Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Conditions You Have Played In

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    Martin Lucky Park in Wellington,game transferred from Athletic Park.Ground was a bog hole.Horizontal rain & sleet, howling southerly blowing off Cook Strait.Cold showers.
    God, you must feel at home at Neddies, eh?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    When I was a boy my parents would make me work for 29 hours a day 9 days a week in the run down woollen mills, on the one afternoon i was allowed off each year i would walk barefoot for 14 miles across broken glass to the local rugby clubhouse, collecting raspberries from the hedgerow on the way so that I could sell to the local gentry in order to make eough money to pay my players subs. At the ground i would borrow a shirt, shorts and some odd sized boots from the lost property office before joining my teammates in the local derby game. The healthcare was so poor in those days that we could rarely muster more than 11 players and so I often had to play openside prop, hooker and scrum-half all at the same time. God how the dry weather made the pitches so hard and we prayed for a downpour, and dreamt of the day when our paddock would have so much rainfall that we thought we would drown, we heard rumours that other countries had heavy wind that would put a bit of pressure on the high ball, but of course we were too poor to afford the wind. A local lord once promised to let his horse sh*t on the paddock so that it would soften the ground but of course that was another promise that never materialised...we thought it was bad but always knew we were really the lucky ones, we at least never had to play in the atrocious weather conditions those Southern Hemisphere boys did...god that must have been hard on them, those were the halcion days and it brings a tear to my glass eye when i think back.
    tell that to the youth of today ... and they won't believe you!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    The worst pitch i have ever played on was Guildford Grammar pitch. You would run through the mud patch and you would literally lose a boot. The sludge would suck the boot off your foot.
    I can also vouch for the other pitches at Guildford, the ones with the horses on, where they played footy and soccer. I remember when i was in Primary school all my mates came home back from Guildford a muddy mess from rolling around in the paddocks out back.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    tell that to the youth of today ... and they won't believe you!

ayeeee....luxury.....

(with all due respect and thanks to the Monty Python team)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Tooongstun carrrrbide drullls?!"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    With the greatest of respect to all that have posted in this thread I beg your indulgence in allowing me to contribute. I was never a player. I was team runner/water boy/pick them up when the fall down/help them up when the cant quite get up guy for a team in Katherine in the Northern Territory.

I was at every game and every training session and went on every trip to help the boys out.

Our games in the local 4 team competition were played on a Friday night during the Wet Season. So normal tempreture was around 28 Degrees Celcius and 80+% humidity. If we were lucky it rained. If we were unlucky the rain would stop during the game. then the humidity would go through the roof.

One time the power went out during the game, and we had 2 of the funniest situations i had ever seen, first we were in a Ruck at the time and one of our team was at the bottom of the ruck. He started screaming when the lights went out. He thought that something in the ruck had made him blind. When the lights came back on one of our wingers was standing all by himself his eyes squeezed shut throwing what could only be described as helicopter punches. He thought that the opposition might attack him with the lights out.

One training session the rain and wind came up so hard and so fast we were all hiding behind bump pads to get away from the sting of the rain Drops.

The main field at Marara in Darwin - home of the Darwin 7s tournament is rummoured to be watered with "grey water" any cut or graze gets infected - we were able to combat it by treating the players with peroxide after each game. They didnt like it, but the infections stopped.

Games where the rain was so heavy that Rucks were avoided because there was a real risk of drowning.

and many many more.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Wow, there's some great stories there. Mine really doesn't compare.

Now one thing needs to be said, I love playing in the rain. There is nothing better than hammering down the wing, then cutting back inside and watching the opposing fullback slide past you and into the fence.

Anyway, so even though I love the rain, one game we played in Camden it had been pouring down all night, to the point where roads on the way to the park were closed due to flooding.

