as many stupid iterations of who doesn't play who and get the best 8 teams into the finals.

South African teams have a massive leg up through the conference system, all it's going to achieve is the finals being played in New Zealand from the second week. Australian teams get shafted and won't see a home final under this system until the Wallabies can beat the All Blacks and the Saffers will be guaranteed home finals in the first round through draw-stacking.

I can't believe Bill Pulver was stupid enough to agree to it myself!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Australian teams get shafted and won't see a home final under this system until the Wallabies can beat the All Blacks and the Saffers will be guaranteed home finals in the first round through draw-stacking.
    Top Australian side will get a home final. I was reading an article yesterday, possibly written by a Kiwi scribe that was stating how three NZ teams will likely have to go on the road during the first week of finals depsite potentially having more wins then their opposition.

Your 100% right about the South Africans though, they get 2 home finals in South Africa from conferences consisting of the Kings, Sunwolves and Jaguares.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Super_Rugby_season

If the finals were to start this week they would be:

Crusaders vs Sharks
    Lions vs Hurricanes
    Stormers vs Highlanders
    NSW vs Chiefs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm with Jargs, I think the biggest clusterf@$k in this tournament has been the fixtures....all as a result of the South Africans (yet again) intractably negotiating for everything they want to the damnation of everybody else. It would be a simple fix, even next year, to even the conference system back to three conferences of six, schedule exactly the same number of games without as many stupid iterations of who doesn't play who and get the best 8 teams into the finals.

South African teams have a massive leg up through the conference system, all it's going to achieve is the finals being played in New Zealand from the second week. Australian teams get shafted and won't see a home final under this system until the Wallabies can beat the All Blacks and the Saffers will be guaranteed home finals in the first round through draw-stacking.

I can't believe Bill Pulver was stupid enough to agree to it myself!
    I think it's bad form of the ARU to be strongarmed by the Africans. Aussie teams are the definite losers out of the draw, which invariably will mean less finals appearances for our teams and the chance to engage the public further with finals footy and the chance at some silverware.

The ARU needs to find a pair and threaten to burn the house down with everyone inside if we don't get a better deal. This arrangement will end up hurting the ARU's bottom line long term.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Like a Khaleesi

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    This year I'm pushing my self just to watch all the Aussie teams.
    I don't think the continual derby idea really works (it's most probably cheaper), but some of it has been dire. I don't think I've seen players drop the pill so much - cue for a set of stats that show the opposite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    I don't think the continual derby idea really works (it's most probably cheaper), but some of it has been dire. I don't think I've seen players drop the pill so much - cue for a set of stats that show the opposite.
    I must admit it hasn't exactly been exciting rugby.

May the FORCE be with you!

Veteran
    vCash
    you havent seen some of my games yet. If you need more, just ask, and i'll let you know where im playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    you havent seen some of my games yet. If you need more, just ask, and i'll let you know where im playing.
    i'm a little bit timid to ask about this

Veteran
    vCash
    i'm a little bit timid to ask about this
    all good:

I don't think I've seen players drop the pill so much
    Next Saturday will be at Cottesloe at 3pm - come say hi after the match - preferably with beer in hand...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast