Thread: Allister Coetzee expected to be named new Springboks coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Allister Coetzee expected to be named new Springboks coach

Last updated 05:01, April 11 2016

Allister Coetzee is expected to be named as South Africa's new rugby coach, four months after the departure of Heyneke Meyer and two months before a three-test series against Ireland.

The terms of Coetzee's appointment will be made known when he is presented at a live, televised media conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

Coetzee will take over a job with a constant demand for success and a huge burden of expectation, even though South Africa have played second fiddle to their arch rivals the All Blacks for some time.

He will also have to integrate more non-white players into the Springbok side, consistently a contentious issue as the sport attempts to become more inclusive and less of a preserve of the country's white minority.

Coetzee's first task will be a three-test home series against Ireland in June followed by the Rugby Championship against Argentina, Australia and New Zealand from August to October. In November, the Boks are due to play Tests against England, Italy and Wales.

The 52-year-old Coetzee has cut short a contract in Japan to take the job, having last year left the Cape Town-based Super Rugby franchise Stormers after an eight-year spell with the record as the most successful South African coach in the southern hemisphere competition. It included a runners-up berth in 2010.

Coetzee broke racial barriers by becoming the first black coach of a South African provincial side when he took charge of Eastern Province in 2001.

Three years later he was appointed assistant to Jake White and played a role in the country winning the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France.

Coetzee takes over from Meyer who left the job not long after South Africa finished third at last year's Rugby World Cup.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...ringboks-coach

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I really don't know if this is a good decision, have they even offered Tom Fearn the opportunity yet

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I really don't know if this is a good decision, have they even offered Tom Fearn the opportunity yet
    Or the SA assistants we have at the force. Even better Mr Prinsloo! Ha ha!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!