Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ARU wants new stadium at Moore Park

vCash

ARU wants new stadium at Moore Park

THE Australian Rugby Union has weighed into Sydney’s stadium debate by expressing its preference for a brand new stadium to be built at Moore Park.

But under implied threat of taking marquee events like the Bledisloe Cup to other states, the ARU also insisted the existing Allianz Stadium “remains operational” while new venue is constructed and the government guarantees the ARU won’t lose precious Test revenue while the “stadia network” is being built.

The ARU’s position in the heated debate is spelt out in a letter sent by ARU boss Bill Pulver to NSW sports minister Stuart Ayres last week, which has been obtained by the Daily Telegraph.

Pulver welcomed the planned $1.6 billion investment in upgrading Sydney’s sporting infrastructure, saying it is imperative “world-class stadia” are available to attract fans, drive revenue and secure sponsors.

“Our overwhelming preference is for a new stadium to be constructed at Moore Park and that Allianz Stadium remains operational while a new stadium is constructed,” Pulver wrote.

“Indeed, this outcome, in particularly Allianz Stadium remaining operational, is absolutely necessary in order for us to commit content to the stadia network — that being Waratahs Super Rugby Matches, Wallabies Test Matches, Sevens World Series events, and going forward over the next 10-15 years, premium content such as Super Rugby Finals, Bledisloe Cups, Rugby Championship Test Matches, Lions Tour Matches and potentially future Rugby World Cups.

“On current scheduling, this would be a minimum 14 match days in Sydney in the stadia network per annum, which is a significant contribution of available Rugby content in Australia. This outcome is also critical to ensuring the viability of our operations, revenue streams and fan engagement.

“Noting the above, it will be important for the NSW Government to confirm that our organisations will not be in a position of financial disadvantage from committing our content to the stadia network, having regard to alternate stadia and event deals. This includes ensuring that Rugby’s access to preferred stadia in the network is not compromised through the centralisation of content.”

Waratahs chairman Roger Davis is a co-signatory on the letter but having struck a deal last year with the SCG Trust to play at Moore Park until 2031, the NSWRU stance is not influential.

The ARU’s desire to keep the existing Allianz Stadium open helps ensure a suitably sized venue is available for the Waratahs, but moreso for the Sydney Sevens — which is locked in for four more years — and for inbound Test series. Australia play England at Allianz Stadium there in June.

No plans have been drawn up but an entirely new stadium at Moore Park — not built on the site of a demolished Allianz Stadium — would likely be built over the members carpark and NRL building, and across to the Kippax Lake ovals.

Overall, the ARU’s position is not a huge shock. With Wallabies’ Tests and major events like Lions tours and World Cups the code’s single biggest driver of revenue, having another 50,000-seat stadium in Sydney is attractive.

The ARU have a deal with the NSW government to play Bledisloe Cup games at ANZ Stadium until 2021. Where the prize game is played thereafter will no doubt depend on which venue can bank the most revenue for the ARU.

It would likely still be a 75,000-seat ANZ Stadium but some argue 50,000-seat stadiums like Suncorp Stadium or a new venue at Moore Park — with premium pricing — can yield a similar return.

Perth’s new 60,000-seat stadium will also be on the hunt for marquee events and offer cash incentives.

The capacity to draw big crowds during a renovation at ANZ Stadium or Allianz Stadium is clearly a concern for the ARU, with Pulver appearing to indicate they may even seek financial compensation, at the threat of taking “content” away from the stadia network. The threat also covers the ARU also getting access to it preferred stadia under the new network plan.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/a...5b4ba8ec643bf5

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Anything to keep the $$$ in NSW, like a broken record they are.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Anything to keep the $$$ in NSW, like a broken record they are.
    Yeah who'd have thought they'd want the NSW government to spend money in NSW?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    We all know where the money came from Beige

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Mining boom is over mate

vCash
    So they don't want to use the funding to dedicate facilities in Western Sydney to enable that team to grow?

No they'd rather treat anything Western as complete foreigners.

Ps they didn't threaten to pull content out of the WA stadium did they?

C'mon the

vCash
    They have a legitimate excuse to play Waratahs home games in new areas, I reckon they should try it.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So they don't want to use the funding to dedicate facilities in Western Sydney to enable that team to grow?
    In the absence of "that team", you'd better not be talking about the Western Force.

vCash
    The Brumbies are the current top candidate aren't they?

However they might want the force to move so they have a club there with a solid governance structure and a sound financial position (and we're the only organisation in Australia with both)

relatively

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

No they'd rather treat anything Western as complete foreigners.
    It's the NSW State Government that is spending the money not the ARU.

Parramatta Stadium is looking at a revamp or a rebuild from this funding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Parramatta Stadium is looking at a revamp or a rebuild from this funding.
    I wonder if that's the reason for this sudden "Western Sydney Force" push?

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I wonder if that's the reason for this sudden "Western Sydney Force" push?
    There is no such push.

Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver has ended speculation that Western Force are under threat and could be moved interstate.

The ARU chief executive toldThe West Australian that a takeover and relocation of the struggling Super Rugby club was not an option.

“I would be very confident in telling you that the Western Force are going to be a successful part of the Perth sporting scene for a long, long time,” Pulver said yesterday after talks with RugbyWA and the State Government.

“There are three parties working constructively towards a solution that will see the Western Force competing as a very viable part of Super Rugby for a long time to come.

“I still am very much a supporter of a national footprint for Super Rugby and you do not want to do anything that’s going to have any negative on the local community engagement.”

Speculation that the ARU was investigating a relocation of the Force to western Sydney was dismissed by Pulver.

A partnership with the ARU is possible, but if the Force board is not happy with the deal it will look at private ownership.

“I am extremely confident we are going to find the right solution,” Pulver said.

“I’m not the wise man from the east that expects to have all the answers.

“That’s why I’m here, working with all the key constituents, to make sure we have a viable solution.”

Department of Sport and Recreation director-general Ron Alexander took a long-term view of the Force’s situation.

“We don’t just want them to be viable, we want them to be competitive,” Alexander said.

“We’re asking the ARU to show us how that is going to happen.”

The Force are set to announce their seventh straight financial loss later this year and in August sold their intellectual property to the ARU for $800,000 — the first time they had gone cap in hand to the governing body.

In past years the ARU has bailed out the Waratahs and Reds and has poured $13 million into the privately owned Rebels.

The ARU has hired consultants Accenture to investigate ways of making all five Australian clubs financially viable.

Centralisation of back office duties such as ticketing and contracting are under scrutiny.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ocation-no-go/
    Even a a disccusion here on TWF

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=37485

Last edited by jargan83; 07-04-16 at 15:46.

vCash
    Ugh, I worded that incorrectly, I should have written "talk" instead of "push."

vCash
    The debate about this stadium actually has little to do with Rugby. But in any event, throwing tax payer's dollars at a new stadium that has absolutely shite transport links is one of the worst ideas in Autralian sports infrastructure planning.

Unless, of course, they are gonna build light rail with at least 5 stops up Foveaux St for some Resch's refreshers. Just ask Gunny and Elf.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Is Allianz to be demolished if this new one gets built?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast