Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force to prosper from new TV deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Training develops passing skills, not 7's rugby.
    that's a really interesting comment from a coaching perspective, could you please explain how training is a more effective way of improving passing skill than a competitive game situation?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Training develops passing skills, not 7's rugby.
    Prop school a great idea lets call it "The Front Row Factory".
    Training is definitely a big part of it but training does not come with the same pressure as match conditions. Your ability to execute under pressure is best developed under pressure.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    It was enlightening to attend some of the WF training sessions in early 2015.

I was surprised that a number of sessions was focused on teaching the Backs how to kick more accurately, with control and to position.
    It was obvious that these were skills that few of the squad had actually developed.

It seemed that there was such a strong emphasis on passing the ball in club rugby that many players were getting to Super Rugby level without being taught how to kick a ball properly. These were players from all sources/countries. A bit of a sad indictment on the lack of development of what should be a "basic" skill.

The best example that we saw of this lack of kicking skills was the HB trying to clear the ball from in-goal without success resulting in a quick turn-over try. Surely an 87 SXV game/15 Test Wallaby winger should/could have done better under prerssure?

There's a lot of trash-talk about Michael Foley and his coaching efforts and what others MAY have to offer.
    I think a SXV coach should be honing basic skills and fitting them into a game plan NOT having to teach basic skills to players who have maybe more than 10 seasons under numerous coaches at various levels.

There is NO WAY that any development squad should be mostly local talent. The squad should include the BEST local talent. The focus should be clearly those with the potential to make it at the next level. It's why an effective NRC competition is so important for player identification for further development

Much as I enjoy supporting club rugby in Perth, the reality is that only a select few are going to cross the chasm and make it at SXV level. It's big step-up and one reason why the average playing career at SXV level is only 2.5 seasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2