Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vale Jonah Lomu

vCash

Vale Jonah Lomu

All Black Jonah Lomu runs through the French defence during the Rugby World Cup semifinal at Twickenham in 1999.

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu has reportedly died, aged 40.

Lomu battled kidney disorders since the end of 1995 when he was diagnosed with nephritic syndrome.

He had a kidney transplant in 2004.

Lomu had health setbacks since then and had been receiving dialysis treatments during his recent visit to Britain where he was involved in heavy promotional work during the Rugby World Cup.

Lomu and his family had transferred to Dubai where they were holidaying on their way back to New Zealand.

He tweeted from there two days ago.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So sad and a shock after seeing so much of him during RWC. Too young.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Wow. Just wow.

I'm deadset stunned.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    RIP

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    One of the greats of modern rugby. RIP.

vCash
    Damn it. RIP big guy.

Champion
    vCash
    Such a sad thing. I know he had a young family as well. RIP Jonah

vCash
    The man who shaped modern day rugby and a gentle giant.

Not sure who watched the program on his return to South Africa that was broadcast on Fox during the world cup, but his meeting with Joost at the end was incredible and brought more than a tear to the eye.

Two giants of the game, both struck down with illness reminiscing about the tackle Joost made on him.

So long Jonah and thank you for the memories and what you brought to our beloved game.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    The man who shaped modern day rugby and a gentle giant.

Not sure who watched the program on his return to South Africa that was broadcast on Fox during the world cup, but his meeting with Joost at the end was incredible and brought more than a tear to the eye.

Two giants of the game, both struck down with illness reminiscing about the tackle Joost made on him.

So long Jonah and thank you for the memories and what you brought to our beloved game.
    i SAW THAT.. I thought Jonah looked very unwell. The meeting with Joost made me weep too, as I've done today.
    Jerry and Jonah both playing the game they love in heaven.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    i SAW THAT.. I thought Jonah looked very unwell. The meeting with Joost made me weep too, as I've done today.
    Jerry and Jonah both playing the game they love in heaven.
    I've yet to meet anyone who saw the Jonah-Joost reunion who managed to keep a dry eye.

vCash
    R.I.P a giant of the game and a gentleman to boot.

vCash
    Remember THAT try? When he ran through Mike Catt? I know you remember that "Maori sidestep", but do you remember the crap pass he got? It was behind him. He had to stop, turn around, get the pill, then start going forward again. beating a couple before he even got to Catt.

What an absolute legend of the modern game. RIP big guy.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A very sad day for rugby and world sport in general, a legend in every sense of the word. RIP Jonah.

I think this was fitting on the social media today "The game they play in heaven just got a lot tougher"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    a link in the rugby chain has been broken R.I.P. Jonah

vCash
    Taken from the Roar today.. which is so eloquently written I just had to forward it on..written by Ben Pobjie

A rugby player can impress with a dashing run, a pinpoint pass, or a raking kick into the corner. But in my time watching rugby, there was always one feat a man could perform that took the breath away more than any other: successfully tackling Jonah Lomu.
    The degree of difficulty involved made it a spectacular act every time.
    Lomu was a monster, a mythical beast emerging from the mists of legend to terrorise the helpless villagers of the rugby world, viz: everyone not in a black jersey.
    For New Zealanders he must have seemed like a blessing from the Lord, their ultimate reward for their faith and good behaviour. For opponents he was a nightmare, an unearthly being of such stunning size, terrible power and blistering speed that it seemed unfair that he should exist.
    But the things he did on the field were so brutally beautiful that even those who winced while he was doing them could rhapsodise over him once the game was over.
    Before Jonah swept onto the world stage at the age of 19 and started detonating defences, a player like him would’ve been considered impossible. He was the answer to the eternal question: what do you get if you combine the DNA of David Campese and a semi-trailer?
    The amazing thing, when you look at the highlights of Lomu’s career, is how many defenders he didn’t actually trample. Most of the time he just left them grasping at air, weaving in and out, stepping and swerving and shimmying, like a rhinoceros in a ballet.
    That’s how he was planning to do it, in the 1995 World Cup semi-final, when he blasted through the English line and prepared to dodge artfully around fullback Mike Catt. But he was ankle-tapped as he approached, and stumbled: the second’s delay left him with no space to sidestep. Seizing the advantage, Catt crouched, ready to cut the legs from the behemoth.
    He never knew what hit him. Lomu barrelled straight into, through, and over the poor guy. It was like a deleted scene where Indiana Jones turns around and tries to stop the boulder.
    Now, there have been players who can stampede over smaller opponents. There have been players who can jink through traffic. There have been players who can explode through gaps with stunning acceleration. To see a player who could do all three made you throw your hands up in exasperation.
    The fax sent by a fan to the All Blacks during that ’95 World Cup summed it up: “Remember rugby is a team game. All 14 of you pass it Jonah.” Lomu’s only weakness seemed to be that there was only one of him.
    Of course, sadly, that wasn’t the case – the body that appeared to be the pinnacle of physical excellence had hidden vulnerabilities that cut short first his career, and now, devastatingly, unfathomably, his life. The frailty of existence strikes us like a hammer blow when someone who once embodied invincibility is snatched away.
    But how thankful we are that he lived. Anyone who loves rugby knows how lucky they are that they got to see Lomu, even if much of the time he was tearing your own team to shreds. To see him flying downfield, kicking easily away from despairing dives, stretching out one huge hand to rebuff vain attempts to grab hold of him, still bullocking towards the line even with two, three, four tacklers hanging on for dear life.
    Has anyone made rugby more exhilarating? Has anyone so exquisitely captured the most glorious parts of the game, while simultaneously evoking a poignant sense of pity for any poor sap forced to live on the same field as him? Has anyone ever more deserved in every way the tag ‘a giant of the sport’?
    Ten years after Lomu bulldozed Mike Catt, my wife and I had a son. We named him Jonah, a noble name written indelibly in our minds by the most indelible of sportsmen. Ten years after that, here we are saying goodbye to him.
    We have lost the giant, far sooner than is fair or reasonable. But it will be impossible to forget him. Today, go look at some videos of his rampages over the years, and celebrate the astounding Jonah, one of the most extraordinary men ever to tuck a ball under one arm

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast