Thread: WESTERN FORCE WELCOMES SEMISI MESIREWA

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

WESTERN FORCE WELCOMES SEMISI MESIREWA

The Western Force has added one of the ITM Cup’s leading tackle busters and line breakers to its outside back combinations for 2016, with the recruitment of Manawatu Turbos speedster Semisi Mesirewa.

Despite Mesiwera injuring his ankle and missing the last three games of the ITM Cup, he still ranked 13th in the competition for line breaks, 7th for defenders beaten and made 84 carries for 596 metres.

The 23-year-old – who was originally born in Fiji, moved to New Zealand as a junior to further his rugby career, in 2013 he made his ITM Cup debut for Waikato and later moved to Manawatu. After a superb 2015 season for the Turbos he had offers from three of the New Zealand Asteron Life Super Rugby franchises (Chiefs, Highlanders and Hurricanes), but decided to head west and join the Western Force.

“I’m so excited to be here and I’m very thankful for the opportunity that the Western Force has given me,” he said. “It’s been really easy settling in and the team have been really supportive, which has made the move so much easier.”

“What’s really impressed me so far is just how close the team is, the culture here is great and I can’t wait to be a part of that.”

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says Mesirewa has huge potential to take the next step into Asteron Life Super Rugby.

“Semisi’s natural speed and power are real strengths,” he said.

“So far we’ve been very impressed with Semisi’s attitude and how he’s adapting to a professional program and without doubt, he has the ability to make a real impression on the Super Rugby competition.”

Profile:
    Name: Semisi Mesirewa
    Born: 9/06/1992, Taveuni, Fiji
    Position: Fullback/Wing
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 95kg
    Representative Rugby: 2013-2014: Waikato (ITM Cup)
    2014-2015: Manawatu (ITM Cup)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    A bit of spark in the backline cannot wait to se him and Tapuai with Kyle, roll on 2016

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Another import and not even a Super rugby level/experienced player,Potencial means noting without experience on the wing
    also is this big enough as a wing in todays super rugby teams 1.84cm 95kg.... I had a quick look and more than half of the outside backs I looked up are bigger than this and quite a few are 190cm or taller and weighs more than 100kg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    then Pieter,how the fuck can you get experience without experiencing it?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    He'll get all the experience Rugby WA thinks he needs by playing on the wing for Nedlands.
    Ain't that so, Gunny?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yep,he'll experience winning culture,that's for sure,frank

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Any player we get from NZ would either be super rugby inexperienced or over the hill. Myself, I'd prefer the former because of the potential he might have. At 184 cm and 95 kilos I wouldn't like to draw him in a midget throwing contest either.
    I was under the impression that his favoured spot was fullback. DHP didn't set the comp. on fire last year so maybe he could play on the wing instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    DHP didn't set the comp. on fire last year so maybe he could play on the wing instead.
    Some people are very hard to please and/or have a very short memory.

DHP took over as FB when Jayden Hayward left at the end of 2014.
    He really slotted in and made the position his own.
    As we know the WF back line didn't get a lot of ball in 2015.

DHP highlights:
    1. Made the transition to FB very well and one of the best for the WF in 2015 (3rd in Nathan Sharp medal)
    2. Only played equiv. of 9.2 games due to injury (6 weeks - foot injury).
    3. Made some strong runs. Averaged 17 runs and 100m carries per 80 minutes. (10th in SXV) 100m av is the yardstick (Folau only av 97m)
    4. Averaged 5 kicks caught per 80 minutes - 48 for year - 8th in SXV.
    5. Was selected as FB for the SXV 2nd team (along with Ben McCalman) and was even talked about as a potential Wallaby for the RWC. The ARU wrote...
    "In a disappointing season for the Western Force, Dane Haylett-Petty was a shining light for the Sea of Blue. While he only managed to string 10 games together, he was influential in all. Haylett-Petty was a threat in attack, where he was ranked third for the season in run metres per game, averaging over 100m, while managing 17 offloads and 48 tackle busts for the season. It’s unfortunate for Haylett-Petty that he currently sits behind a once in a generation player in Israel Folau."

Lots of players went missing in 2015 but DHP wasn't one of them.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 21-12-15 at 16:01.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Some people are very hard to please and/or have a very short memory.....

......Lots of players went missing in 2015 but DHP wasn't one of them.
    Exactly. I have really enjoyed watching him since his return. A much improved player and a big unit with it now, I hope he stays healthy and gets the ball in his hands a lot more often.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Exactly. I have really enjoyed watching him since his return. A much improved player and a big unit with it now, I hope he stays healthy and gets the ball in his hands a lot more often.
    Now here's a thought.
    Jone Lance is unlikely to start much at 10 with Peter Grant in camp. So if he went to fullback that could see DHP to the wing and he IS a big unit.