We rocked up and it was muddy to say the least, you'd dig your foot in to make a sidestep and either your foot wouldn't come back out, or it would but your shoe has come off and disappeared under the soggy ground. This was mainly in the middle of the ground, towards the goallines it was mainly greasy, although it was still near impossible to bounce the ball into touch.

So we decided to hang onto the ball if we could and avoid big rucks if possible and ended up playing a 7's style game, which worked well despite the downpour. A few tries were scored by our guys, all of whom were celebrating in the swan dive style Ben Tune had recently made famous. Some started their dive from about 10 metres out, that's how greasy it was.

So I actually got my chance for a try, finally managed to pull off a clean sidestep and raced to the line. I made a huge dive and... stopped. I have no idea what I hit, some sort of clay or rock maybe but I was stopped in my tracks, had to rate as one of my most embarrassing moments playing the game.

I have never tried the tuney swan dive since.

vCash
    HAHAHAHA I`m on the floor, tears in my eyes, picturing that.
    Reminds me of a time when i was in under 13`s and it`d been raining for a couple of days, and where we trained had two ovals, one about 8mt`s higher than the other, and the gradient was about 30 degrees. Now, we used to train on the top ground, and with the rain and the gradient, we had a natural slippery dip made of mud, so when we scored a try, we would do the "tuney" from about ten metres out and keep sliding over the edge of this drop onto the bottom oval and we kept on sliding into other training groups. It was the best training session ever

vCash
    Haha that's freaking awesome!

vCash
    That's the same as the number 2 pitch at Allen Park, when i used to play for Associates (many many years ago!). We used to get the hit shields or tackles suits and slide down the hill onto the Football Oval, was good fun when you were 14.

vCash
    It is probably still fun, but chances of injury have increased tenfold

vCash
    Actually, i just remembered Rosalie Park, opposite the Cahrlie Gardner Hospital. Now that would be a good one as well, and for those of us susceptable to injury, we`d only need to cross the road for assistance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Actually, i just remembered Rosalie Park, opposite the Cahrlie Gardner Hospital. Now that would be a good one as well, and for those of us susceptable to injury, we`d only need to cross the road for assistance
    It may not be hazardous to your health, although I've seen a few displays that suggest it could be dangerous for your state of mind -- but Rosalie Park is infamous in WA club rugby circles for bearing two sets of markings, one in white and one in blue. I think they share the ground with soccer or some other heathen pursuit.

The number of times I've seen tries disallowed because the player planted the ball over the white line instead of the blue one...! And don't they say some nasty words when the ref points out it's no try! Especially if the game is close.

I've even seen Wests do it, and it's their home ground!

vCash
    Great topic....where do I start...?!

1] Playing in the Midland District League (Scotland)....any pitch apart from our home one in Crieff (unless it was frozen solid or under 4ft of water):
    - Dundee Uni: next to the River Tay....always blowing a gale
    - there was another Dundee team who played on a sloping pitch (corner flag to corner flag) and the prevailing wind was always right in your face when playing down hill!!

2] Worst game....Lismore vs Alloa when I was university in Edinburgh. Talk about a quagmire....the mud was greater than ankle deep. And the result.....0-0!!!!

3] Hardest game....on an end-of-season tour in Prague with Crieff. Pitch conditions were perfect but it was 35C (not great for the Scots) and so some bloody idiot (that would be the tour convenor....me!!) decided that an early kick-off would be a good option.....10am!!! The problem was that our team were still staggering into the hotel from the previous night at 8am!!! The performance was legendary....the forwards had a storming game but we were sorely let down by the backs (ain't that always the way?!). The after match performance was even better - 6 hours of Czech hospitality at their clubhouse for 2 teams & supporters. We picked up the bar tab and it was a grand total of approx $500!!!!! What a great tour....so many stories that I can't possibly divulge as my sister is the Em-forcer!!!!

vCash
    Oh go on, do tell! I know "what happens on tour stays on tour", but who from Crieff would be reading this...? (and I promise I won't breathe a word!) ( )

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast