Thread: Competition key for Force duo

Champion
    vCash

Competition key for Force duo

Nick Taylor

They are the best of mates and the fiercest of rivals – and that’s just what Western Force coach Michael Foley wants from his two international speedsters.
    Outside backs Albert Nikoro and Semisi Masirewa became good friends when they were at New Zealand ITM Cup side Waikato.
    Now, two years down the rugby road, the pair of overseas development players are back together and battling for the same position, either on a wing or at full-back.
    Kiwi Nikoro, who has a massive boot and once landed a 65-metre penalty at Waikato Stadium, signed for the Force last year and has been joined this season by Fijian flyer Masirewa.
    The 23-year-old’s share a house but there is no love lost when it comes to competition for places, or even a game of cards.
    “It’s always been competitive between me and him,” Masirewa said.
    “I guess it’s natural because we both play the same position and all we want to do is win.
    “We both just hate losing. He even introduced me to poker and for the first time he loses!”
    Masirewa thought his Super Rugby dream was over when he shattered his ankle in last season’s ITM Cup but he battled back and despite interest from the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders opted for the Force.
    He has only been in full training and running at top speed for the past two weeks, waiting for the ankle to completely recover.
    “As soon as I did my ankle I thought it was going to affect my Super Rugby career and dream but I was lucky the Force offered me a contract,” he said.
    “When I got here the boys had been working hard for pre-season. Sitting on the sidelines watching them work hard was pretty tough.
    “Now that I’m back full training it’s pretty good to pay them back and earn the respect, show them I’m working hard as well.”
    Masirewa carries a constant reminder of his late father - a gold tooth made from his wedding ring.
    “When he passed away he gave it to me. I didn’t want to hold onto it in case I lost it so I chucked it there which is the safest place for me to keep it,” he said.
    Nikoro said team spirit was high with the side training for a new up-tempo style.
    “I’m really excited, looking forward to what the season has in store for us,” Nikoro said.
    “I was around last year and compared to what Foles (Foley) has introduced this year it’s a whole new ball game.
    “The style we’ve been training is what I’m used to, running rugby, exciting rugby instead of what we had last year.
    “The team is a lot tighter, camaraderie and brotherhood is really strong, really close knit compared to what we had last year.
    “When I heard Semisi was coming over I sent him a little text and told him he was staying with me.
    “He learnt his place in the house pretty quickly.
    “One day I came home from training and he was on my couch, he was pretty cosy there.
    “I was ‘ah ah..who do you think you are mate. You’ve been here 10 seconds, off you get’.
    “He learnt pretty quickly and it’s good to have him around.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Anyone know why we never saw Nikoro at all last year?

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Anyone know why we never saw Nikoro at all last year?
    Probably Michael Foley knows .... but I'm none the wiser.