Thread: Mid Season Review for Super Coach Richard Graham

vCash

Mid Season Review for Super Coach Richard Graham

MID-SEASON review of Richard Graham’s performance as Reds coach is certain now influential backer Rod McCall has stood down as Queensland Rugby Union chairman.

Losing one of his major advocates has heaped extra pressure on Graham to rouse his team for an intense effort to open the new season in Sydney on Saturday night.

McCall’s call for a calm, reasoned judgment on Graham’s future after last year’s shabby 13th placing is one of the main reasons the coach is still here to face the NSW Waratahs.

The respected McCall (pictured) will formally stand down at the QRU annual general meeting on March 19, a year before his term was due to expire.

It is understood that he this week stepped away from the role which Damien Frawley, another former Wallaby, will fill on an interim basis until named successor at the AGM.

McCall’s battle with a neck injury from his playing days, family commitments and already signing off on the Reds’ strategy have contributed to the timing.

Graham’s support base will be further eroded because board member Chris White is not seeking re-election.
    Rod McCall has stood down as QRU chairman.

Graham’s 28 per cent winning rate over the past two seasons is why speculation about his future is so relentless.

It will only stop when it is upgraded by a streak of wins or he’s out of a job.

“There’s been so much written and said it doesn’t worry me,” Graham said last week when asked about the speculation.

“If I let that cripple me I won’t be doing my job.

“I get out of bed with a skip in my step every day to coach this side ... you do your best and hope the performances and results follow.”

The Reds are rated 11-point underdogs by bookmakers for Saturday night when a feisty, spirited display is demanded to show progress has been made.

A high performance review last year recommended a shake-up of the Reds’ off-field setup, which pointedly inferred there were less public figures than Graham who weren’t measuring up.

McCall announced last August that the QRU board “feels strongly that Richard is the right man to lead” after a coaching review panel considered more than 20 coaching applications.

McCall will leave his post as one of the QRU’s finest chairmen and the man who recruited Ewen McKenzie as coach to transform the Reds from lame to 2011 title fame. Rugby playing numbers have soared 330 per cent and Reds memberships have grown tenfold since he became chairman in 2009.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/m...b22979f5912f50

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "It doesn't worry me". He's either more deluded or more arrogant than I thought. Alternatively, he could just be a liar.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    You'd have to be worried. Kind of feel bad for him now to be honest. He shouldn't be in his position and the pressure he's under is Gotta be under would be insane

vCash
    Ugh. That sentence shows how tired I am...

vCash
    I don't feel sorry for him in the least. If he had done the decent thing and resigned after last season he wouldn't be under any pressure whatsoever. He has the skin of a rhino, the stubbornness of a mule and the intelligence of an amoeba!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I don't feel sorry for him in the least. If he had done the decent thing and resigned after last season he wouldn't be under any pressure whatsoever. He has the skin of a rhino, the stubbornness of a mule and the intelligence of an amoeba!
    But apart from that he's OK, right?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    But apart from that he's OK, right?
    LOL! Personally I'd be quite happy if he keeps his job for as long as poss. House of cards is self destructing around him, but they're still desperately talking themselves up. Noticed an image posted at last trial of a vacant membership tent at the ground.... LOL! Feel sorry for the fans but then we suffered enough with The Dick, so stiff shit.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    perhaps you should rephrase the last few words..LOL

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    but then we suffered enough with The Dick, so stiff shit.
    I like to call that the Rohypnol era!

C'mon the